• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA-18 Float Fittings: Weld on vs Bolt on - Looking For Installed Pix...

Airframes fit the joggle in the longeron at that station, Atlee Dodge fittings are straight and require splitting the difference in gap, clamping in place and welding filling a slight gap.

Never used Airframes, do they fit$180 better than Atlees? Lots of ways to take care of that little gap.

Edit, that may look like a a smart ass comment. I'd legitimate like to know if they are that much better to justify the $.

Last edited:
I can’t believe no one mentioned the “weight” factor. Just saying.
weld on and don’t look back;)
There is likely very little difference in weight between the weld on steel fittings and the bolt on aluminum fittings, since the mass of the aluminum plus the U bolts is greater than the steel. My guess is the difference is only a few ounces if that. If you fully expect to go on floats one day, I do like the weld on fittings. For one thing they are more compact.

Never used Airframes, do they fit$180 better than Atlees? Lots of ways to take care of that little gap.

Edit, that may look like a a smart ass comment. I'd legitimate like to know if they are that much better to justify the $.
There didn't use to be that much of a price difference. They are lighter and easier to weld on. I'll have to look up the weights. Probably not with $180 to me but I wold leave that up to the customer. They guy I know who spends the most time on floats prefer the bolt on fittings.

I think my name was implied:roll: The only reason I like the bolt on fittings is they don't seem to have a corrosion trap like the weld on do. I just spray the heck out of my weld ons with acf-50. I have no solution other than that.

Tango, the one hour is only to change between floats and wheels. It doesn't include removing the bolt on fittings. Like you said that can take quite a while depending on lots of factors.

In looking through this old discussion I am confused why anyone; unless they are done flying floats for good; would ever want to remove the fittings each year. I’m rebuilding my 180 cub, (photo above prior to engine) and welding on fittings, but those bolt on fittings have not been off for 25 years. Just inspect each annual, like anything else. No sense wearing them out taking on and off.

I think my name was implied:roll: The only reason I like the bolt on fittings is they don't seem to have a corrosion trap like the weld on do. I just spray the heck out of my weld ons with acf-50. I have no solution other than that.

I see you felt that ripple in the Force. ;)

When it comes to ACF-50, I think you have substance abuse issues.

Jerry

In looking through this old discussion I am confused why anyone; unless they are done flying floats for good; would ever want to remove the fittings each year. I’m rebuilding my 180 cub, (photo above prior to engine) and welding on fittings, but those bolt on fittings have not been off for 25 years. Just inspect each annual, like anything else. No sense wearing them out taking on and off.
I think you misunderstood what I said in post #12. I wasn't suggesting that the fittings on the fuselage would be removed each year.

Back