• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Thinking non-electric for exp pa-18 project

A few years ago I had my experimental pa18-95 inspected for an airworthiness cert. I had a starter, and a battery, no generator/alternator. The inspector refused to sign it off without a charging system. I did have it wired for one in case I changed my mind, wires all neatly insulated and tied up. While he was still there I installed the generator, he signed it off. Tried to convince him it was experimental so I could do without, he strongly disagreed.

You need a new inspector.

Web

You need a new inspector.

Web

Reminds me of a story I was told:

CAA inspector is issuing an airworthiness certificate for an experimental plane but refuses to sign the C of A until a logbook is raised for the experimental wooden propeller.
The LAME present shows the CAA man the rule that says you don't have to have a logbook for a wooden prop.
CAA man still refuses to sign the C of A.
Owner gets fed up with the on-going argument and goes around the corner and buys a propeller logbook and brings it back, fills it out for the experimental wooden propeller.
Now "happy" the CAA man signs the C of A.
Owner throws propeller logbook in the rubbish bin in front of CAA man.
CAA man leaves…….
(nothing he can do because no rule has been broken)

Reminds me of a story I was told:

CAA inspector is issuing an airworthiness certificate for an experimental plane but refuses to sign the C of A until a logbook is raised for the experimental wooden propeller.
The LAME present shows the CAA man the rule that says you don't have to have a logbook for a wooden prop.
CAA man still refuses to sign the C of A.
Owner gets fed up with the on-going argument and goes around the corner and buys a propeller logbook and brings it back, fills it out for the experimental wooden propeller.
Now "happy" the CAA man signs the C of A.
Owner throws propeller logbook in the rubbish bin in front of CAA man.
CAA man leaves…….
(nothing he can do because no rule has been broken)

I like this story. But the difference between the two is that now that a generator has been installed in the other guy's experimental cub it can never comply with the "non-electric" clauses in the FAR.

I am using the new Garmin GTR-200 in a J-3 with 7 ah battery. So far so good - internal intercom is working just fine with door open. It does seem to draw more current than the SL-40 + PM-501 + 296 GPS combined.

I am planning to install a starter, and power it with a portable Odyssey. There will be no generator. My Decathlon goes down on Jan 1, 2020, awaiting the shake -out of this ADS-B stuff. I will miss it, but I will still be flying every single day.

I was thinking of going with the GRT sport ex that draws only .5 amps and only weighs 1 1/2 lbs and the EIS to go with it draws only .20 amps. Having a starter would be nice if you have a good battery to run every thing for the day.

That's exactly what I have on my Rans, simple to install, light, and very low amp draw as you said. And still more information then I'll ever need. It's my only ASI also, the only round instrument I have is my hour meter. If I lose the electrical system, I lose my ASI, big whoop.

I'm following Sky's lead completely...same stuff he has...no more...no less and I think I'll be just fine. I'm too old to prop much anymore so the starter is mandatory.

I use a rechargeable battery on my handheld radio and have an extra set of AA batteries with the adaptor just in case...I like to talk in the pattern, otherwise never use it.9olt battery in the intercom works just fine. If it dies...so what.

@skywagon8a or others running no charging system without a GRT or system monitor, anyone bother to install a good ammeter to show amp draw while flying?

pb

@skywagon8a or others running no charging system without a GRT or system monitor, anyone bother to install a good ammeter to show amp draw while flying?

pb

You'd be better off using a voltmeter for that set up. More useful as most electronics have a thresh hold voltage, below which, they stop working. I.e., watch your battery voltage and know that you lose radios at, say, 9.5 volts.

Web

One other thing to consider if you're installing a battery but no charging system: Be sure to install that battery such that it's easy to remove and re-install. If you ever plan to overnight away from home, you'll need a way to recharge the battery for the next day's fun, and there likely won't be any electrical outlets near where the plane is parked.

My battery is mounted in a box below my right leg, on the floor. It's out of the way, but readily accessible. Remove the lid, unhook the quick connect from the battery, and take the battery in to the airport office, or wherever, with the trickle charger cable....plug in overnight. Next morning, you're ready to go.

i also carry a small solar panel, with a connector and lead such that it can be connected to the battery if I'm away from a current bush overnight.

Two round trips to OSH, and plenty of battery the whole trip. Got to OSH and plugged in the solar panel during the stay, left with full battery.

MTV

pb
This is what is installed in my panel, a Davtron M475VAA. It displays buss voltage, current draw and alternator output amperage. In my case since there is no alternator that function is not used. If and or when I install an alternator it's output will be connected directly to a terminal on this instrument with that function becoming usable. I always know the status of my electrical power.

I'm sure someone else wants one of these, particularly if you just need a battery to run a radio in a basic panel.

Glenn had posted some good eBay finds of multiple unit power panels, offering USB ports, Voltmeter and a 12v power point. I couldn't find any with just the first two units so I was going to buy separate USB and voltmeter and install them individually.

But I ran across this little gem, and it has both voltmeter and dual USB ports in one unit. Side benefit is both of the USB ports are 2.1A instead of one being the lower 1.2A port. So I don't need to remember which plug I need to connect the iPad too. :)

Voltmeter display shines through the plastic face and the cap when closed. No power, no voltmeter shown.

$18 on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KHRY0WY/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IMG_0933.jpgIMG_0934.jpgIMG_0935.jpgIMG_0936.jpgIMG_0937.jpgIMG_0938.jpg

I think our generation doesn't realize it, especially when we look at the industrial revolution of the last few generations, or the "greatest generation". But it's the seemingly small advances in technology and it's integration into our everyday life that really has made it's mark in the world, even if we don't recognize it.

Attachments

• IMG_0933.jpg
    IMG_0933.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0934.jpg
    IMG_0934.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0935.jpg
    IMG_0935.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0936.jpg
    IMG_0936.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0937.jpg
    IMG_0937.jpg
    1,020 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0938.jpg
    IMG_0938.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 116
I got a lot of noise out of my 12v ports.

Tom

Out of your 12v USB ports, or out of a 12v power point (cig lighter)?

I've had occasional noise from a USB port, but it seems be more related to the USB cord that is plugged in. Depending on how you wrap the cord or which cord is used has eliminated the noise for me when it occurred.

Sent from my seriously subsonic flightphone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

I'm sure someone else wants one of these, particularly if you just need a battery to run a radio in a basic panel.

Glenn had posted some good eBay finds of multiple unit power panels, offering USB ports, Voltmeter and a 12v power point. I couldn't find any with just the first two units so I was going to buy separate USB and voltmeter and install them individually.

But I ran across this little gem, and it has both voltmeter and dual USB ports in one unit. Side benefit is both of the USB ports are 2.1A instead of one being the lower 1.2A port. So I don't need to remember which plug I need to connect the iPad too. :)

Voltmeter display shines through the plastic face and the cap when closed. No power, no voltmeter shown.

$18 on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KHRY0WY/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

View attachment 30494View attachment 30495View attachment 30496View attachment 30497View attachment 30498View attachment 30499

I think our generation doesn't realize it, especially when we look at the industrial revolution of the last few generations, or the "greatest generation". But it's the seemingly small advances in technology and it's integration into our everyday life that really has made it's mark in the world, even if we don't recognize it.

that is cool looking! just ordered a couple,

now only $15.99 free prime shipping too

IMG_0189.JPGIMG_0189.JPG
Im going with limited electric son my Expermental PA11....using an 8A B&C alternator because I have one laying around. I bought some of those eBay USB ports and a volt meter.

Attachments

• IMG_0189.JPG
    IMG_0189.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 106
I put one very similar on each side below the panel to keep wires away from the panel itself. They don't have volts but I put one in my truck and I get no noise from it doing the power from the "on" side of the key switch. They are handy and keep the cigar lighter conversion plug out of the plane. I just changed over to I Phone 7 Plus and a mini I pad so my bet is the mini will go into the plane panel with some kind of cellular driven nav app. Plane battery will act as back-up for the mini.

My tablet is hardwired. But I just bought a cheapie cigar lighter - USB adapter at Walmart to keep my wireless internet router charged when I take it along in the airplane.
The good thing about having that, instead of a hardwired USB port as discussed, is that my air mattress inflater (or anything else with a cigar lighter adapter on it) can be used. The cigar lighter normally has a metal wilkie button in it, painted black for low profile.

I haven't done it but I plan to use my phone hot spot to do wireless connects or I suppose Bluetooth could be used too. Works on the Harley and Gold Wing.

Back