• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Pilatus Porter Down

Carey Gray

Thun Field, Washington
My good friend's ELT went off at 6:30-7:00 last night between Anchorage and Lake Clark.
It's a Pilatus Porter, white with red and blue trim.
Anyone flying the route today, please keep an eye out.
It was supposed to be at about the 4000' level. The 406 signal is said to be weak.
Fly Safe
Carey

We had an incredible flight with David just after the airmen's show in that plane. Sure hope he is OK!

david.jpg

Attachments

• david.jpg
    david.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 580
David is creative, resourceful and just about the toughest guy I've ever met.
If anyone can figure it out and survive, my money is on David.
I hope it ends up being just another great story.
He really enjoyed the flight with you after the airmen's show.

My third hand information is that they have his position plotted. Bad weather, can't get there. Waiting for a break.

Have not seen any news reports. Weather up there has been terrible, holding back any SAR. Dave has been through tough situations before. Hope for the best.

Have not seen any news reports. Weather up there has been terrible, holding back any SAR. Dave has been through tough situations before. Hope for the best.
So far a really sad day. Hope they find him ok. David is a great guy and a very good pilot with a ton of experience in all types of planes. Let's hope they find our friend.

They said he left Friday evening headed to Port Alsworth. The normal route would be through Lake Clarke pass but his ELT shows way off in the Telequena Lake area at the 5,000' level. Getting dark, bad weather, icing. Not a good combination. Hope it ends well.

Greg

I saw that Porter tied down at Thun Field about a year & a half ago, didn't realize it belonged to a friend of yours Carey.
I hope this story has a good ending, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

From the Park Service

[h=5]Megan Richotte[/h]1 hr

Dear Neighbors,
We continue to have an active search in the northern portion of the park. There are currently National Guard aircraft on-scene. The search area has been refined. As the weather is improving the following is a message that the Air National Guard asked me to share.
--------
The Alaska Rescue Coordination Center requests that private aircraft stay clear of the active search area in Lake Clark National Park. Efforts on behalf of civilians could impede the current military
search effort and add additional risk to the operation. Very qualified and experienced military search and rescue teams are working diligently to find the pilot and aircraft. There is not an exact known location of the aircraft, however it is expected to be within an approximate one-mile area of known coordinates. Weather continues to hamper the search and additional aircraft in the search area may impede the operation. We understand and appreciate that the aviation community is very concerned and wants to help with the search. Please be assured that we have the very best search professionals out there doing everything they can to find the pilot and aircraft.

Thank-you for posting that Gary. It's excruciatingly painful waiting when one of our own is out there somewhere. We are Praying.

If the ELT pinged for a couple of hours they'd have a pretty good location on it. The Air Guard is usually pretty tight lipped on SAR details while the SAR operation is active. We don't know all of what they know. Probably never will.

It sounds like they have the best of the best on it and they're all in.
I appreciate that and I'm not about to get in their way. As good as we all like to think we are, they're much better.
It's OK with me if I never know all of what they know. I'll ask David what happened after he gets a bite to eat.
I'm headed for Anchorage in the morning.

Back