• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Acme Aero Bush Shock 2

Looks interesting. I'd be interested in hearing a report too.

I have the AOSS and think it is excellent. But there are new products on the market that may do as well.

is that a solid shaft?? they look neat. I could probably make a set of the lower struts and buy some gas shocks from an off roading site or something. It might be too much experimenting for me though? I'd like to see a report before buying. There's an old thread somewhere on better landing gear that mentions Roberts "RAGE" gear by Avweld, I don't see a website for them anywhere though.
Acme aer guys are on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/acmeaerofa...9.1073741829.369346813264639/408583046007682/

Last edited:
I looked at the Facebook page for Acme Aero and they seem to be going directly after AOSS in one of the posts. They say they have a pre-impregnated monorail at the cabana mounting point compared to a sleeve and bolt on the AOSS.

b7o2o5.jpg

2lifvur.jpg

As with all new efforts and advancements I wish them luck but personally having enjoyed a worry free AOSS system for three years the Acme system would have to come with an airplane attached to it for me to consider trading out. Cold, hot, heavy or not AOSS is consistent and maintenance free.

The implication is that they are intended for installation on a Cub. What is the certification status? In process? Done? FAA-PMA?

their problem was with upper atlee safety cable tab/plate interfering at full extensions... though Burl will not except this answer :)

IMG_1766.JPG

So I think you're saying that if the cable tabs shown here flop down the top of the AOSS could pinch the tab and cause a bind. This could only happen if the wheel was extended out enough to allow the AOSS to pivot up more than normal.

Though hard to see in the image I've got a black plastic tie holding my two tabs as close together as they'll go to prevent the problem. I may change this to .041" safety wire. that would be more durable, yet easily break if the top cables ever were tight.

BTW, these are cables that I made up for my experimental. Other cables and tabs probably fit differently.

Attachments

• IMG_1766.JPG
    IMG_1766.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 297
Last edited:
Mauleguy;671540 The rod end is a weak link without question and I would not put them on my airplane (acme aero)[/QUOTE said:
That does appear to be the case, I would like to see some test data though. And I'd like to talk to someone who has put them through some abuse. I'm interested to a degree, but Leary at the same time. Safety cables would be a must for piece of mind

..I would like to see some test data though. .

I go more by postmortem failures I've repaired/fixed for ferry flights, and they damage they cause... bust a gear or component in it, in tundra that might net you 4 spars and a fuselage bent in half... even if you stay dull side up

I don't see how you can compare this to ASOS if it is not certified. Having seen what Burl went through to certify the ASOS I would like to see this shock put through the same and then give Greg, Alec and Lonnie a pair for real world testing.

There are lots of TK1s installed and working hard in the field. Some guys have replaced AOSS with TKs and the pireps are good. This single shock model has some promise. I won't be surprised to see a gas shock hydrosorb replacement get STC'd fairly soon. I'll be more surprised if one doesn't.

Performance of course is everything. I have been looking for a stock gear replacement. Just as a point of interest, with these Acme units, are you not back to the same failure points of hydrasorbs? That is seal loss, leakage etc versus the lack of that same failure point with AOSS?

Also with regard to AOSS, do you all believe the interference issue with the Attlee Dodge cable tab has been solved with the new units?

Gentlemen, I appreciate the interest in our shocks. In reading over some of the comments I'd like to hopefully provide some clarity. We came out of the NASCAR and Baja racing worlds so even though we are new to the aircraft industry we are not new to building shocks. We were contacted by Just Aircraft to build their SuperSTOL shocks when they were having some issues with the previous shocks leaking. We saw an opportunity in the Cub world to do something different than what's out there so that's how we got here.

The AOSS and TK1 systems are both great systems we just set out to do things a little differently. We wanted to create a shock that is safe, light weight, infinitely adjustable to control rebound and dampening however we wished across all the different applications, and the sprung weight and ride height to never be compromised in case something happened. We wanted you to be able to get home if something were to happen in the field. After 2 years of R&D and testing that's what we've been able to do.

I read on here the concern over the 3/8" rod ends. We offer two different heim joints, 3/8" and 1/2". In a pull test the 3/8" heim pulled apart at 14,000 lbs and the 1/2" was above 22,000 lbs. Personally, aesthetically, I like the 1/2" on everything. The 1/2" obviously looks much beefier but the 3/8" performs well. The 3/8" heim was part of our shock set up that went through JSOC testing at Ft. Bragg and the shocks performed "better than advertised". Still, I would run 1/2".

We have drop and pull tested the shocks. The FB Live video of the pull test is on our FB page. We broke a 5/8" grade 8 bolt at 18,000 lbs and finally pulled the top cap apart at over 22,000 lbs. The 1/2" heim was still holding on.

We value feed back and constructive criticism and any questions you may have. Here are a few more details about our shocks to hopefully answer some general questions you may have:

· 7075aircraft grade aluminum shock body and extension· Allstainless steel internal components· Anodizedaluminum parts for added corrosion resistance· Teflonlined self-lubricating mono-ball attachment points· Upto 4”of travel at the shock which equals 7-9” at the wheel· Totalsystem weight 12 lbs.· Dualinternal fail safe stops for safety· 100%serviceability· Limitedlifetime warranty· Madein the USA by Veteran owned company· Testedto endure 22,000 lbs.· .375”or .5” lower heim attachment with 19,000 lb tinsel strength

I have failed stock Cub Gear components on rebound with skis installed.

That is where my concern lays.

i suppose with better rebound damping the failure mode I experienced would be alleviated.

You state that your goal was "infinite adjustability" of damping.

Did you acheive that? And how are you tuning? Clickers, shim valves, different orifices, fluid weights amd levels,

Last edited:
Dave, I completely understand. That was one of the parameters we were anxious to see. How would we perform on skis? Brian Turner has been bouncing them around for a few months now. We are learning a lot and feel like we are really close to getting them dialed in. It's been fun seeing trying to figure out the puzzle of having them work just as well on skis as on 29's.

Ha! Brian had my TK-1s for several months and chose not to install them. That was before Tony updated the rod ends. Maybe he should try them to get a good comparison? He knows how to find me. ��

We are making a change and sending a new set to Brian right now. Due to motion ratio we are going with a different spring. He should have them week after next.

Well. Adjustability wise.......I would like to tune them for myself.

That is why I asked what kindof guts you have in there.

Motorcycles and snowmachines and BICYCLES have the ability to click......some of them "...on the fly...."

There is some adjustability you would have. We do run low air pressures so if you wanted them stiffer you would let some air out and if you wanted them softer you would add air. Since the weight of the plane is supported by the internal spring we set that spring off of what we thought would be best for the weight of the plane. But we ended up being too stiff. We missed on our first shot but the next one should be perfect for SuperCubs

What is the travel and rebound rate. Just had a new Super Legend come through and the travel didn't seem very long and it seemed to come right back when we really pulled down hard on the wing. Unfortunately I didn't get to fly it.

What is the travel and rebound rate. Just had a new Super Legend come through and the travel didn't seem very long and it seemed to come right back when we really pulled down hard on the wing. Unfortunately I didn't get to fly it.

We have about 4" at the shock which equates to about 7-9" at the wheel depending on extension length. It would make sense that you didn't get to see the full rebound capabilities by pulling on the wing. I wish you had a chance to fly it to actually feel the difference. Darin at American Legend was one of the first to get a set and we have tweaked them to what he likes. The beauty of the design is if it's too stiff for you we can make it softer. I'd consider them more custom than one size fits all since preferences at different uses may call for a different set up on the exact same plane.

Back