• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Glide Advisor, News You Can Use

GeeBee

Lake Lanier, GA
Fore Flight 9 has "glide advisor" which is a circle around the aircraft symbol which shows your power off glide range based upon altitude and terrain. So if you loose you suddenly find yourself in a forced landing situation and you wonder can I make it to......? If it is within the boundary, you should. I am looking forward to trying this feature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5BQnbIKqh4

Off topic I suppose but with my Acroduster 2 and most other Pitts like biplanes it's easy, look over the leading edge of the bottom wing and pick a spot.

Or carry a brick, throw it out and follow it down.:oops:

Better to know and use your best glide speed. When you lose the engine, go immediately to that airspeed and fly the airplane to the best spot you can find. Hope you don't have that 250 lb beer drinking/brat eating buddy in the back and the 35" tires on...

I thought the old Cub standard was look out at the jury struts fittings on the lift struts, anything under the view radius " might " be doable?

Glenn

I was giving an intro ride (dual) in a 172 the other day and was surprised how much more glide it had than either of the planes I fly regularly. I actually practice this stuff a fair bit in the 18 and the 180. It's good to practice at different starting speeds also (like on climb out). I have not downloaded the new FF yet but am looking forward to seeing how this feature works.

sj

FYI, Garmin Pilot added that feature last year.

It has been in lots of the glass built-in's for many years. Those I suspect are more accurate given they are for that specific airplane. I also like the "range ring" in the built ins. It shows you where you will land when you are zero fuel.

sj

With the Avare app, you enter your glide ratio and airports within gliding range will be highlighted on the "nearest" list.
But I think the circular graphic on the display is probably easier / quicker to use in a real-life engine-out scenario.

The aluminum overcast which I used to fly had that feature. It looked pretty nice until we got down to a lower altitude and started to slow toward landing speeds. Then that field to which we were headed suddenly became way out of range. It may have worked if we had planned to make a flaps and gear up landing at the destination. Certainly not without bending metal. Perhaps GeeBee's device does a better job?

sj,
You have just discovered how nice a 172 glides. It is amazing just how far it will go in a power idle situation.

sj,
You have just discovered how nice a 172 glides. It is amazing just how far it will go in a power idle situation.

Rediscovered... I probably have 800- 1000hrs in them - much instructing and lots of gliding :)

sj

So, what is the best way to "figger" out the glide ratio and speed in a highly modified cub that FF wants to know? Especially one with a crappy ASI.

sj

Now we're getting into that old seat of the pants argument. There are so many variables with our collection of Cubs that it will be hard to place a finger on one specific item.

The aluminum overcast which I used to fly had that feature. It looked pretty nice until we got down to a lower altitude and started to slow toward landing speeds. Then that field to which we were headed suddenly became way out of range. It may have worked if we had planned to make a flaps and gear up landing at the destination. Certainly not without bending metal. Perhaps GeeBee's device does a better job?

sj,

You talking about the green arc?

Anyone used the "Glide Ratio" data field on the Garmin 660? I haven't read up on the field yet, other than seeing the ratio change on final. It'll be fun to use on engine out practice. During our recent north winds, I believe I was getting 500 to 1 glide ratio ;-)

It was either green or magenta, I've forgotten which.

Completely different thing, because the variables are different as is the desired information.

The green arc shows where the airplane will reach the selected altitude based upon the current descent rate. It does not change for terrain, its placement can be changed by changing the descent rate (i.e. using drag devices) changing the selected altitude or ground speed and it does not take terrain into account. Glide advisor only shows where you will strike the ground, IF you are at the programmed glide speed and glide ratio.

I've taken the glide information from the CAA manual and precisely positioned myself from the runway in calm winds. It is uncanny how accurate the data is. I have every time touched down the exact distance extracted.

Back