• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Uses for Headlamps...Watts in Your Headlamp?

WindOnHisNose

BENEFACTOR
Lino Lakes MN (MY18)
Here stands a very happy old doc, having just received his Supercub.org duffel bag, sipping out of his favorite Supercub.org coffee mug, wearing his trusty headlamp.

Duffel bag cup 1.jpg

One of the most useful items, shared in my personal and professional life, is a headlamp. I have been amazed at the number of tasks with which I find the headlamp indispensable. Working on the super cub. Fixing plumbing under the sink. Walking outside at night. Very useful.

In another thread, Survival Medicine (http://www.supercub.org/forum/showthread.php?40355-Survival-Medicine), the virtues of improvisation have been discussed and pointed out as a means of making do when the tools you would like to have simply aren't in the cards.

For example, we have medically-approved fiberoptic lights for use in surgery and for use in doing gynecologic procedures, when the area that needs illumination is...well...is not easily accessible. These lights cost thousands of $$, and as the fiber cable is moved, bent, twisted, etc due to normal wear and tear the light become diminished and with that comes the requirement for replacement. For thousands of $$. I decided to improvise and instead of replacing my "worn out" fiberoptic lamp I would go to my local REI store and purchase the highest powered headlamp I could find, and did so for less than $100! I was standing in REI by the display of headlamps, along with a couple other people, and one of the salesperson approached me and asked if he could help. Knowing of the nature of my potential purchase I said "no, thanks!" but the salesperson was feeling really helpful that day. He asked "What will you be using the headlamp for?" to which I paused and replied "I am a gynecologist and will use it to illuminate the upper portions of the vagina". The clerk blushed and the other customers beat feet.

Improvisation. I love it.

What uses have you folks found for headlamps?

Randy

Attachments

• Duffel bag cup.jpg
    Duffel bag cup.jpg
    776.2 KB · Views: 175
  • Duffel bag cup 1.jpg
    Duffel bag cup 1.jpg
    414.3 KB · Views: 225
Live life in the north and headlamps are tools for life in a dark world. My common use is for walking the dog in the dark on roads that are narrow and slick from snow. Not to illuminate my way but for recognition so drivers see me. My headlamps usually have red LEd tail lamps on the opposite side of the band for the same purpose from the opposite direction.

I have at least 3 of these, one in each plane and one in my pocket everyday. I use it a couple times a day, batteries last 6+ months.

Comes with a built in retractable headband. This one is about 6 years old

When I'm sitting around with the gals I take it out and show them the light and say " did it ever tell you I flunked out of GYN school and this is all I came home with "

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/272205796036

Glenn

Pilot and both RN and Paramedic usually have one pinned or attached with velcro to their survival vest, pilot for pilot stuff, med crew for work they do in the back and all use them for the required pre and post-flight walk-around. Hard for us to wear on head, helmet and Night Vision Goggles get in the way.

Steve

Pilot and both RN and Paramedic usually have one pinned or attached with velcro to their survival vest, pilot for pilot stuff, med crew for work they do in the back and all use them for the required pre and post-flight walk-around. Hard for us to wear on head, helmet and Night Vision Goggles get in the way.

Steve

I wear mine around my neck and upside down, can't wear it on my head for the same reason.

Upside down so you can adjust it up to shine wear you want it.

FYI: REI is one of the companies pushing on closing public lands to motorized through National Wilderness and Monument status...

I often have one on the head, and one in my pocket working winter days. Or when in the light season I carry one in the flight bag.

Stuart has the same Idea as I- great for walking as people see me!!!!

Sportsman's Warehouse had some small guys for under $15 with red, blue and white, sometimes blue red and white. Some are so bright (even small ones) I have to tape over a couple of the diodes to keep from overpowering.

Took a look at cubdriver2's posted link. Any other suggestions on headlamps you like? I'd really like to see one like stewartb has with the "tail lights" on the back.

Thanks

Took a look at cubdriver2's posted link. Any other suggestions on headlamps you like? I'd really like to see one like stewartb has with the "tail lights" on the back.

Thanks

I'm not saying that it's the perfect one for everything, but it's small enough that your likely to have it with you when you need it.

Glenn

There are too many good headlamps to list. Figure out what features are important. Spot beams, flood, high power, low power, self-contained battery or separate battery box on the band, etc. My favorite all-around headlamp is the Princeton Tec EOS. I've beat the crap out of two of them for several years and they keep on working. Better battery door and on switch than any Petzl I've had, and I do have several from over the years. My tail lights are recognition lights from Eagle Enterprises, the survival equipment store in Anchorage. Mine is quite small, runs all winter on a coin battery, and clips onto any headlamp band. Places that sell jogging and bicycle gear will have red LED safety lights, too.

I keep Glenn's favorite Petzl E-Lites tucked away in airplane, snowmachines, etc for the unexpected. They aren't my favorite everyday lights. I prefer headlamps that use AAA batteries for easy replacement. E-Lites use watch batteries but they store for years and maintain a charge.

Last edited:
My favorite is a Black Diamond because it is small, light and bright. I just bought a new one that is like 2000 lumens. We will see how it does. I use them a lot while hiking in the dark and skinning animals.

Handy working on airplanes when you need both hands too.

"My favorite all-around headlamp is the Princeton Tec EOS. I've beat the crap out of two of them for several years and they keep on working."

^^^ Ditto this. Based on my usage, investment in Princeton Tec might be prudent: 2 in the -12 at all times, 2 in the pickup at all times, 1 in each of 2 kid ATV's, 2 in grandpa's UTV, 4 at the cabin (hung from convenient fumble-around-spots inside each of the doors and at each bed), 3 in the boat, and usually 3-4 in a box at home since somehow there is shrinkage in the inventory.

Domestic uses include undersink work, spotlighting paint touchup, crawl space adventures, and regular peering at furnaces, pumps, and unit heaters. Adventure uses include almost anything you can think of, including one time used several as warning lights while replacing a UTV track on a very heavily traveled trail at 2200 one fall.

I performed an embryo transfer a few days ago, and the husband saw my headlamp, started laughing and pulled out an identical headlamp from his coat pocket...then said, "Hey, Doc, we gonna do some spelunking?" His wife and my nurse burst into uncontrollable laughter :lol:

rsc

Back