• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Ski sign off question

Marshmallow

Missoula Montana
Hello:
I just finished installing my skis on my plane. I made new SS cables (1/8"), made new bungie cords (1/2") that at I got from Stoddards. I installed new longer bolts in my landing gear due to the brackets needed. I followed AC 43.13-2B chapter 5 for installation guidance. I did use Federal 11A109 retaining washers to hold the skis on the axle. I weighed my skis and they weigh 14.5 pounds each, and my tires weigh 17 pounds.

My question is this...since these are federal A1500 skis and are on the TDC, can an A&P sign off the installation (I am not a certified mechanic, but have been working on my own planes for 16 years)? Also, it is my guess that the equipment list and weight an balance will also need to be updated. Is this all the paper work that will be involved for my to legally fly?

Thanks, Bob

Attachments

• 20170103_152542.jpg
    20170103_152542.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 305
Bob,

Yes, an A and P mechanic can sign off those skis. He'll want to work a new w/b and equipment list, assuming you have one (and you should). Other than that, go have some fun. Just remember to take along good cold weather camping gear.....

MTV

I think you just need a new W&B and I think you can put them on and off yourself?

Do yourself a favor before you fly it. Go out where the struts meet the wing and lift one side up off the ground and make sure it looks like it should in a flying attitude to proof your work.

Glenn

Last edited:
I believe the regs say that after the first sign-off then you are legal to do it yourself.Just how I understood it.

Bill

I believe the regs say that after the first sign-off then you are legal to do it yourself.Just how I understood it.

Bill

Ive always understood this to be the case. That said, you'll always find folks who say that installing/removing skis is not a "preventive maintenance" item. But, for sure, that initial install needs to be signed off by a certificate mechanic.

MTV

P/M as long as no hydraulic fittings are involved. Given that most owners put a temporary hose clamp over expanding brake pads or insert a spacer in disc calipers and leave them installed as is...no hydraulics are wrenched. That's what my I/A says and he knows lots more than I ever will.

GAP

As per stewartb's statement.

Look at Part 43, appendix A, (c) preventive maintenance. Line 18 states "Replacing wheels and skis where no weight and balance computation is involved." That means that the first time you switch to skis, you need to work up a new weight/balance sheet and you need to be an A&P to make that official. That's where the 'first time' idea comes from. Once you have a weight/balance sheet for wheels and for skis, as the owner/operator, you can switch back and forth as necessary and log that as preventive maintenance noting which weight/balance sheet you are now using.

Web

Attachments

• Cub equipment List.pdf
    109.5 KB · Views: 182
  • Cub weight and balance extremes.pdf
    135.4 KB · Views: 174
  • Cub weight and balance history.pdf
    271 KB · Views: 157
Good to see you're getting close Bob.

IMG_1958.JPG

This was yesterday on the Noxon reservoir. It was all sun, about 0º and just a little east wind. Oh and all fun.

I meant to ask before, do you have sea plane lifting eyes? It sure makes it easier to swap over to skis with the chain hoist. If you don't, consider installing a set.

Attachments

• IMG_1958.JPG
    IMG_1958.JPG
    229.4 KB · Views: 142
Back