• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

EDM 900 vs. CGR-30P

sub3

KANE
I've decided to put an engine monitor in the Super Cub project (certified). I have the JPI EDM 900 in my Cessna 180 and don't have any complaints other than it occasionally flashes "bad probe" when I first turn it on.

I'd like to try the CGR-30P in the super cub because of its compact size but have had a couple mechanics I trust talk me out of it... Missed the Fall sale because of that :(

What do you think? Stick with the JPI or try the Electronics International?

I am told by reliable sources that EI has much better customer support than JPI.
I have no experience with JPI but love my CGR-30P.

I'd recommend a CGR 30P for a Cub panel. Takes a lot less space than the JPI's. JPI's products are MUCH better than they were a few years ago and I don't have a lot of bad things to say about their service. But I can't give enough praise to E.I.'s customer service. In the past they have done quick turns on repairs and have even done an occasional repair free of charges.
The wiring for the two systems are not much different so it will come down to size and picture. The best thing you can do is to look at each one, in an aircraft, and see if you like the picture and controls.
You might want to ask why the mechanics didn't like the E.I. stuff. Most issues with these types of instruments are due to problems with connecting the wiring not with the instrument itself.

Web

Have done two EDM 900 installations and been involved in 2 others. 1 is in my personal C180.

I had an issue with mine and turnaround was very fast with no return freight charge.

I like it alot!

Tech support from JPI has been very good for me!

I have the EI unit in my Husky, the JPI in my cub and like the EI look, size and display better than the JPI. EI seems to be more user friendly, size is perfect and looks the best in my opinion.
John

Between a JPI-900 and the EI CGR-30P in a Cub panel? No question - go with the EI so you're not giving up 1/4 of your entire panel.

I had an EI CGR-30P in my Commander 114, and it was wonderful. Extremely easy to read, and since I was able to use a 3 1/8" opening, I could put it right next to my 6-pack for easy viewing and access. I found the CGR-30P to be very easy to use, after only a casual read of the manual. Many things that were a PITA to remember on the JPI 700-series I had in a previous airplane were MUCH easier (more logical to me) on the EI. I used to keep the JPI-700 manual with me at all times, because there were many things I could not do without referencing the book, even after 3+ years of ownership and 250 hours... I did the same with the EI, but found I almost never needed the manual.

Both EI and JPI make great products. I personally like that when I call EI, I am speaking with someone who isn't just a "tech support" person, but almost always am talking with one of the engineers who designed/built the product. Not that JPI's support isn't good, it's just that EI's is even better.

The JPI EDM900 fits in a 3 1/8" hole but presents a rectangle that offsets slightly from the 3 1/8" hole. FYI

I'd recommend a CGR 30P for a Cub panel. Takes a lot less space than the JPI's. ...

Size is a double-edged sword. A good example...
my first GPS was a Garmin Pilot 3, I later upgraded to a Garmin 196.
The pilot 3 could do just about everything the 196 could do,
but the 196's screen was much larger & way easier to see.
But on the down side, it took up a lot more room.
That's kind of how I see the GCR vs EDM.

3.48"x 4.8" edge to edge on the EDM 900, behind that the unit is 3.125" D.

CGR30P is 3.125" hole, but the instrument mount behind that hole and takes up slightly mor than 3.125".

....just sayin'. If you wanted an EDM 900, you could have one and the size matters, because the primary functions are on 1 screen all day long. The CGR30p requires you to change screens to get some primary functions? am I wrong?

just sayin'...........Ford/Chevy?

The CGR30P is a nice unit for sure. We've got one in our company X-cub. I'd love to put one in my personal SuperCub, I'm just not sure how many engine monitor instruments I really need. My old mechanic hated engine monitors, he said he spent too much time chasing down non existent problems. Personally I like them.

The argument that having full digital engine instrumentation causes too many "false problems" is ridiculous, and if an A&P told me that he actually believed that crap, I would find another A&P immediately. The issue is the lack of training on the use of those instruments, both on the part of the Pilot and the A&P mechanic.

I'm no guru on this subject, but I have taken the trouble to educate myself, including taking the Advanced Pilot Seminar (APS). I would have to say that i learned more about engine operation from that course than in rest of my 41 years of flying. Best education dollars I ever spent.

At least twice, having detailed (and logged) engine data enabled my A&P and I to almost immediately diagnose and correct problems that might otherwise have gone unresolved, or to have been much more difficult (and expensive!) to figure out. Fouled plugs and clogged fuel injectors become immediately obvious once you understand how to read the gauges, and it's nice to say "Please clean the #4 injector." instead of "I'm having a problem rough-running engine, can you fix it?" And doing a LOP mag check on a regular basis will tell you more about the health of your ignition system (and predict early failures) than doing the regular pre-flight mag check ever will. Long term trend analysis on your EGT readings can provide early indication of exhaust valve failures. The list goes on and on...

Installed several CGR30Ps and sold a bunch more for installation in Super Cubs. The display is easy to read in my opinion and I have one eye and muct wear glasses. 8) . I have always had excellent service out of EI even years after the sale, had 4 very bad experiences with JPI. I have sold some of their products but always hate dealing with them if there are any problems down the road.

Hello! I’m planning to get an engine instrument for my Cub! Looking at the EI CGR30-P or the JPI 900/930. Are either capable of communicating with the iPad? Or how does it work to get the data out? Which do you recommend?

Hello! I’m planning to get an engine instrument for my Cub! Looking at the EI CGR30-P or the JPI 900/930. Are either capable of communicating with the iPad? Or how does it work to get the data out? Which do you recommend?

The cgr comes with a usb port, and a usb stick to download and update the unit. Works great! Super user friendly

I'm wrestling with this same question now on current airplane, which has engine instruments scattered all over the panel, most well hidden by something (like a control yoke).

I have used JPI instruments in several work airplanes, and my current airplane has an EI tachometer, which is purely awful, since the display is tiny and it's mounted waaaaaay down low on the panel (not EIs fault).

After a lot of hours staring at JPI instruments, I had only one failure, and their response was fast and very fair. So no complaints about service. Ottis Cameron is their expert, who attends all the shows, and he is very sharp.

So, I'm leaning toward the EDM 900 for the reasons Dave noted above, especially having all instruments on one page all the time, and the size of the display. BUT, this is in a Cessna panel, NOT a Cub panel.

Frankly, I think the EI CGR 30 was simply made for the SUper Cub panel.

MTV

Hands down, the CGR-30P for a Cub sized panel. The JPI 900 series has a great screen but way to big to be reasonable in anything smaller than a Cessna panel.

Web

I'm wrestling with this same question now on current airplane, which has engine instruments scattered all over the panel, most well hidden by something (like a control yoke).

I have used JPI instruments in several work airplanes, and my current airplane has an EI tachometer, which is purely awful, since the display is tiny and it's mounted waaaaaay down low on the panel (not EIs fault).

After a lot of hours staring at JPI instruments, I had only one failure, and their response was fast and very fair. So no complaints about service. Ottis Cameron is their expert, who attends all the shows, and he is very sharp.

So, I'm leaning toward the EDM 900 for the reasons Dave noted above, especially having all instruments on one page all the time, and the size of the display. BUT, this is in a Cessna panel, NOT a Cub panel.

Frankly, I think the EI CGR 30 was simply made for the SUper Cub panel.

MTV

Check out the Horizons tach. Larger display (3 1/8") and does similar functions as the E.I. tach. And for you guys having trouble seeing the display on E.I. instruments, using the backlight (on full), in the display helps a lot.

Web

Web,

Thanks, I've had Horizon tachs in a couple planes and you are correct, they are a great instrument. There are other instrument issues, though.
MTV

I have sold and installed several CGR30Ps in Super Cubs and I like it for it's size and information given. I have sold some JPI900 series but they all went into Cessna 180s. You might want to look at this thread with some pictures of several Super Cub panels. http://www.supercub.org/forum/showthread.php?54930-Cgr-30-p The CGR has RS232 outputs and inputs to communicate with other avionics etc. I have wired them into 496 and 796 GPS but don't know of a way to integrate it to an iPad.

Apples to apples comparison:

If you want to equal a EDM 830 you need the CGR30P and a CGR30C.

I believe the CGR will take digital or analog fuel sender signals, and the EDM is analog only. <-obviously not relevant in a cub but something to think about.

I would go with the CGR, especially since I can purchase it from Pierce Aero.

Tim

Back