• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Can a Garmin 430 accept WAAS in?

Tom3holer

Cape Cod
I am looking to update my avionics and have a question.
As 2020 is approaching and I will need ADS-B can you feed the WAAS feed from a WAAS xponder to a Garmin 430 and make it WAAS?

Tom

Great question

i assume you do not own the GNS430W unit?

wish I had one. Still a good unit!!

Dave,
No I don't but was wondering if it was possible as you have a WAAS gps signal from a xponder so equipped.
I doubt it although knowing Garmin.

There are a few shops that will take in your straight '430 and sell you a '430W. Might be the easiest route if you want to build the ADS-B system with your '430.

Web

We sent our 430 in and had WAAS installed, along with terrain avoidance, (I don't know if the avoidance system was included in all of the WAAs installs or not). We sent it back to Garmin to have this done when they had a program to do this for all 430 owners if I recall correctly, (I've had a beer since then). Jon

Call Garmin at their aviation support number and ask them its on the website.

Tom, if you buy a transponder with a waas receiver it cannot upgrade your 430 to waas. The 430 upgrade requires a firmware update and possibly a receiver update depending on the age of the receiver you have. You must spend the 2-3 grand with garmin to upgrade. I'm pretty sure that's what garmin will tell you.

Thats right. I was wondering if any of the new WAAS ADS-B xponders have the waas signal available vis bluetooth or wifi for use with other equipment like an EFB.

Back