• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Alaska-Matsu-Skiing/Paragliding with the plane

oliinthesky

Hi,
as i always have my glider/ski/bike or folding kayak in the plane for things to do after you landed,
i never meet anybody (or saw skitracks...) who is doing the same !
Would be nice to catch up with some adventures and fit (i am not slow ) pilots,
go together or exchange good sites !
I live at a private strip outside Wasilla .

I'd be up for some fly-out skiing in future years. Unfortunately, my plans to put the Cub on skis this year didn't work out.

Looks like the ski flying might be over for us in Kenai. This warm spell is taking it's toll at sea level. I'm sure it will be good up high for a while longer but without wheel skis I'm kind of stuck.

As for the use of the inflatable kayaks, that season is fast approaching. I don't know to many other wheel pilots that do that. I'm always on the hunt for my next fly in float adventure. Next time I set up to do one I'll try and remember to drop you a line. Maybe drop me a line if you are heading down my way.

I do most of my stuff on the west side of Cook Inlet.

Mike

Mike

Mike, what are you using for an inflatable kayak? I've done a bit of packrafting via Cub, but have kept it pretty tame so far.

I have 3. Small, Mid and 2 place. All made by Stearns. Each have 2 cells inside of a zipped up Hypalon outer covering. Much heavier than my Pack raft but much better for sliding over rocks and through the brush. My favorite is the mid size one. I can carry a small day pack and fit my 6' self in it. It weighs 29#'s and I can lay a pair of them flat in the plane. They are not self bailing but I've done a little white water, nothing too scary. I believe that the mid size one was $350 plus shipping.

Yesterday i was out for skiing all day-found 2 nice skispots---and one (about 20 miles NE of hatcher pass at 7000 ft ) had tracks that i happily followed ! must have been some really motivated guys---because they had only 3 skipoles ,which left funny trackmarks...i always hate it when a a skipole basket fails---but without a pair of poles...as i say, you must be super motivated !
Anyone who knows this guys ?

Hi-after a overnight trip to the sargent icefield (saw no tracks ) where i found a nice 3000 ft skirun, i landed in mud at home, so skiflying is over !!!
So it will be more paragliding biking or kayak from now-i contacted paul, the flytofly video guy already, he will be in alaska after the x-alps race !
what are Stearns rafts-can only find lifevest by googleing it, ???

Landed my wheel ski equipped experimental this morning at 8600' (plenty of snow left up high) on the way to breakfast. Didn't do anything, just the usual, took a leak and then a picture, in that order.

I really like the way the Cub para glider pilot hit the snow patch on the gravel bar on his snow skis, very cool!

No kayak carried but my folding Montague with a Rohloff rear hub (14 speeds, all gears) and a BBSHD e bike conversion (google it) still all fits in the RANS S-7, and is ready to ride away in 3 minutes after landing. With the Rohloff, the gear spread is so wide, I have a rock crawler that can get me up trails so steep they are scary to ride down, and also hit about 38 mph on the flat. I've carried Montagues for 20 years, electrifying it has been the best thing I ever did! I still pedal my ass off, but now it's like being Superman, on crack. Flying somewhere while keeping an eye peeled for trails to explore, finding one, THEN finding a place to land near that trail, riding that trail, THEN finding an LZ up top, riding back down, packing the bike up and taking off, and landing that bike found high up LZ, is......fun. I call it a FLIKE, flight combined with bike. This winter I installed a streamlined mini belly pod just to carry the batteries in, and yes I can charge in flight. 10 to 40 mile riding range, depending on speed and steepness and the effort you contribute, pretty amazing the toys we have nowadays!

Back