• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Earth X batteries, ok or not?

Read post #140. I’m a happy customer. Happy enough that when I was told to take my battery out I marched right into Reeve’s and bought another one. Then a few days later I got the warranty replacement, so now I have a spare. I’ve been an Odyssey battery fan for 20 years and still have one in my Cessna. My Earth X hasn’t been through a winter yet but in every other operation it’s equal to or better than my Odyssey. It just weighs a lot less.

My day pack has a Jump Pack in it. I use it fairly regularly, but so far not on a plane. I don’t know how the new Cub would hand prop but I’d rather jump it than find out. Why didn’t the Johnson Creek plane get hand propped? And none of you back country guys had a Jump Pack in your gear?

To call out a single issue with a particular battery is very subjective. Did he leave the master on and kill it at some point? These batteries and the AGM batteries (Hawker) are susceptible to the same thing. It is all a compromise. Lots of people getting 7-8 years out of them like the Hawker. Concorde and Gill about half that if you are very lucky.

It was thought to be an internal failure at the time, jump pack would not budge it with the battery connected but would with it disconnected. I have not followed up on it. As you know, I like new technology, but we pretty much understand all of the failure modes of old fashioned batteries, I am only saying I would like to see more of the failure modes of the new technology before I switch to it.

sj

What did Earth X say about the problem? I’d like to hear the rest of the story.

They replaced it as well. I don't remember if it was still under warranty or not but he was happy with their service.

I agree with you SJ, I can live with the compromise at this point since it is easy to hand prop my plane and I don't need electricity to fly it.

The battery they arecertifying is big enough for 520s or 540s. Overkill for my 320. They are not certifying a battery comperable to a 680. That is my motivation for the field approval. Need to get back to round 2 with the FAA on that.

FWIW, Earth X recommends sizing the battery based on the charging system output, not the storage capacity. When I asked a couple of years ago the known failures of Earth X batteries were caused by improper charging.

All
I was the one who had the EarthX ETX900 die on him at JC in June.
The battery would not take a charge and registered 3.46V on a tester. It had been acting up slowly over the past few weeks. Started cranking slower than normal. I was able to start it with my EarthX Jump Pack but it would not keep the battery contactor relay closed once removed. I was unwilling to make my “plan B” a “plan A” and rely on the Jump Pack to fly around the Backcountry for a week!
I had to buy a Gill 35 (worst battery ever) from McCall Flying Service at $170 over Spruce’s online retail ( not happy) but it was that or nothing. That alone added 23 lbs back on the plane!
I called Kathy Nicoson at EarthX and explained the situation. She confirmed I had done all I could to trouble shoot it and when I returned home there was a new ETX900 waiting for me. It was 6 months out of warranty but she honored it.
The most troubling thing about the failure was the fact that the BPM under voltage circuit ( a feature of all EarthX aircraft batteries) and light did not come on.
This is my second EarthX battery aircraft. I ran one in my SC for 6 years without a problem.

EarthX stands behind their products, knowing that these type of failures do happen on rare occasion. Just the fact that their main battery line is made in the USA as opposed to China is comforting.
Oh, and in the spirit of full disclosure, I am an EarthX dealer and have faith in all their products, or I wouldn’t sell them.

Lou

The Concord in our RV-4 went from fine to unable to fire up the alternator in just a few starts/flights. Had to hand prop it to get it home.

The Earth-X ETC900 in our Bearhawk has been running strong through summer and winter.

...single selected data points don't tell much. Just about anything can fail.

I can carry 3 Earth-X batteries for the weight of a single PC680. ...imagine how many I could carry instead of a Concord or Gill!

The EarthX starts better too.

FWIW, Earth X recommends sizing the battery based on the charging system output, not the storage capacity. When I asked a couple of years ago the known failures of Earth X batteries were caused by improper charging.

True. From the research I have done the Earth X ETX680 and my B&C 40 amp alternator are compatible.

ETX680C $379 13.2 volts 12.4Ah 680/320 PCA/CCA 3.9 lb (1.8Kg) weight C case size 400ci engine size or less; 60 amp alternator or less
ETX680 $379 13.2 12.4 680/320 4.1 lb (1.86Kg) E 400ci engine size or less; 60 amp alternator or less
ETX900 $449 13.2 16 840/400 4.9 lb (2.2Kg) E 540ci engine size or less; 80 amp alternator or less
ETX900-VNT $549 13.2 16 840/400 5.4 lb (2.4Kg) E 540ci engine size or less; 80 amp alternator or less;includes built in thermal runaway containment andventing for in cabin installation
ETX1200 $725 13.2 24.8 1200/600 6.9 lb (3.1Kg) E 550ci engine size or larger; 120 amp alternator or less
https://earthxbatteries.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/2018.Brochure.pdf

All
I was the one who had the EarthX ETX900 die on him at JC in June.
The battery would not take a charge and registered 3.46V on a tester. It had been acting up slowly over the past few weeks. Started cranking slower than normal. I was able to start it with my EarthX Jump Pack but it would not keep the battery contactor relay closed once removed. I was unwilling to make my “plan B” a “plan A” and rely on the Jump Pack to fly around the Backcountry for a week!
I had to buy a Gill 35 (worst battery ever) from McCall Flying Service at $170 over Spruce’s online retail ( not happy) but it was that or nothing. That alone added 23 lbs back on the plane!
I called Kathy Nicoson at EarthX and explained the situation. She confirmed I had done all I could to trouble shoot it and when I returned home there was a new ETX900 waiting for me. It was 6 months out of warranty but she honored it.
The most troubling thing about the failure was the fact that the BPM under voltage circuit ( a feature of all EarthX aircraft batteries) and light did not come on.
This is my second EarthX battery aircraft. I ran one in my SC for 6 years without a problem.

EarthX stands behind their products, knowing that these type of failures do happen on rare occasion. Just the fact that their main battery line is made in the USA as opposed to China is comforting.
Oh, and in the spirit of full disclosure, I am an EarthX dealer and have faith in all their products, or I wouldn’t sell them.

Lou

Lou, did they tell you what failed and why?

sj

As would be the ETX900. I have the B & C 40 and it works fine for last three years. On 0360 engine. cranks like crazy, cold weather or hot.
John

The ONLY time alternator output has ANYTHING to do with a battery capacity or charging limits, is when you ran a battery down/dead. Other than that the alternator is just keeping up with the buss demands and a small amount to recover from starter use. Alternators are not really meant to be battery (re)chargers after you kill battery. Or so I’ve been told(even comes on sheet of paper with your new car alternators)....

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

The ONLY time alternator output has ANYTHING to do with a battery capacity or charging limits, is when you ran a battery down/dead. Other than that the alternator is just keeping up with the buss demands and a small amount to recover from starter use. Alternators are not really meant to be battery (re)chargers after you kill battery. Or so I’ve been told(even comes on sheet of paper with your new car alternators)....

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

The lithium battery likes to recharge rather rapidly (after a start), compared to the lead acid - recharge rate on your alternator output. I’m seeing this on the Blackhawk converted Caravans with the True Blue lithium battery. What are you folks seeing for a battery recharge rate, after a normal and a hard start with the EarthX? I’m wondering how the 20 amp alternator is going to hold up to this rapid demand?

I'm running a 680 on an 8 amp b&c and seams to be great. Minimum electrics. Takes about 15 mins to get back up to 14.2 volts after a long time without use and a start. It has taken me a while to build confidence in this set up but now I love it.

Last edited:
In the initial minutes after starting I see 5-6 amps on the ammeter and after a few minutes it's down to 1a. Voltage doesn't vary much.

SJ
They didn’t say for certain but surmised it was an internal short caused by an assembly error.
Lou

EarthX multitasking

Tailwheel.jpg

Let's not dismiss the value of Lou's expired EarthX battery. I may have not been able to replace my tailwheel at Thomas Creek without it.

Attachments

• Tailwheel.jpg
    Tailwheel.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 229
Back