Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Earth X batteries, ok or not?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartb View Post
    FWIW, Earth X recommends sizing the battery based on the charging system output, not the storage capacity. When I asked a couple of years ago the known failures of Earth X batteries were caused by improper charging.
    True. From the research I have done the Earth X ETX680 and my B&C 40 amp alternator are compatible.

ETX680C $379 13.2 volts 12.4Ah 680/320 PCA/CCA 3.9 lb (1.8Kg) weight C case size 400ci engine size or less; 60 amp alternator or less
    ETX680 $379 13.2 12.4 680/320 4.1 lb (1.86Kg) E 400ci engine size or less; 60 amp alternator or less
    ETX900 $449 13.2 16 840/400 4.9 lb (2.2Kg) E 540ci engine size or less; 80 amp alternator or less
    ETX900-VNT $549 13.2 16 840/400 5.4 lb (2.4Kg) E 540ci engine size or less; 80 amp alternator or less;includes built in thermal runaway containment andventing for in cabin installation
    ETX1200 $725 13.2 24.8 1200/600 6.9 lb (3.1Kg) E 550ci engine size or larger; 120 amp alternator or less
    https://earthxbatteries.com/wp-conte...8.Brochure.pdf
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FdxLou View Post
    All
    I was the one who had the EarthX ETX900 die on him at JC in June.
    The battery would not take a charge and registered 3.46V on a tester. It had been acting up slowly over the past few weeks. Started cranking slower than normal. I was able to start it with my EarthX Jump Pack but it would not keep the battery contactor relay closed once removed. I was unwilling to make my “plan B” a “plan A” and rely on the Jump Pack to fly around the Backcountry for a week!
    I had to buy a Gill 35 (worst battery ever) from McCall Flying Service at $170 over Spruce’s online retail ( not happy) but it was that or nothing. That alone added 23 lbs back on the plane!
    I called Kathy Nicoson at EarthX and explained the situation. She confirmed I had done all I could to trouble shoot it and when I returned home there was a new ETX900 waiting for me. It was 6 months out of warranty but she honored it.
    The most troubling thing about the failure was the fact that the BPM under voltage circuit ( a feature of all EarthX aircraft batteries) and light did not come on.
    This is my second EarthX battery aircraft. I ran one in my SC for 6 years without a problem.

EarthX stands behind their products, knowing that these type of failures do happen on rare occasion. Just the fact that their main battery line is made in the USA as opposed to China is comforting.
    Oh, and in the spirit of full disclosure, I am an EarthX dealer and have faith in all their products, or I wouldn’t sell them.

Lou
    Lou, did they tell you what failed and why?

sj
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    As would be the ETX900. I have the B & C 40 and it works fine for last three years. On 0360 engine. cranks like crazy, cold weather or hot.
    John

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The ONLY time alternator output has ANYTHING to do with a battery capacity or charging limits, is when you ran a battery down/dead. Other than that the alternator is just keeping up with the buss demands and a small amount to recover from starter use. Alternators are not really meant to be battery (re)chargers after you kill battery. Or so I’ve been told(even comes on sheet of paper with your new car alternators)....

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mike mcs repair View Post
    The ONLY time alternator output has ANYTHING to do with a battery capacity or charging limits, is when you ran a battery down/dead. Other than that the alternator is just keeping up with the buss demands and a small amount to recover from starter use. Alternators are not really meant to be battery (re)chargers after you kill battery. Or so I’ve been told(even comes on sheet of paper with your new car alternators)....

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org
    The lithium battery likes to recharge rather rapidly (after a start), compared to the lead acid - recharge rate on your alternator output. I’m seeing this on the Blackhawk converted Caravans with the True Blue lithium battery. What are you folks seeing for a battery recharge rate, after a normal and a hard start with the EarthX? I’m wondering how the 20 amp alternator is going to hold up to this rapid demand?
    Thanks Steve Pierce thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm running a 680 on an 8 amp b&c and seams to be great. Minimum electrics. Takes about 15 mins to get back up to 14.2 volts after a long time without use and a start. It has taken me a while to build confidence in this set up but now I love it.
    Last edited by cgoldy; 08-05-2018 at 06:10 PM.
    Back Country O-375 wide body extended wing cub
    Thanks nanook thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    In the initial minutes after starting I see 5-6 amps on the ammeter and after a few minutes it's down to 1a. Voltage doesn't vary much.
    Thanks nanook thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    SJ
    They didn’t say for certain but surmised it was an internal short caused by an assembly error.
    Lou
    Thanks SJ thanked for this post
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

EarthX multitasking

Tailwheel.jpg

Let's not dismiss the value of Lou's expired EarthX battery. I may have not been able to replace my tailwheel at Thomas Creek without it.