• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Federal 1500A's Bottom and Skeg Options

Sasquatch

Alaska
I've read a lot on ski bottoms but still have a couple questions. I'm replacing ski bottoms on Federal 1500A's. Current bottoms are showing deep, long cracks and were done with (very heavy) 1/2" UHMW extended 2" out to be 12" wide, attached with countersunk machine screws. They had the center skeg removed and a small steel skeg bolted on the edge.

Sounds like 1/4" is ideal for extending 2+" out, and 3/16" works for anything less. I'm thinking 3/16" extended 1 1/2". Should save quite a bit of weight.

UHMW skeg seems the way to go, is there a problem just bolting a skeg on at the ski edge? or both edges? The aluminum seems thin where you would use self tapping screws or rivnuts to attach the center skeg.

Thanks for any info!

Sasquatch,
I did my 1500s a few years ago and it was one of the most rewarding mods I've done. Used 3/16 uhmw and riveted with 1-1/2" extension. I made my skegs with uhmw also and did use rivnuts with countersunk screws to attach. Easy to replace a skeg but still haven't had to. But we don't get the ski time like some guys here. It's wild how well they slide even on asphalt with no damage. Also cured the freezing down problem. It is a time consuming mod, use some of the screw type clecoes also as at the bend it will want to wrinkle. There is already some good threads here on the subject with pics. Again, when you first put them on, you will say why didn't I do this years ago!
Blue Skies,
Den

I did my 1500A skis with 1/8 uhmw almost 20 years ago. When I first did them I put the center steel skeg back on by tapping a 1/4 x 28 thread into the bottoms and use a flathead machine screw loctited. But I still would freeze down a couple times a winter so a couple years ago I removed the steel and changed the skeg to a 1/4 x1" strip of uhmw and put the screws a little closer together. Works fine. Problem is I still freeze down once in a while even though I let the skis cool after a long taxi and then pull the skis back into their tracks.

Glenn

Thanks, was able to get some 1/4" UHMW pretty cheap so will be using that.

Any paint recommendations?

Thank you! Do I need to remove all the tunnel rivets and rivet thru those holes or can I leave them in and make another row of rivets about a 1/2 inch in full length on both sides to attach the plastic?

Back