• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Simple Hangar Contruction Hangar to house Cub.

Fatchanceair

I'm interested in any idea's to build a simple structure to house a Cub. I live on a grass strip in the northeast. My idea is to build shed style hanger. Simple structure, dirt floor open in front. Eventually have a simple door on the front.
I want hanger to look like your back in 1940's. Very tasteful, yet simple. something that looks like a Cub belongs in to.
Any pictures of what some may have to store there Cubs would be great.
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm interested in any idea's to build a simple structure to house a Cub. I live on a grass strip in the northeast. My idea is to build shed style hanger. Simple structure, dirt floor open in front. Eventually have a simple door on the front.
I want hanger to look like your back in 1940's. Very tasteful, yet simple. something that looks like a Cub belongs in to.
Any pictures of what some may have to store there Cubs would be great.
Thanks.

Where do you hang your hat at?

Glenn

Any ice forming on Ossipee yet? Gotta be cooling off.
I'd source some nice round top trusses to keep the 1940's hangar architecture. I pulled some std trusses from just across the border in Maine for my Dad's camp there a number of years ago, but I don't know who has round top truss designs these days.

pb

Out of curiosity, I thought Windsock Villiage all had hangars integrated with the homes. Not the case?

image.jpegimage.jpeg
Most houses have detached hangers, however there are a few true hanger homes.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    212.5 KB · Views: 229
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    43.7 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
Clay, I probably wouldn't recommend the flat roof in the New Hampshire snowload region, unless I missed something in that PDF.

It's a simple structure. A pole barn with a 40 foot (or as needed) clear span truss roof, ideally a bowspring truss for period asthetics, metal roofing and T1-11 or metal siding, and sliding front doors. A hydraulic front door would be much nicer if it doesn't conflict with the look. There is a couple of near freestanding door choices that work very well.
A good crew could erect it in a week once the ground work was done.

pb.

Starts to become not so simple... Whatever floats a guy's boat. I'm in the Hudson Valley at a little grass strip where we have several slant roof structures withstanding snow load for 60 odd years. We post them in the winter. If done right you can still move airplane in and out, and its cheap as can be.

The PDF was written for fellas in Texas, so yes...you mileage may vary.

I am a believer in building hangers a tad wider and taller than most.

Great to have a cub hanger, but if you make it slightly taller, and 42' wide at the door, it allows you to some day own a 180/185 with tips and fit inside the hanger.

Or your good buddy mechanic can use it for his in trade for doing your annual:p

Good point higher, wider. I built 42 pole and 14 foot clearance, gravel floor, south exposure without door for SC floats on dolly, Champ and 185 on wheels. Doors are a humbug.

I'm interested in any idea's to build a simple structure to house a Cub. I live on a grass strip in the northeast. .....I want hanger to look like your back in 1940's. Very tasteful, yet simple. something that looks like a Cub belongs in to.

How about a quonset hut style hangar?
I've always liked the looks of them.
Might be that to get the door span you need, it'd have to be pretty high though?
An old truck tire recap shop near me is a double-wide quonset design--
plenty of width without excessive height, looks pretty cool too.

5D2W8504.jpg
A simple New Hampshire hangar.
Check out the door header.

Attachments

• 5D2W8504.jpg
    5D2W8504.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 268
Try these folks from Mass for Trusses. They are great to work with. http://www.reliabletruss.com/

The manual door that slides inside also can hang from the top header. They are not as much money as a Hydroswing and snow is not an issue since it comes inside. From experience my largest mistake was the hydroswing and snow. There is a company in Saratoga Springs New York www.cool-airinc.com that has a rolling door supported above from the header that slides into the hangar.
John

From experience my largest mistake was the hydroswing and snow. There is a company in Saratoga Springs New York www.cool-airinc.com that has a rolling door supported above from the header that slides into the hangar.
John

John,
Can you elaborate on your disappointment with the Hydroswing/Snow issue? I like the HP door, which is not much different from the Hydroswing for operation. (http://www.hpdoors.com)

The cool-airinc bifolding doors look pretty slick, but the manual one that slides inside definitely restricts wall space, if an owner needs it.

Thanks,
Peter

I've used two Hydro Swings for 10 years now, in snow country. They'll open against any amount of snow I get here at over 5,000' in Idaho,, but before you close it, clear the snow away so it doesn't get compressed and turn into ice up against the jambs. You'd think the opening door would move the snow away far enough to have it clear when closing, it does, mostly. But just a minute or less scoop shovel work to ensure you have a clear closing is no big deal, and worth doing. The best thing I like about the design, is my 14' high shop, has a 14' door opening, no loss of height from the door. This may not matter to most, but it lets me still get my crane inside without having to make the entire building higher, as I would have if I had lost 2' height or so from a bi fold type. I really like the big awning aspect, when leaving it open in warmer weather, super solid even in wind too. FWIW: My two Hydro's are west and south facing. The ability to install large windows and/or doors is also great, in my 17' wide shop door I have two 5 x 5 south facing windows, great on a sunny winter day for free heat.

View attachment 28589
A simple New Hampshire hangar.
Check out the door header.
Hi Bill----that`s George Cole owner of 06NH where I`m based----that`s merely a 40ft pine tree going across---I used 5 treated 45ft utility poles for my hangar----withstood 4ft of snow 2yrs ago---20150929_134220.jpg20151001_145333.jpg here`s a "primitive" hangar----5 treated 45ft utility poles with sheet metal roof---withstood 4ft of snow 2yrs ago---trophy was awarded to this CUB for being "TOP DOG" at a working K-9 police show(people`s choice)---everybody loves a CUB----Capt Cub

Attachments

• 20150929_134220.jpg
    20150929_134220.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 181
  • 20151001_145333.jpg
    20151001_145333.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 191
Hi Bill----that`s George Cole owner of 06NH where I`m based----that`s merely a 40ft pine tree going across---I used 5 treated 45ft utility poles for my hangar----withstood 4ft of snow 2yrs ago---View attachment 28592View attachment 28593 here`s a "primitive" hangar----5 treated 45ft utility poles with sheet metal roof---withstood 4ft of snow 2yrs ago---trophy was awarded to this CUB for being "TOP DOG" at a working K-9 police show(people`s choice)---everybody loves a CUB----Capt Cub

You sure that's not an " Ole Dog " trophy :lol:

Back