Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: N9460D 'A' model Super Cub

Post Thanks / Like
    Cub is looking good Martt! By the way, nice job on TRM, just finished listening to your episode.
    Thanks AirPigz thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hann View Post
    Cub is looking good Martt! By the way, nice job on TRM, just finished listening to your episode.
    Thanx! I haven't been on or done a podcast for several years so that was a lot of fun. Anyone that likes The Rocketeer movie should check out The Rocketeer Minute podcast, they go over a minute of the movie at a time, and I was a guest host on episode 103 that was posted a couple days ago : http://www.rocketeerminute.com/episo...03-the-closest

I did several podcast interviews on my own site (http://www.airpigz.com) back in the day but the podcasts aren't hosted any longer, but the website is. Lots of avgeekery there, even if there's isn't much SC stuff.

Martt
    Thanks Jim Hann thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Once again I've been posting most of my updates on my personal facebook page, but figured I better post here again as I've been very thankful for the input that's come from the members here.

For a variety of reasons I'm running behind on the restoration on N9460D but I'm finally getting pretty close to completion. The inclusion of 8 STC mods that weren't in the original plan, plus doing the bulk of the work in an alternative (small) workspace have added quite a bit of time... plus, it's an airplane project, when do those EVER go to plan??

Anyway, the engine is back on, and I painted the upper boot cowl late Saturday night and got to see what it looks like on the airplane yesterday. I think it's looking pretty nice.

The cowling has been a lot of work with paint stripping, replacing some parts, patching some holes, and trying to make the aluminum nose bowl look good. It had a significant collection of dents and dings. I hammered out about the 85% of the ugly and then used filler to dress up another 15%. I figure 95% is good enough at this point. The test fitting yesterday of it and the rest of the cowling went extremely well. I had to make several repairs to the cowling mounting arms, and with a new firewall and boot cowl, I wasn't sure how everything would come back together. Fortunately it's all fitting really well right from the start.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	November-6.1.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	135.6 KB 
ID:	33522

Name:	November-6.2.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	147.5 KB 
ID:	33527

Now that the lower cowl has been fitting once again, I can now get the muffler pin holes drilled and get it mounted permanently. I had the muffler overhauled and those holes aren't in place yet.

The instrument panel is complete and I'm really happy that it's perfectly living up to my vision for it. Simple, retro, and really crisp were the goals there. And the RAM mount for an iPad mini seems to be working exactly as I had hoped. Headset jacks will be up in the left wing root, and after a lot of thought I'm putting the ptt buttons on the stick just below where your hand sits. Even tho my first thought was to mount the ptt slightly left of the stick center (where your little finger is when you hand is wrapped around the stick, I eventually decided that to the right of center makes more sense. A light grip on the stick (with maybe just 3 fingers) actually puts your little finger to the right of the stick center. I'm hoping this pans out well in practice. Time will tell.

Name:	November-6.3.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	155.9 KB 
ID:	33523

Name:	November-6.4.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	147.7 KB 
ID:	33524

The intercom at the far left of the panel is a Sigtronics spa-400 with their 2-1/4" round face. I removed their graphics and added the really simple retro look ones that I made. I used an image of the old 'THROTTLE' marking from the side panel to build up a custom font. The letters I built up where then converted for free on a website I found into an actual font. After building up the graphics for all the markings I had a local sign shop print them on a clear matte vinyl and then cut them out. The original plan was to have vinyl letters cut directly, but the small letters were not working with their equipment. By printing them and then cutting oversize (there's some of the clear vinyl beyond the letter edges) it all worked pretty well. I didn't expect that vinyl would stick well enough in the long run, so the plan was to clearcoat over to seal them in place. I found a rattle can matte clear coat that's actually a 2 part catalyzed polyurethane (once the plunger is pushed and the 2 parts mixed, it has a 48 hour pot life) and it worked really well. It's $25 a can, but seemed cheaper than trying to find an automotive matte clearcoat.

Name:	November-6.5.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	124.7 KB 
ID:	33525

I'm also planning to incorporate a bluetooth unit that should easily allow Foreflight audio (and more importantly, music) to be fed from the iPad into the headsets without interrupting radio or intercom usage.

I made an aluminum tray to mount the handheld in. The mount has nut plates behind the throttle tunnel so it can easily be removed so the radio can just be gone if desired. I also altered the AA battery case that the Sporty's SP-400 has with a 10-32 nutplate inside (that case can't be used with AA batteries now) and have a thumb screw that comes up from underneath the radio to hold it in the tray. The thumbscrew is captured on a line so you can't lose it when you are removing or installing it. Where the radio is mounted makes it easy to see and adjust, keeps it just clear of flap handle operation, and allows the external antenna coax and other connecting wires to quickly disappear under the panel to keep the installation looking pretty clean. It and the iPad will get power from 2 individually fused 12v power ports mounted just back under the panel out of view.

Name:	November-6.6.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	33526

Just a couple thousand things left to do and this ole girl will be flying again : )

Martt Clupper
    Open Door Flying
    Warsaw, Indiana
    N9460D
    1959 PA-18A flat top

I'm setting up shop to continue aircraft work going forward... here's the Open Door Flying facebook page.
    Last edited by AirPigz; 11-07-2017 at 08:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice job

Post Thanks / Like
    Martt, really like the simple panel. Where did you find the slip indicator? Is that custom printing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearhawk Builder View Post
    Martt, really like the simple panel. Where did you find the slip indicator? Is that custom printing?
    Thanx... it's the vacuum turn coordinator that was in the airplane but I removed the dual venturies and had no plan to include any vacuum instruments in the restoration, so I perked up when Keystone Instruments mentioned they have modified some of them to just simply be a nice slip indicator. With the needle removed and the hash marks gone it makes a perfect place for some custom graphics. So I built up that copy of the old Piper logo and added Super Cub then too so they could silk screen those graphics on the face.

I'm a big fan of disciplined coordinated flight, so having a nice big (and very attractive) ball front and center should encourage my brother (who the airplane is for) to pay attention to his feet : )

Post Thanks / Like
    FYI, Reiker makes a couple different sizes of slip/skid instruments. Their relatively small height allows you to mount them high on the panel where they’ll do the most good and not interfere with other instruments.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been bad about updating the project here, with most of the updates going on facebook, but figured it was time.

Income for my full-time work on the project came to an end in early November 2017, so my work slowed to a drip at that point. Plus, we had essentially a 6 month winter in northern Indiana this year, so it was harder to deal with the cold than in normal years. However, I've been working on it when I can and I'm hopefully just a few weeks away from first flight at this point. Still have access covers and wing root fairing to finish up, and a boatload of paperwork.

I've been taxiing some in the last week and everything is going extremely well, once I got a leaky left brake solved. The engine only has 100 hours since major, but it didn't run much in the last 10 years. So far so good tho. Starts great and runs great.

I obsessed quite a bit about the changes I made to the original Piper paint scheme, and so far I'm very happy with the way it's looking. Every change I came up with is looking exactly like I had hoped. And the Stewart's Santa Fe Red and Daytona White are just awesome. Plus, I couldn't be any happier with what adding the flattener did to the sheen... I'm unusual in that I just don't like glossy airplanes, and the satin finish here is a huge winner for me.

I just painted the red on the rudder and cowl doors a couple days ago, these pix are from right after they were mounted. The general shape of the white on the cowl door, and the size and shape of the radius at the leading edge came out just perfect in my opinion. I'll probably add 'Super Cub' on the cowl door, but for now I'm leaving some details like that undone so I can get completed more quickly. I'm also very happy with the decision to retain the flat top and hopper door... they add a very cool element to the airplane, and the hopper door literally looks like brand new now that it's been stripped and painted.

My brother in California who owns the airplane is gonna let me keep it in Indiana until OSH so I can fly it up there. Then we'll meet there and head west to get it back home for him. I'm sure looking forward to flying this ole girl instead of working on her!

Name:	N9460D April 2018.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	36714

Name:	N9460D April 2018 2.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	36715

Name:	N9460D April 2018 3.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	36716

Martt Clupper
    Open Door Flying LLC
    Warsaw, Indiana
    N9460D
    1959 PA-18A flat top

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome Martt. Im a bit jealous of the paint scheme. It will be great to have another flat top here in California!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rice farmer View Post
    Awesome Martt. Im a bit jealous of the paint scheme. It will be great to have another flat top here in California!
    I hope you don't mind that I'm glad to hear you're a little jealous of the paint : )

When we get it out there around the first of August, we'll have to try to meet up if possible. It'll be over at Lakeport, in Lake County. Where exactly are you at?
    Last edited by AirPigz; 04-28-2018 at 06:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    We are between Sacramento and Yuba City. CA 07. I probably won’t make OSH this year so see you in August.
    Likes AirPigz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    So nice... really love the A models... I really liked the Flannagan STC for the windows but think it is really cool that you redid the hopper door and kept it "Ag"... Would love to get my hands on an "A" model project!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by daedgerton View Post
    So nice... really love the A models... I really liked the Flannagan STC for the windows but think it is really cool that you redid the hopper door and kept it "Ag"... Would love to get my hands on an "A" model project!
    Thank you for your comment... I felt right from the start that keeping the hopper door was a good idea, but now that it's nearly done, I think it's just an awesome element. It's what'll make this airplane stand out, and will make it a real conversation piece everywhere it goes : )

Post Thanks / Like
    The good ole flat top N9460D has finally flown once again! Sunday evening I made 3 takeoffs and landings, which is actually the first time I've ever flown a Super Cub, and everything went absolutely great.

Name:	Left-Front.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	123.2 KB 
ID:	37739

I had hoped to get her finished 10 days ago and then make the trip to Sentimental Journey, but 2 days before first flight the left mag stop working. Turns put that the impulse coupling had a variety of issues, but I got that repaired and got her off the ground last evening.

Name:	Right-Front.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	126.7 KB 
ID:	37740

I now have a few small improvement tasks to get done between now and OSH, then I'll be flying her up there for the week, and then my half brother (the owner) will meet me there and we'll fly on out to California where he lives. Should be quite the adventure!

Name:	Behind.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	37741

The project took a lot longer and costs more than expected, so I guess you could say it was right on track. I figure I had the equivalent of 13 months of full time work in it. The original plan was for 6 months, but I underestimated the amount of work (especially since I had never worked on a Super Cub before) and then we added 8 STC mods after the project started which added a lot of time. There was also several unseen damage issues that added more time. All in all, I'm pleased with the time it took to get it done. Total project duration was around 20 months because income for my work on it ended in October 2017 and I had to go back to my regular job for income.

Name:	Left-Rear.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	37742

I couldn't happier that the we kept the hopper door and flat top for this airplane. It makes it really unique and should make for lots of interesting conversion.

Name:	Turning-Base.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	107.8 KB 
ID:	37743

I'm hopeful I get to do another Super Cub restoration, especially a vintage feel one like this, tho would be nice to mix the vintage with bush, with some nice big tires : )

Name:	Martt.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	37744

Look for the ole flat top at OSH18!

Martt Clupper
    Open Door Flying LLC
    Warsaw, Indiana
    N9460D
    1959 PA-18A flat top

Post Thanks / Like
    Gorgeous! Hope to see it in person at KOSH!

Let me check my GPS, gee how'd we ever navigate with those sectional things?
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice, and like the originality.
    Likes cubscout liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm very thankful that my work earned a Lindy award at OSH18 for the best Vintage (Contemorary Class 1955-1970) single engine, 160hp or less.

Name:	N9460D-OSH-Lindy-Winner-Web.jpg 
Size:	161.1 KB 
ID:	38386

Since my half-brother owns the airplane, he actually gets the trophy, but that's ok, I know I did all the work : )

After doing a photo shoot with the EAA Cesnna 210 early Sunday morning I turned the ole girl southwest and started the journey to California. My brother isn't a licensed pilot yet (he soloed a Citabria 40 years ago) but he was along for the ride, so I was PIC, but he got about 5 hours of 'autopilot' duty in along the way.

I'll do an updated post soon with details of the route etc.

Name:	N9460D-1959-PA-18A-7.3.18-C92-Door-Open.jpg 
Size:	247.3 KB 
ID:	38388

But the ole flat top is now in California where she'll be living.

I'm looking forward to another Super Cub project, and have one potential project that might come thru here soon. I'm definitely a fan of the PA-18 : )

Martt Clupper
    Open Door Flying LLC
    574-551-9692
    Warsaw, Indiana
    N9460D
    1959 PA-18A flat top

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations Martt! Looking forward to seeing 60D out here on the left coast.
    Likes AirPigz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Nicely done Martt, beautiful!��

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rice farmer View Post
    Congratulations Martt! Looking forward to seeing 60D out here on the left coast.
    Thank you : )

We were headed for Lake County but the fires pushed us down to Petaluma where my brother had his business. But it'll eventually be at Lampson at some point.

Martt

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearhawk Builder View Post
    Nicely done Martt, beautiful!��
    Thank you very much!

Martt

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by S2D View Post
    I had one a for a while. 52 model I bought from a tobacco sprayer in KY. totally complete as an A model Sprayer. I did one mosquito spray job with it and realized I never wanted to spray in one so I sold it and we stripped everything out. would have been a great candidate for an original restoration.

Any chance you have any of those parts you stripped out. i have a 18A and thinking about putting back to original

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah. Pretty sure I do

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
    I may be wrong but that probably won't stop me from arguing about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by S2D View Post
    Yeah. Pretty sure I do

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
    Sorry I took so long to reply, I am new to the site and still trying to figure it out. Maybe you can email me at jameswyso@aol.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mvivion View Post
    FYI, Reiker makes a couple different sizes of slip/skid instruments. Their relatively small height allows you to mount them high on the panel where they’ll do the most good and not interfere with other instruments.

MTV
    Almost a year and a half old post, but it made me look at Reiker.

On side note, SJ should write in a little script to the forum application to incorporate a "break-out-Thread" button in each post header, that would reply to a post in a completely new thread and topic.

I'd love to put one of each of these on a panel, and go fly and test/view the reactions on each. Only two are designated as "Aircraft", but is there really a difference?

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-03-08 at 9.46.07 AM.png 
Views:	31 
Size:	161.4 KB 
ID:	41847

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-03-08 at 9.46.27 AM.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	41848

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-03-08 at 9.50.13 AM.png