• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Tips on getting unstuck

The problem with dyneema rope is it requires a thimble and splice to terminate. It breaks on itself if you use conventional knots, but conventional knots are all I know. At least the backlash isn’t lethal like with steel cable. If you do get by with a regular knot and the line has had a load? May as well cut it because that knot isn’t coming out. ;)[/QUOTE]

If you tie a loop knot: bowline, girth hitch, sheet bend, or even a granny knot that is going to be under extreme load, especially in mud or freezing conditions, I put a 1 inch peeled stick in the loop. If you leave about a foot sticking out on one end you'll be able to pull it out and the knot will have plenty of slack to take it apart. I have towed heavy skiffs, behind a seiner from Bristol Bay to Ketchikan and pulled the knot apart, no problem.

This also gives the rope a "thimble" to spread out the load. I have never had dyneema break on itself, but will keep that tip in my back pocket. Thanks Stewart.

No, just hauling around the come-along and rope all those years and never used it.
It seems like I was always looking for limbs or some kind of wood to get the skiis up on and then used the scoop shovel and snowshoes to do the rest.
Hacking away with a hatchet has given way to using the electric saw.
I am sure some day I will wish I had the come along though.
Guess if I haven't used a come along in 40 years I probably won't start this year.

Cubs are light. Try unsticking a C-185 that submarined under a snowy ice layer into a foot of water above the real lake surface. Two red faced overweight dingers shoveling axing and winching got it back on top. I had to drive it up on the lake shore then winch the tail with tires down 180 to blast out of there. Oh...and someone forgot to load the snowshoes. Guess who's job that was? Did three passes over the LZ to pack it first but didn't see water percoating up until too late. Always wait a few minutes after packing to see if it's wet below. We wore bunny boots full of water when it was done.

Gary

Back