• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Maine to Seattle - ? possible to do it all on grass strips ?

skyseeker

FRIEND
Hi All, New to the organization and being to plan a flight for next summer from Maine to Seattle in a PA-18 on wheels. I thought it might be fun to try and use primarily grass strips and wondering of this might be possible. I imagine there is no directory of grass strips with services so I thought I would start here.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Tim

There are a lot of midwestern airports with both grass and paved, the trouble you will have is that "grass only" airports often do no have fuel.

Stay tuned, such a directory might someday be a reality .... :)

sj

If you google search "grass runways with fuel" you will get links to several pdf files that list grass runway airports that have fuel services.

Hope this helps

Bill

Stanton Airfield KSYN Located half way between Minnneapolis and Rochester, MN. Historic airport with two grass strips N-S and E-W fuel is available.

I doubt it. In the 1970s it was possible once you hit Kansas or so, but now most have closed or been paved. Part of the problem is that communities started to accept massive federal aid for paving, putting private strips out of business.

the worst one I know of was Gila Bend - the Reillys ran a dirt strip, adequate for Dc-3s, and a short walk from town. The city got a hundred grand from the feds, paved a runway nine miles north, and then made it so you had to call some guy in town to drive out there to fuel you. Now, at least, we have credit card self serve, but the walk to town is a killer. I put a wing tank in, and now refuse to stop there.

Maybe you can post your expected route with known stops and folks here might be able to add to your list for you. Just a thought.

cafi

Laura's right....it's a big country. Draw a line that you might propose to transit, and let folks fill in the blanks. As Bob noted, there are a lot of grass strips out there in the midwest, but as you get further west, there are fewer and farther between, but there are many out there. A lot also depends on your fuel range.

MTV

Grass Runways with Fuel

Dave Cullum sent me this a few minutes ago to add to the thread. Not sure how old the info is, so you may want to check current data.

sj

Attachments

• grass_runways_with_fuel_111.pdf
    213 KB · Views: 472
I spoke to Russell today.. He is a member here. He said he woud try to log on and share his coast to coast grass adventure. He is a very interesting man and I am proud to own "Miss P."

Last edited:
Dave Cullum sent me this a few minutes ago to add to the thread. Not sure how old the info is, so you may want to check current data.

sj

So I finally got a moment to sit down and compile this data. It is dated 2005, so while not ancient it's probably not really up to date. In a quick look, it appears in at least my area the fact that it states "grass strips with fuel" should be taken with a grain of salt.

None-The-Less, I filtered it down and threw it up on a google map, along with a couple of other maps started by Rob Richardson for the Searay owners.

- The grass strips layer is purely the data from Dave Callum's list that SJ posted. It's broken down by color based on runway length, and if you click on any icon you'll see the data available.
- If you're flying floats or a powered canoe, the other layers have some really good info. Locations of other pilots, fuel, and some neat places to visit. Some of the places are well explained in the notes, and others are simply a marker. But, the idea was to share available landing spots, in particular for fuel and food.

Let me know if the link does not work, and any glaring errors, so we can get them corrected. If you have places to add send me a note and I'll enable editing for you to add as needed.

Grass Airports, Seaplane Spots, Food and Fuel -
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1Yg0LdekvpLAfBeBsZ77Nddg9lnU&hl=en&usp=sharing

Thanks,
pb.

If anyone wants it, I can also email the kmz file to import into foreflight as waypoints.

pb

It has to be doable. Heck, carry a fuel bag with you. A lot of paved ariports have plenty of lovely grass next to the runways for when you have to find fuel. Grass. Is. Good.

It has to be doable. Heck, carry a fuel bag with you. A lot of paved ariports have plenty of lovely grass next to the runways for when you have to find fuel. Grass. Is. Good.

There are members here who would caution you about landing beside runways that you do not know to be safely landable - drainage ditches and culverts while trying to stay on grass have caused more than their share of rebuilds.

sj

There are members here who would caution you about landing beside runways that you do not know to be safely landable - drainage ditches and culverts while trying to stay on grass have caused more than their share of rebuilds.

sj

That be true. Wise counsel. So, don't go unless you know. A low and slow drag will reveal a great deal of information. When in doubt, don't.

If anyone wants it, I can also email the kmz file to import into foreflight as waypoints.

pb

FB, Thanks for the data link. I have started working my way through some of the earlier lists by cross referencing with the current data in ForeFlight. The map view will certainly help a lot. I am keeping what I find in a spreadsheet and may learn how to add it in a similar way to a google map in the future. I also seem to be having trouble replying to this thread. I have posted a couple time but I don't see my comments in the thread.

I wanted to thank the folks for some good information and advise.

Tim

Sky seeker and Oldcrowe, I'll send you both an excel sheet with a revised list, and the KMZ file with all the map points and data.

Any questions ask, but here a link to import the KMZ into foreflight. (First part is done, just jump to importing)
https://support.foreflight.com/hc/en-us/articles/206356598-How-do-I-add-User-Waypoints-in-bulk-

Foreflight does a good job of hiding and then populating a large list as it zooms in and out. Here's a few screen shots.
IMG_1719.jpg IMG_1720.jpg IMG_1721.jpg

pb

Attachments

• IMG_1719.jpg
    IMG_1719.jpg
    407.5 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_1720.jpg
    IMG_1720.jpg
    526.2 KB · Views: 335
  • IMG_1721.jpg
    IMG_1721.jpg
    559.9 KB · Views: 342
Last edited:
Has anyone done an import for Garmin product? 500 series
Sure would be a cool Route 66 trip for some one. Heck maybe me?��
Looking to use this info to go from Rochester ny to Des Moines area to Trinidad Co. this year.
Or trip from ROC to TX STOL in the fall?
making good reads for us lower 48's.
Doug

Doug, I've not, but can you find out what type of file format Garmin uses?

When you say 500 series - I assume you are referring to a aera 500? (Not the G500 unless you're flying a Mirage... :) )

Back in 2011, recreational flying user said this :

Waypoints" on the Aera comprise:-

* Towns
* Airfields (Registered)
* Airways Intersections
* VOR
* NDB
* User Waypoints (Can be entered on the GPS user interface or alternatively you can drop XML files that define one or more waypoints into the appropriate folder while the GPS filesystem is mounted on a PC).

I feel sorry for you guys who need all this info before heading out on a trip. Half the fun is getting a little lost and making new friends along the way

Glenn

I have heard of guys grabbing the placemat from the dinner and using that to fly the Alcan!:wink:

Amazing how little one needs to know before heading somewhere, but being in a hurry requires planning. Otherwise how do you know you are lost?:oops:

Hi All, New to the organization and being to plan a flight for next summer from Maine to Seattle in a PA-18 on wheels. I thought it might be fun to try and use primarily grass strips and wondering of this might be possible. I imagine there is no directory of grass strips with services so I thought I would start here.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Tim

where are you starting from? You are welcome to start here at my strip we are 15 north of Bangor unmarked grass strip fuel close by. Heck any excuse for a party

jim

Back