Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Santa Asks "What Top Items You Like For Camping with the Cub"?

Post Thanks / Like
    I had forgotten just how much I loved my pancho liner (woobie) until my daughter found it in a bunch of my old military stuff. She loves it and I do too. We fight over it now that the weather has gotten colder. I found a company that makes them in non military colors and without the ties. I ordered them for my wife and daughter for Christmas. They are perfect.

If you dont know what I'm talking about then take a look on google for the term "woobie"

They are friggin' awesome.
    Likes streetreamer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    After spending many years in tents I evolved, the pinnacle was finally reached two years ago with a Otter load of 998lbs of gear for four for a week out. That said I don't believe I can camp again with out a luggable loo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Santa.

Please send tanker full of 100LL, thats all I need

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.wiggys.com/clothing-outer...poncho-liners/ Military colors and with ties, Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    I had forgotten just how much I loved my pancho liner (woobie) until my daughter found it in a bunch of my old military stuff. She loves it and I do too. We fight over it now that the weather has gotten colder. I found a company that makes them in non military colors and without the ties. I ordered them for my wife and daughter for Christmas. They are perfect.

If you dont know what I'm talking about then take a look on google for the term "woobie"

They are friggin' awesome.

Post Thanks / Like
    XL cot http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-...sh-cot/product
    This thing is lightweght, packs into a small space, gets you off the ground, keeps you dry and is very comfortable. I use the cot with a self inflating Thermarest pad in the cold. When using my single man tent the cot goes under the entire tent floor. Tent over cot.
    Second the Jetboil.
    Last edited by Bill.Brine; 11-23-2016 at 08:07 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    I had forgotten just how much I loved my pancho liner...
    Haha. Pancho liner is the greatest government issue tool ever. My daughters lay claim to mine on rafting and camping trips -or they use it to warm their wet Lab. I'll open the link and shop for gifts.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	102.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	340.6 KB 
ID:	28514

Name:	IMG_0850.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	267.6 KB 
ID:	28515

Post Thanks / Like
    In answer to the original question I would prefer a cessna 185 with a belly pod.I can carry every thing I desire to be comfortable without being limited by bulk,A cub is great but a 185 is better......(but still love the cub!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I found the tent of my dreams this year after my old one bit the dust. It's a Marmot Odyssey. It's all net under the rain fly, so the ventilation is superb and in the desert without the rain fly, it's unsurpassed for star gazing, if I could only keep my eyes open. Tall enough to stand up in & enough floor area to store all my junk. Four poles give it good wind stability and a big vestibule on one side and smaller vestibule on the other side. Weighs a modest 10 or 12 lbs. Of course, like all products that work really well and are useful, they don't make the Marmot Odyssey anymore. No matter what tent you choose, buy 2 or 3 cans of waterproof spray & saturate the rain fly & tent bottom every year before camping season starts.

Hot or cold, I bring my ExPed 9L downmat, weighs 44 ounces. Bonus, I get to practice my CPR skills. Like the Marmot tent, they don't make this one anymore, but I think there may be something equivalent now.

For summer camping, I have a $20 down throw from Costco (60"x70") that weighs 1.25 lbs. plus my $10 fleece zippered sleeping bag from Walmart that weighs about 2 lbs. I got a $2.50 travel pillow case from Walmart & stuff my down vest into it for a comfy down pillow at night & wear it during the day (the vest, that is). For colder camping, I have a Boundary Waters 0*F down bag that squishes to the size of a basketball (about 4-5 lbs) that isn't made anymore.

Similar to what was mentioned above, the Luci solar lantern is a great camp light. It charges up all day while hanging in the Cub's skylight all day.

Jet Boil for meals. Bill Tracy shared a tip to make home-made dehydrated meals that are as tasty but less salty than Mountain House.

I have a helinox-style comfort-height chair (2lbs) and a couple of little folding aluminum tables. I carry a hatchet but I've never had to use it yet. It's convenient to have a spare 10'x10' tarp & a bunch of parachute cord to put up a shelter on those rainy days. The Tracys & I have parked wingtip to wingtip & used the Cub wings with tarps to make a pretty luxurious seating area.

I've thrown out or quit using a lot of stuff that didn't turn out to be as useful as it seemed. For my two cents, my advice is to bring what you'll use and be comfortable. Leave the rest at home for car camping. I should practice what I preach.

windy

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	bibler.jpeg 
Views:	48 
Size:	12.5 KB 
ID:	28538
    Although it is getting long in the tooth and I have had to reseal it, I really love my Bibler (Black Diamond) Ahwahnee tent. There is no rain fly needed, and both sides open up for straight through ventilation if you need it. Not cheap, but it has served me very well. I had so much confidence in this tent that while camping at the OBP fly in in Ohio (in the rain) Laura said she was getting wet, I simply did not believe it was possible - thus was determined the need to reseal (after ten years or so). It is around 6lbs.

This tent literally sets up in three mnutes.

Apparently they are coming out with a new version. Might be time to upgrade!

sj
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------
    Likes cervelorod liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, boys and girls, Santa is loving these hints for Christmas gifts. Thanks, and keep 'em coming!

...counting down the days till we launch!

Santa

Post Thanks / Like
    SJ-

you might want to check out the Hilight tent by BD if you are upgrading...if you are mainly using for fly-Ins etc I would recommend it--half the weight and cost--it doesn't have the two door option....downsides to this tent is the fabric is more delicate so if camping on dirt/rocks I do bring the ground cloth except when I use it for sheep spike camp. I've used biblers also for years and love their ability/strength and simplicity.....but have come to really appreciate the "lite" version of their tents up here in AK--and really appreciate the reduced amount of bulk of the Hilite vs my ahwahnee.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by schnell49 View Post
    you might want to check out the Hilight tent by BD
    Thanks for the reassuring recommendation. I bought one as a replacement for next year's goat camp, and have only set it up on warm and calm day so far. I've been waiting on the usual November storm to roll thru so I can crawl in the HiLight and discover its comfort during wind and sleet.

Post Thanks / Like
    My only contribution is to fit for a comfortable and durable rain coat, such as the Gage jackets we wear. For us, these style jackets are the best compromise of lightweight and durable, while staying expendable cost-wise. Midway between a heavy PVC coated coat and a wispy, nylon city slicker. I guess its the difference between a jacket for Juneau or Guam. My last Gage job jacket lasted a record-setting two work seasons. My Gage woods jacket, and currently on my xmas list, has lasted four Kodiak trips so far.
    Other brands have similar materials and construction. As Windy mentioned, applying waterproofing to fabrics is worthwhile to us.
    http://shop.grundens.com/shop/jacket.../#.WDkFk-YrLIV

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are camping in cold weather I love Seek Outside's line of tipi tents and collapsible wood stoves, they are lightweight and amazing. For camping with dogs especially, I will never go back to a tent with a floor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Years ago I had Alaska Tent and Tarp make me a simple tipi tent and ice fishing shelter. Four triangular sides of regular canvas about 6' tall when erected, four sewn in tubes to insert collapsible aluminum support poles, a simple flapped tie-together door closure, and a 1' all weather sod and snow flap around the circumference. Folds up flat and the poles take little additional room. Did add external tie rope rings to the pole tube area. Sets up in minutes and can be held on ice with screws meant for that. I used a small propane heater for fishing but a wood stove would work if vented through a patch of their fireproof material sewn in one panel.

GAP

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, boys and girls, Christmas is getting closer and there are still some of you who have not found what you want for camping with your cub from the excellent suggestions listed here. Please give this more thought and let ole Santa know what you just couldn't live without while camping with your cub!

Santa

Post Thanks / Like
    Corkscrew... please reference post #5 for any needed clarification.
    Remember, These are the Good old Days!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WindOnHisNose View Post
    Well, boys and girls, Christmas is getting closer and there are still some of you who have not found what you want for camping with your cub from the excellent suggestions listed here. Please give this more thought and let ole Santa know what you just couldn't live without while camping with your cub!

Santa
    I feel like the moment where a kid realizes that Dad is Santa. Waaaait a second...that voice sounds an awful lot like Dad's. Does this mean....?

Waaait a second...WindOnHisNose just signed his note as Santa...does this mean...?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, Ho, Ho, that old windonhisnose hacked ole Santas account! One lump of coal in his stocking!

Santa

Post Thanks / Like
    Bad sleep, lumpy ground, bad light. No worry, any cot, pad, light, Tim snoring or even a thunderstorm Take 2 Aleve PM and see what the new dawn brings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveE View Post
    Bad sleep, lumpy ground, bad light. No worry, any cot, pad, light, Tim snoring or even a thunderstorm Take 2 Aleve PM and see what the new dawn brings.

Santa best put Eaton down for a folding rocking chair because that sleepy stuff has a half life longer than Texas Chili (and don't ask how I know you don't want to fly the next morning after taking it the night before).
    Last edited by OLDCROWE; 12-01-2016 at 06:08 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not many more days till Christmas! My elves are working overtime, even working on a folding rocking chair for that ornery Steve Eaton! Ho, Ho, Ho!

Santa could still use some ideas for gifts for camping with a super cub! Many great suggestions have been made here, Thank You!

Santa

Post Thanks / Like
    Folding rocking chair: https://www.rei.com/product/898893/e...ampfire-rocker

While not a true rocking chair this one is super light and I like it:https://www.rei.com/product/846402/a...utterfly-chair

Post Thanks / Like
    Ear plugs for a windy night or snoring neighbor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill.Brine View Post
    Ear plugs for a windy night or snoring neighbor.

Or................ don't pitch your tent next to Lou's

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

Post Thanks / Like
    A superlight wood stove http://littlbug.com/

and breath right strips, to help your spouse/significant other or fellow campers sleep better.

Wayne

Post Thanks / Like
    Vacuum sealer for making meals at home to freeze and heat up in a jet boil on short trips. I've done steaks, burgers, grilled chicken, roasted red potatoes with green onions and lots of left overs. Great to send back to school back to school with kids on their way to being big people, especially for finals week.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABEL...er%26CQ_st%3Db
    Last edited by OLDCROWE; 12-11-2016 at 09:00 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flybynite View Post
    and breath right strips, to help your spouse/significant other or fellow campers sleep better.

Wayne
    I have it on good authority (ahem) that those breathe-right strips work really well - especially if used on the LIPS instead of across the nose!
    Jim Parker
    '65 Champion 7ECA - Flying
    ?? Bearhawk Patrol - Building

Post Thanks / Like
    A Steripen water purifier makes a useful gift for backcountry camping.

https://www.steripen.com/

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    A home freeze dryer to make you own meals that you and family like to eat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flybynite View Post
    A superlight wood stove http://littlbug.com/

Wayne
    Great suggestion Wayne.

My Littlebug stove works great. In the summer when its dry, I don't have to worry about starting a forest fire, and the fuel is just brush you can pick up and burn without chopping or cutting. In the winter it works great, even on the snow. It is always in my airplane.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by paibre View Post
    A home freeze dryer to make you own meals that you and family like to eat.
    Pricey!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefoy84 View Post
    Pricey!
    Throw the food in the dryer with your boxers

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 55-PA18A View Post
    A Steripen water purifier makes a useful gift for backcountry camping.

https://www.steripen.com/

Jim
    And when traveling in third world countries!

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Steve, my Big Agnes sleeping bag! The air mattress fits in a sleeve on the bottom of the bag and never roll off of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OLDCROWE View Post
    Lexan wine glasses.
    Great idea..! But in case you forget them...... Have a spouse along that thinks of everything..!

last summer we stopped at Talkeetna's village strip, to spend the night and visit our friend Greg.

Greg was out flying for a couple hours yet, so while waiting we had a little picnic in the shade on the grass strip. With NO wine glasses... what to do...? I said to my wife that I'd just cut the top off this water bottle and we could pour the wine in and share it.

Then SHE says... "Why don't you cut the water bottle in half, put the cap back on, and we can now have TWO glasses..!

Brilliant..! Don't think I would have ever thought of that...!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1764.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	29210  
    "...We're fast enough to get there, But slow enough to see..."
    Fron the song "Barometer Soup". By Jimmy Buffett

Post Thanks / Like
    If the wine already came in a bottle.....what are the glasses for?

Post Thanks / Like
    And how far did you fly after that bottle of wine .

Post Thanks / Like
    Tent: Arctic Oven by Alaska Tent and Tarp. Overkill in summer, unless it blows. Been in -30 hunting with it, and been through 50Kts+ blows. On a 40 degree day a lantern will warm it to shorts temp. in about 10 minutes.

Yes, heavy, but you can cook and feed five inside in a storm.

Sleeping Bag: I use a wiggy's bag. Use the outside shell in summer, Ultama Tule spring and fall, and put them together for winter. Being warm when wet is important.

Parachute chord... carry lots of bright colors

Canister gas stove: put the gas canister in an inside pocket (day) or your sleeping (night) bag to keep warm when really cold. But much easier to use and not spill gas all over everything when using and filling.

Good frying pan, water pot and food!

I Have a Big Agnes sleeping pad, but go try some before you buy. Backpack stuff is less comfortable and smaller than car camp stuff.

Good head light

Good couple of books

And the most important item on the fun camp list: Great people to enjoy the time with!
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    Santa, I would like another headlamp. I find all sorts of uses for them around my home, at the hangar, camping and yes, even at my office! I went to the local REI store to replace the headlamp that I use for doing examinations and procedures on patients. Sure, I could pay a $1K for a fiberoptic light, but the headlamp puts the light right where I want it to go! I was looking at the headlamps, as were a couple of unsuspecting customers. The sales rep came over and asked if she could help me, and I declined, but she was insistent. She asked what I was planning to use if for. The answer coming from this gynecologist left her blushing and the two other customers beat feet Of course, I pointed out that they needed to add another use for their headlamps, "gynecologic spelunking"...

When I enter the procedure room to transfer embryos into the uterine cavity I am wearing the headlamp and most times the husband or the wife will say "Hey, I have one of those!" Lots of junior gynecologists around, it seems...

Name:	headlamp.JPG 
Views:	480 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	29220
    Seriously, I need about as many headlamps as I do reading glasses...they are extremely useful.

Randy