Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ski rigging techniques

Post Thanks / Like
    Not really knowing what I was doing when I rigged my Datums, my old carpenter sense told me the same, the angle going back to the gear leg forward bolt was "wrong," not at all optimum. Even after I saw many others get away with using that location. My attach point is on the side of the fixed section of the boot cowl, an AN-5 bolt that goes thru a gusset at a firewall tube cluster, a bushing standoff keeps the cable and bungee ends clear of the boot cowl. I still check that gusset every annual closely for any signs of excess pull on it, and signs of deformation, same with the AN-5 bolt used, (as it is subject to bending loads, though the solid bushing stiffens it) all good so far. It gives me a vertical angle. IF I had known I was going to get into ski flying when I built the plane, I would have used a bit heavier sheet 4130 for that gusset, but as any pull on it is straight down, it seems to be adequately strong as is. I didn't think about the motor mount option until later, and then saw that it would have presented, with my application anyway, other issues. A rubber grommet in the boot cowl makes it all look OK, and when I take the skis and rigging off, Ace Hardware provided a tapered rubber plug that closes out the grommet hole perfectly flush, I thought that was a pretty nice touch!

Post Thanks / Like
    I did a test on my new bungees from Datum, pull testing along with the old ones showed the 10 year old original ones (and I thought it had been 7 or 8 years, until I searched my records) were maybe 5 to 10 % weaker/easier to pull. With what seemed equal pull force, I could get the old one about gut high, the new one about waist high, with the end hooked in a floor grate and me standing on the grate. I was going to get fancy and pull them a measured distance, and use my fish scale to determine the difference, but didn't bother. This reaffirms my faith in the things, and other then the old ones being dirtier, I couldn't tell them apart, no apparent UV degradation, I guess it pays to hangar. Otherwise, the skis themselves seem to be good for the long haul, and I am still happy I bought them.