• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Santa Monica again

I don't see any control inputs whatsoever. Just before it starts to weathervane, it looks like maybe he gave it a little shot of left pedal, but otherwise all surfaces are flat/neutral and unmoving. At least the damage was minor, probably just a scuffed wing tip.

Last edited:
They usually end up on their nose with gear box and firewall damage/prop strike from an excursion like that. Dodged the major damage bullet there.

https://youtu.be/0h91arMgano. Heres one ive posted on another page.

Thats what I call a serious lack of rudder skills.
My Dad was my primary flight instructor (teacher is more accurate, he was not a CFI) and one his most memorable corny old sayings was " An airplane is like a horse. You have to be in control and make it go where you want it to go. Otherwise it'll do whatever it wants and you probably won't be very happy with the outcome ".
That mindset really helped me out one day landing an AgTruck in a gusting crosswind. Immediately after touchdown, just as the weight was settling on the wheels, I got slammed from the right by a big gust. The plane immediately started to weathervane and lift the right wheel. Without hesitation everything went to the stops. The stick came back into the right corner and the left pedal went to the wall - or the hopper - along with a good stab of brake. As a result the airplane got its act back together and we finished the rollout with no further drama. I'm glad I had a good teacher because it was a narrow strip and failure to maintain directional control would have left me in a ditch with a seriously damaged machine.

Fear of the wind, especially crosswinds, keep more pilots on the ground than just about anything else. The more you avoid them, the worse you are at handling them. I personally love crosswinds and love to teach in them. I think they are fun, especially the big ones!

sj

I went to Portland last week to look at a grader that's for sale close to the jet port. Checked the winds when I left, 15 gusts 20. 20 miles out the ATIS is saying 25 G 30. At least it's down the numbers, but the stall on the sport cub is 32 and the gusts were all of that. It was pretty sporty on the 90 degree turn to the FBO. Portland tower told the taxiing JetBlue to hold up, this should be good. Fly them to the chocks

Exactly right SJ on your wind comments. Going to run that one up the
new pilots flagpole this afternoon, because we sure have ticked the wx gods off here in Maine, day 4 of blast freezer winds
no flying again today

jim

Fear of the wind, especially crosswinds, keep more pilots on the ground than just about anything else. The more you avoid them, the worse you are at handling them. I personally love crosswinds and love to teach in them. I think they are fun, especially the big ones!

sj
While I'd rate it as excellent training, having been there done and that with you and I'm glad it was your airplane and at least one of us thought that it was fun...

Last edited:
While I'd rate it as excellent survival training having been there done and that with you and I'm glad you at least one of us thought that it was fun...

Kirby
the most sweat I ever lost was in a 180 doing crosswind landings with an instructor in a gusty crosswind. Sure separates the men from the boys, no hair on my chest that day. You 180 drivers have my envy

jim

Yes, with about 600 hours in Pitts Specials and other short coupled homebuilts my C-180 challenged me more than any of those.

IMHO, the challenge of the 180/185 for cub pilots and pilots of other highly responsive airplanes is that it is important to anticipate or sense what is going to happen next and start correcting for it and then HOLD the correction in. Most people make stabs at the rudders in a cub and it straightens right up. The 180 takes more patience and planning - but is a pussycat once you get it dialed in.

Kirby, I don't even remember that so it must not have been too exciting...

sj

It's not just little aeroplanes. Without going into details, I was in the jump seat of a 78 recently. TO 27 to 34 kts x-wind and steady rain.

Zero aileron was put in during the T/O and at about V1 the thing starts skipping sideways. The main man decided to pull it off about 15 to 10kts prior to VR. Thankgod. We rotated mid way between the centreline and the edge. If he left it to VR we would have been taking out lights on the edge of the strip.

Keep those wings level guys.

IMHO, the challenge of the 180/185 for cub pilots and pilots of other highly responsive airplanes is that it is important to anticipate or sense what is going to happen next and start correcting for it and then HOLD the correction in. Most people make stabs at the rudders in a cub and it straightens right up. The 180 takes more patience and planning - but is a pussycat once you get it dialed in.

Kirby, I don't even remember that so it must not have been too exciting...

sj
Oh my!

sj

I share the same affliction. Really need to get my CFI. Pretty at home in the back seat of the cub with my dad flying on a windy day.

When I first got my license my CFI would not cancel for any wind. I sure do appreciate that today.

The secondary problem I see in this video is his lack of commitment, either 3 point or wheel landing.

Tim

SJ
When you come to Maine in August to the flyin I will book some time in the 180 with you. Looking forward to it. Jim

Last edited:
was watching the grass in the cub video. That guy needed an instructor. Not only rudder, but watch the ailerons.

On the Tripacer video, watch it again: The sock at the end is in a depression and showing about 12 kts at the beginning, while the sock in front of the camera, which is up higher, is strait out showing more than 15- probably 20+ kts.

Why is this important? Windsocks lie!!!! Don't let a glance at a sock convince you to do something beyond your ability.

Next, when the tripacer rolls onto the runway, which way is the sock pointed? It appears to me the pilot has a quartering TAILWIND. That quartering wind would easily pull a light tail up and over if the pilot has stick full back- tailwind=reverse control until forward speed is above windspeed.

Where is your stick when you are taxing?

Have to do some of that pilot stuff once and a while. Like using the option to abort. Roughest I ever had it, the windsock was hanging limp, but piviting around the pole. Was all I could do to keep the greasy side down. Legs had rasberries from stick slap.

Socks out west seem to freeze on the pole showing wind directly opposite of what it really is.

I look for the tails, usually you can figure where the wind is that way, but sometimes you just have to say no.

Good videos, thanks for posting them.

I would love to see armchair footage of my landings! Guess what? People are filming on nice days, which most of us cub drivers are not used to. Land every time as if its going to be a hit on youtube, then you'll strive not to be on a video on sc dot org.

Last edited:
Heres another. Cant see much but it doesnt look good all the way down. Pretty good breeze in the grass at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vfy5SRKxO_c
Turbulence, yes. Crosswind, not much. Look at the amount of crab and the wind angle on the water. Wind velocity less than 14. No white caps on the water. It appears that he was too slow on final as the stall light was flashing a lot. Looks like he was a student as the pilot on the right got out first to talk to the motorcycle driver. Are there brakes on the right side for the instructor in a Maule? My guess is NO which is why the instructor pulled the mixture before he came to a stop.

It's amazing what one can observe and hopefully learn by watching.

Third generation pilot. My Dad would have me establish total direction control by fanning the rudder left and right to almost over control it. On the fast ones like the Pitts, slow ones like the Stearman it made landings very controlled because I am ready to flash the rudder to maintain direction. Haven't ground looped yet, but i'm not done. JMO.

Interesting choice of words. "Fanning" the rudder" is exactly the opposite of what I taught when I was instructing in the S2 Pitts. Over controlling is not uncommon for a newcomer and teaching them to not wipe out the cockpit with the controls before they effect change is something I taught early on. Your last line tells a lot, hope you don't "flash" the rudder at the wrong time.

Back