• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

TrickAir vs Summit skis on CCEX

Raised by wolves: I get the Summits are bolt on. But my question is, for those using TrickAir's with a cub (I'm certified), what is best? Their 2250 model or the 3000 model.

Bearhawk: I wish I was experimental as the Summits look like a great option (one of the best options as far as wheel penetration options go). Have you heard of successful FA attempts?

I've had three sets of TrickAir's 2250's on my Citabria 7GCBC, 3000's on my C185, 2250's currently on my 150 hp Super Cub with 1800lb gross wt.

I am a TrickAir fan. I've raced another identical plane to mine but they had hydraulic skies and in 2' deep clean snow we race tree times and my TrickAirs were a dead tie on distance to lift off. He has accidentally landed on pavement twice with his hydraulics (costly & lots of sparks) and thats not even a concern with the trickair tires thru the skis.
My experience tells me the 2250's are as big as you need to go. I have a climb prop, so my cub goes 85kts without skis and with skis 83kts.....
Its just my opinion but in Michigan the 2250's are perfect size and I wouldn't want to add the weight and drag of larger skis.
Once the SC was set up for TrickAirs it now only takes 30 minutes to put them on or take them off, also no need to jack up the plane.
f0270400-dc5d-4443-965b-9782a7fe8831

Dan,

Fly over to Newmans Field with that Super Cub some time, I would like to see your set up. Looks nice!

Kurt
Next door to Alan

I have Trickair 1500s on my J3....they are fine, but I see the benefit of the Summit Skis in 2 ways....1 being weight, and 2 being the designed shape of the ski aft of the wheel penetration....the Trickair have a very squared off portion behind the wheel that catches the snow....Summit has kept essentially straight to the back making it (In my opinion) less draggy on the snow. Both are fine products though...just my observation.

The guy who landed on a 8,000' ridge last winter, without skis, ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycv2GDm2DOo&t=561s) called me the other day, looks like he is going with Summit's this year for his experimental. Better late then never! Seeing how they perform will be of some interest to me, though I'd be loath to give up the ground clearance I have with the Datum wheel skis. The simplicity and lighter weight of them is tempting, though I doubt I'll switch over.

“I am a TrickAir fan. I've raced another identical plane to mine but they had hydraulic skies. He has accidentally landed on pavement twice with his hydraulics (costly & lots of sparks) and thats not even a concern with the trickair tires thru the skis.”

Seriously? Can’t remember to put the skis in the proper position for the landing surface? Sounds like a candidate for a set of amphibious floats. :roll:

MTV

I built a set of retractable wheel skis,and that was my fear landing of pavement with the wheels up. I put mirrors on the struts, just to keep an eye on things

Sent from my Pixel 2 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Would there be any advantage to a smooth tire like the Aero Classic 850x6 4 ply tire being used versus all the photos I see with some variant of treaded tire? Or do penetration skis like a more firm, treaded tire which is flat/firm across the portion of tire that would be in contact with the ground versus a more rounded softer tundra type tire. The bungees seem pretty minimal compared to the looped bungees used on Airglas 2500 straight skis.

Lastly, in a search for better photos of the trickair, was able to find these: http://trickairskisforsale.azurewebsites.net/. If you can't goto the store and look at things yourself, the next best thing is a batch of photos close up form every angle. Interesting to see how you could attach extended bases (possibly add a base that more closely fits around the wheel, the depth of wheel penetration, etc.

Jeff

Would there be any advantage to a smooth tire like the Aero Classic 850x6 4 ply tire being used versus all the photos I see with some variant of treaded tire? Or do penetration skis like a more firm, treaded tire which is flat/firm across the portion of tire that would be in contact with the ground versus a more rounded softer tundra type tire. The bungees seem pretty minimal compared to the looped bungees used on Airglas 2500 straight skis.

Lastly, in a search for better photos of the trickair, was able to find these: http://trickairskisforsale.azurewebsites.net/. If you can't goto the store and look at things yourself, the next best thing is a batch of photos close up form every angle. Interesting to see how you could attach extended bases (possibly add a base that more closely fits around the wheel, the depth of wheel penetration, etc.

Jeff
Will be my first winter with the Summits after many seasons with straight skis,Flilite Hyds. etcc.. Bought a set of the Desser 8:50 smoothies and will let you know how they work. I have this thing is my head about trying to see what happens (in certain snow conditions) if I lock up the brakes on takeoff. Less drag-more drag? Will let you know.

There is ,ahem, a set of Trickair 2250s just showed up in the classified ads. Just saying SJ:roll:

Jim

Jeff

I have the 8.50 smooth dessers on my cub with summit skis. Works great. I was pleased with the performance of the skis. They say if you get really bogged down you can pull the tires off and it helps. I haven’t had the need to yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back