• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Thrustline Cowling Modification

sub3

KANE
I'm considering the thrustline mod on my 160hp super cub project. If I do it, what are the recommended modifications to the cowling? I'm recovering, striping and painting so i'm not concerned about paint lines, just unsightly gaps.

ron

nose bowl raises about 2.25 inches,by the way it makes a massive difference to visibility on the flare whilst landing at minimum speed,can be difficult when landing with lots of obstacles like lots of driftwood on a beach.

I'm considering the thrustline mod on my 160hp super cub project. If I do it, what are the recommended modifications to the cowling? I'm recovering, striping and painting so i'm not concerned about paint lines, just unsightly gaps.

I always make new cowlings at rebuild anyway, beef up the normal cracking areas, make bottom a bit wider in rear so airbag don't rub hole(round air filter version).... so just make new to fit nice,

stripping some of that piper paint can be a real chore with some versions they used...

(what was that stuff Piper used that the stripper don't touch anyway??)

I just installed the Thrustline on my Super Cub today. It did raise the nose a little but not as much as my extended gear and Bushwheels and don't belive it obstructs enough that I can't see objects on the gravel bars I land on. I pull the nose bowl down giving me about1/4- 3/8" clearance above the flywheel. Dropped the nose bowl 5/8" below where it was before.
5f3215434f00cee05a304e8cd4d59f1f.jpg
5a32ecf1077b0370c81aa8a293a9d107.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using SuperCub.Org mobile app

I run a banner tow operation in Cape Cod Ma with two pa12's, 160hp j3 and a pa 18. I installed the thrustline mod on the 18 a couple years ago and love it. I found almost a 50-100 rpm drop under tow since the mod. People who say it effects the vision over the nose obviously haven't flown blind tail draggers before its a non issue. I recommend it.

Steve P....Have you got a feel for how it's affected your cubs performance? I understand it helps some more than others?

IMG_1092.jpg

I did not do any mod to the cowlings after installing the Thrustline Mod kit. I don't think it looks all that bad.

Karl

Attachments

• IMG_1092.jpg
    IMG_1092.jpg
    823.1 KB · Views: 305
Yes Denny,

I did use the short ones included with the kit Mark sent me. Come to think of it, it is a mod but I was thinking more in the line of sheet metal. He also sent me the full length ones, but I haven't taken the time to install them yet.

Karl

Last edited:
What does the kit include? Any photos prior to install and post install?

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

IMG_1102.jpg

Can only provide post mod picture. You can clearly see the 2 mounts to which the engine mount attaches to. Also, by zooming the picture, you can see the short channel extension attaching to the firewall.

Karl

Attachments

• IMG_1102.jpg
    IMG_1102.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 607
Back