Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tips on getting unstuck

Post Thanks / Like
    TurboBeaver: We used what we had! Nothing else available up there...., and actually, the shoes offered a fair bit of surface area to the compacted snow. Angled out a bit, they held better then nothing, which was his other option. With an entrenched high pressure system, and real calm conditions, I at least slept OK that night, good timing, lucky timing actually, with that.

At work today, I expected to get a text from him around 8 or 9, saying he had made it out. By 11:30 I was starting to think the worst. Then he texted and said the delay was due to a tailwind, so they waited as long as possible for it to die, which it did, but not long enough for it to soften up again. I'll get the blow by blow account plus see the video in a few days, should be a hoot.
    Thanks brown bear thanked for this post
    Likes windy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mvivion View Post
    Absolute best medicine to getting stuck on skis....laughter! If you can’t laugh about it, you’d best make a nice warm camp and prepare for the duration.

One additional “trick” when sorta stuck, but thrust just won’t quite get you going: IF you have a constant speed prop, run up max power, then pull that prop control all the way to the coarse pitch stop, then shove it all the way to fine pitch. It’ll generate an impressive surge of thrust....for a short time, but many times just enough to get going.

MTV
    After the “What the hell did I just do!” Evaluation. Before any digging commenced I got in by myself to “Maybe” power out of it. Surprised it moved almost 3 feet by cycling the prop. Then it wasn’t going anywhere. The prop was just barely off the snow to start with as well as resting on the belly with one wingtip a couple of inches above the snow. Amazing it even moved at all with most of the skis and gear/suspension and belly pod under the snow. Not to mention those GLH3000 skis had that huge weight of wet snow piled in front of the tire. Nonetheless it was a great learning experience. If any of you happen to be up at Alexander Lake near the outlet and notice that it looks like a truck buried itself on the shoreline........I know the individual involved.LOL Did I mention BIG scoop shovels are cool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by courierguy View Post
    TurboBeaver: We used what we had! Nothing else available up there...., and actually, the shoes offered a fair bit of surface area to the compacted snow. Angled out a bit, they held better then nothing, which was his other option. With an entrenched high pressure system, and real calm conditions, I at least slept OK that night, good timing, lucky timing actually, with that.

At work today, I expected to get a text from him around 8 or 9, saying he had made it out. By 11:30 I was starting to think the worst. Then he texted and said the delay was due to a tailwind, so they waited as long as possible for it to die, which it did, but not long enough for it to soften up again. I'll get the blow by blow account plus see the video in a few days, should be a hoot.
    I know what your saying! Guys gotta do what ever he can...........
    Good thing you were around to save his butt. Flying around landing at those altitudes, in jeans n sneakers???
    Sounds about the same as what guys are doing around here as well???? I can only imagine the only back up plan; must be
    to wait for US Govt to come and save
    their sorry as×....????
    Glad it all worked out for him this time.
    E

Sent from my LM-X210 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboBeaver View Post
    ….. I used to secure my Cub to a full 55gal barrel of fuel under each wing. Came back lots of times and found it had drug the two nearly 700lb (total) drums all over the place?....
    One airport I fly into pretty often has a guy who regularly ties his airplane(s) down to 5 gallon buckets filled with concrete.
    Worse than not tying down at all IMHO but they're his airplanes.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!
    Likes TurboBeaver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    My buddy who I helped out returned my snowshoes and car I had lent him today while I was at work, but not my tie down ropes and fuel jug.?? He needs to realize those are my lucky ropes, (they've never left me down) I've used those same 12' long 1/2" dacron ropes for front spar tie downs longer then he has been alive, no kidding. I don't want to hear from anyone here about how some newer type rope is better for tying down, I just want my lucky ropes back. Never used outside for extended periods just on flying trips, so not UV worn. My tail tie down rope, is my original hang glider harness rope from 1972, that you clip your harness into, and I don't lend that out ever. Not that I'm superstitious....I just want my damn ropes back.
    Thanks Eddy Lewis thanked for this post
    Likes 40m, CamTom12 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    My buddy who I helped out returned my snowshoes and car I had lent him today while I was at work, but not my tie down ropes and fuel jug.?? He needs to realize those are my lucky ropes, (they've never left me down) I've used those same 12' long 1/2" dacron ropes for front spar tie downs longer then he has been alive, no kidding. I don't want to hear from anyone here about how some newer type rope is better for tying down, I just want my lucky ropes back. Never used outside for extended periods just on flying trips, so not UV worn. My tail tie down rope, is my original hang glider harness rope from 1972, that you clip your harness into, and I don't lend that out ever. Not that I'm superstitious....I just want my damn ropes back.
    NO tie downs rope yet, plus he still has my snow shovel that comes apart for easy storage in the plane. I guess it's up to me to come get them, the least I can do. Oh wait, I let him know yesterday I was going to fly over there to his town, on other business, and as he said he'd be around I assumed I get could my stuff back then. So I fly in, right at the time I had mentioned, get my bike out and run a few errands, and then go over to his hangar and he is gone and it is locked up. Via text, the next day, he told me he had had to leave, but apparently didn't think to leave my stuff where I could get at it. No problem, it's good to know my gear is safe, locked up in his hangar, instead of rattling around in my plane. And, I understand, he was too busy to let me know he'd be gone. And my SUV I loaned him, that has less fuel in it now? Well that just saves weight for when I next drive it. As does the lesser gas weight in the plane after I flew to get him off that ridge top. It's just good to know how it is supposed to work, when you put your butt and aircraft at risk and use your fuel, time, and equipment to help someone out, the least you can also do is round up your gear later yourself and buy your own gas, I guess I had it wrong. The last time I needed similar help, I filled the helper pilot's plane fuel tanks without thinking things through, this guy has taught me a lot.
    Likes Brandsman, flylowslow liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    NO tie downs rope yet, plus he still has my snow shovel that comes apart for easy storage in the plane. I guess it's up to me to come get them, the least I can do. Oh wait, I let him know yesterday I was going to fly over there to his town, on other business, and as he said he'd be around I assumed I get could my stuff back then. So I fly in, right at the time I had mentioned, get my bike out and run a few errands, and then go over to his hangar and he is gone and it is locked up. Via text, the next day, he told me he had had to leave, but apparently didn't think to leave my stuff where I could get at it. No problem, it's good to know my gear is safe, locked up in his hangar, instead of rattling around in my plane. And, I understand, he was too busy to let me know he'd be gone. And my SUV I loaned him, that has less fuel in it now? Well that just saves weight for when I next drive it. As does the lesser gas weight in the plane after I flew to get him off that ridge top. It's just good to know how it is supposed to work, when you put your butt and aircraft at risk and use your fuel, time, and equipment to help someone out, the least you can also do is round up your gear later yourself and buy your own gas, I guess I had it wrong. The last time I needed similar help, I filled the helper pilot's plane fuel tanks without thinking things through, this guy has taught me a lot.
    At least you know to not answer next time he gets stuck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes skywagon8a, flylowslow liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Probably left for the mountain.. where he left your ropes in the snow!

Post Thanks / Like
    Suck it up, your like me, you'll do it again because you have to. It's in your DNA

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Likes 40m liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a Golden Rule pilot dealing with one who's not.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    You get them everywhere - and I’ll bet that if the roles were reversed he wouldn’t be out there helping you. Quite a lot of descriptors spring to mind but I won’t share them - other than churlish knave.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org
    'There can be no liberty unless there is economic liberty".
    Margaret Thatcher