Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Yellow Cubs in California

Post Thanks / Like

Yellow Cubs in California

I'm preparing to cover/paint my Super Cub & trying to find cub with Randolph Cub J-3 Yellow #F-6285 nearby to look at to make sure it's the color I want. I'm located in Central California but will fly to Northern or Southern California if needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    fyi, the colour or tint of yellow will depend also on if they used a white base coat or not and how many coats of top coat were sprayed so you may not necessarily end up with the same results.

Post Thanks / Like
    And Randolph was purchased by Stitts, and all yellows were changed. The F color used to be what Piper put on the 1946 bird, but now it is darker - almost like the M- color they called Lock Haven yellow. No Randolph or Stitts yellow will match any of the pre-1995 colors.

We have one J-3 in the early Stitts Cub Yellow, which is an excellent match for Piper Sport yellow. The fqctory is unable to match it for repairs. My personal J-3 is in Ford Commercial truck yellow, and I am having a difficult time matching that.

We had a couple of boo-boos on the Stearman, which is in Stitts AN Yellow. Same deal - I finally started mixing my own, and am really close, but not perfect.

Post Thanks / Like
    But to answer your question, we are in San Diego - Montgomery Field - and you are welcome to visit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Norm drouthit was with stits for many years now has his own shop has forgotten more about cub colors than I'll ever know, he is in so Cal somewhere and is worth a call, Clyde Smith is worth a dime Drop too.

Post Thanks / Like
    True - Norm went to bat for me when I was trying to match old colors. Finally he sent me some tint base and wished me luck. He is a very nice guy, and hen I order a quart of something it is here the next day.

Post Thanks / Like
    I ordered a qt. of Randolph Forest Green Dope from Wicks for older finish on the Tu-holer and it was closer to %$%$&@ blue. Guys on J3 forum(I think?) sent me to Norm and he sent a can that was a perfect match. 5-6 years ago. I suspect someone at Wicks screwed-up? It shouldn't be that hard? FWIW

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MT12 View Post
    Norm drouthit was with stits for many years now has his own shop has forgotten more about cub colors than I'll ever know, he is in so Cal somewhere and is worth a call, Clyde Smith is worth a dime Drop too.
    Is he still alive? I used to but Poly Fiber products from him.

Post Thanks / Like
    Alive and well and still in San Bernardino, Google him for numbers, norm douthit

Post Thanks / Like
    I've spent some quality time discussing paint tint with consolidated. I was informed they will match any color for the low low price of $300. After that the formula can be duplicated at the standard rate per gallon.

Post Thanks / Like
    We really shouldn't have to pay $300 to match a standard pre-1990 color.

By the way, Stewarts has a nice yellow that is lots closer to 1946 Sport yellow than anything Stitts or Randolph now has. Maybe Consolidated has a Cub yellow that is actually accurate?

Post Thanks / Like
    Um - Consolidated does not appear to make paint for fabric aircraft?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a darker yellow on my Smith Cub. Very easy to match. Home Depot sells it in a rattle can. Calls it "school bus yellow"!

Lou

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob are you trying to confuse me, and others? They own all of the "traditional" fabric coating systems. So what do you mean? All of the suppliers that sell the original 3 systems (Spruce, etc) source directly from CAC. We do our own tints at our shop with their system(s) we contact them directly with tech issues and tint formulas. As far as them not making the paint etc I never asked so sure that could be outsourced If that is what you meant idk? I do know that they changed the Randolph tint formulas it the 90's as previously stated, we had a PIA snafu with paint purchased to match an old formula(read$$$) so it doesn't surprise me a bit to learn other colors have been molested. Luckily they had the previous formula and produced it for us, it seriously pissed us off as one was cream and the other was bright white, talk about crap business technique. So what am I getting at? While I love their urethane paints and systems, they are not up to speed with common sense. So I'll, restate, you can get a match or even a custom color, but they do not have a digital system to do it (so I was told) it is done by a part time gent that has been around forever, (it's probably the guy you mentioned previously) and he does it by eye, drop by drop gram by gram. What I find irritating is over the years they have to have an awesome selection of color formulas but only offer a small cross section to us. I'm sure it's because we're a limited market and they only sell to retailers, so they have us by the short curlies. OP.. Call them on your cub yellow they may have the formulas for the vintage color, they're a nice bunch and will gladly assist you, call them not Spruce. Good luck in any case yellow sucks, beautiful but it's not easy to get right. I'm sure Bob would agree.
    Last edited by rsrguy3; 11-12-2016 at 01:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    All I did was go to Consolidated's web site. If they offer aircraft dope in the older colors I would certainly be a customer.

Yellow is not the only problem - you should see what they did to Juneau White! It is almost yellow now, and originally it was insignia white with a little black. And my Dec has Colorado Red in some places; the new version of that is actually transparent. Glad I still have some older Randolph dope in the Dec. colors.

If anybody has a can of very old Cub Yellow Poly Tone, I cuuld spring for real money for it. I ran out about five years ago, and have not been able to match it since.

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL, your killing me that's the exact color we got screwed by too! Juneau white sure my backside was whiter. At any rate they mixed us up randthane in the old Juneau white for us but only after we spent a bunch on the beige version.

Post Thanks / Like
    So are you saying you work for Randolph, and know something about what happened? And if they had wanted to, they could have easily matched the old colors?

it would be nice to know why they changed everything.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is no Randolph, only consolidated, Randolph is only a legacy name, (albeit with slightly different tint base formulas) at this point. I don't work for them. We had a bird in that was the old Juneau white. We ordered more to paint the wings. We painted the wings.....wrong color, the new order was the stupid cream color. That's when they (the CAC folks informed us as to the formula change) they had the old Juneau white and mixed it up in ranthane. Great paint almost identical to aerothane. I just make a point of talking to CAC when I need the straight scoop. If you can find the formula for the vintage cub yellow we can probably mix the polytone in our shop if AS&S or CAC won't. Scout aero services is where I work so let us know if you hit a wall. The shop has all the correct toners to make it happen.