Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maine to Seattle - ? possible to do it all on grass strips ?

Post Thanks / Like

Maine to Seattle - ? possible to do it all on grass strips ?

Hi All, New to the organization and being to plan a flight for next summer from Maine to Seattle in a PA-18 on wheels. I thought it might be fun to try and use primarily grass strips and wondering of this might be possible. I imagine there is no directory of grass strips with services so I thought I would start here.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Tim
    Likes pzinck liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    There are a lot of midwestern airports with both grass and paved, the trouble you will have is that "grass only" airports often do no have fuel.

Stay tuned, such a directory might someday be a reality ....

sj
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------

Spokane Felts Field, WA/Poplar Grove, (Chicago) IL
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you google search "grass runways with fuel" you will get links to several pdf files that list grass runway airports that have fuel services.

Hope this helps

Bill
    Very Blessed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Stanton Airfield KSYN Located half way between Minnneapolis and Rochester, MN. Historic airport with two grass strips N-S and E-W fuel is available.

Post Thanks / Like
    I doubt it. In the 1970s it was possible once you hit Kansas or so, but now most have closed or been paved. Part of the problem is that communities started to accept massive federal aid for paving, putting private strips out of business.

the worst one I know of was Gila Bend - the Reillys ran a dirt strip, adequate for Dc-3s, and a short walk from town. The city got a hundred grand from the feds, paved a runway nine miles north, and then made it so you had to call some guy in town to drive out there to fuel you. Now, at least, we have credit card self serve, but the walk to town is a killer. I put a wing tank in, and now refuse to stop there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe you can post your expected route with known stops and folks here might be able to add to your list for you. Just a thought.

cafi

Post Thanks / Like
    Laura's right....it's a big country. Draw a line that you might propose to transit, and let folks fill in the blanks. As Bob noted, there are a lot of grass strips out there in the midwest, but as you get further west, there are fewer and farther between, but there are many out there. A lot also depends on your fuel range.

MTV
    Likes scout88305 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    HEI. SW corner of ND

Post Thanks / Like
    The link is to a story about Russell Munson, the second owner of my Cub. He did fly coast to coast on grass
    http://airfactsjournal.com/2016/02/1...r-russ-munson/

Post Thanks / Like

Grass Runways with Fuel

Dave Cullum sent me this a few minutes ago to add to the thread. Not sure how old the info is, so you may want to check current data.

sj
    Attached Files Attached Files

Post Thanks / Like
    http://flyunleaded.com/mapusairports.html Some auto fuel and Swift fuel options, don't know how many, if any are grass.

Post Thanks / Like
    I spoke to Russell today.. He is a member here. He said he woud try to log on and share his coast to coast grass adventure. He is a very interesting man and I am proud to own "Miss P."
    Last edited by Eddie Foy; 10-04-2016 at 06:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty old site, but someone attempted to database some info online as well.

http://grassairports.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ View Post
    Dave Cullum sent me this a few minutes ago to add to the thread. Not sure how old the info is, so you may want to check current data.

sj

So I finally got a moment to sit down and compile this data. It is dated 2005, so while not ancient it's probably not really up to date. In a quick look, it appears in at least my area the fact that it states "grass strips with fuel" should be taken with a grain of salt.

None-The-Less, I filtered it down and threw it up on a google map, along with a couple of other maps started by Rob Richardson for the Searay owners.

- The grass strips layer is purely the data from Dave Callum's list that SJ posted. It's broken down by color based on runway length, and if you click on any icon you'll see the data available.
    - If you're flying floats or a powered canoe, the other layers have some really good info. Locations of other pilots, fuel, and some neat places to visit. Some of the places are well explained in the notes, and others are simply a marker. But, the idea was to share available landing spots, in particular for fuel and food.

Let me know if the link does not work, and any glaring errors, so we can get them corrected. If you have places to add send me a note and I'll enable editing for you to add as needed.

Grass Airports, Seaplane Spots, Food and Fuel -
    https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...en&usp=sharing

Thanks,
    pb.
    Thanks pzinck thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    If anyone wants it, I can also email the kmz file to import into foreflight as waypoints.

pb

Post Thanks / Like
    It has to be doable. Heck, carry a fuel bag with you. A lot of paved ariports have plenty of lovely grass next to the runways for when you have to find fuel. Grass. Is. Good.
    JP Russell--The Cub Therapist
    1947 PA-11 Cub Special
    www.bloomerrussellbeaupain.com
    Likes pzinck, Barnstormer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JP View Post
    It has to be doable. Heck, carry a fuel bag with you. A lot of paved ariports have plenty of lovely grass next to the runways for when you have to find fuel. Grass. Is. Good.
    There are members here who would caution you about landing beside runways that you do not know to be safely landable - drainage ditches and culverts while trying to stay on grass have caused more than their share of rebuilds.

sj
    Likes pzinck, Seaworthy, JohnnyR liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ View Post
    There are members here who would caution you about landing beside runways that you do not know to be safely landable - drainage ditches and culverts while trying to stay on grass have caused more than their share of rebuilds.

sj
    That be true. Wise counsel. So, don't go unless you know. A low and slow drag will reveal a great deal of information. When in doubt, don't.
    JP Russell--The Cub Therapist
    1947 PA-11 Cub Special
    www.bloomerrussellbeaupain.com
    Likes pzinck, Barnstormer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    If anyone wants it, I can also email the kmz file to import into foreflight as waypoints.

pb

FB, Thanks for the data link. I have started working my way through some of the earlier lists by cross referencing with the current data in ForeFlight. The map view will certainly help a lot. I am keeping what I find in a spreadsheet and may learn how to add it in a similar way to a google map in the future. I also seem to be having trouble replying to this thread. I have posted a couple time but I don't see my comments in the thread.

I wanted to thank the folks for some good information and advise.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    FB,

I would like the kmz file so once I become better acquainted with ForeFlight I can add some waypoints.

Thanks

Tim
    timhiggins@comcast.net

Post Thanks / Like
    PM sent
    Remember, These are the Good old Days!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sky seeker and Oldcrowe, I'll send you both an excel sheet with a revised list, and the KMZ file with all the map points and data.

Any questions ask, but here a link to import the KMZ into foreflight. (First part is done, just jump to importing)
    https://support.foreflight.com/hc/en...oints-in-bulk-

Foreflight does a good job of hiding and then populating a large list as it zooms in and out. Here's a few screen shots.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1719.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	407.5 KB 
ID:	28330 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1720.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	526.2 KB 
ID:	28331 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1721.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	559.9 KB 
ID:	28333

pb
    Last edited by Farmboy; 11-08-2016 at 09:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sent you a pm as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone done an import for Garmin product? 500 series
    Sure would be a cool Route 66 trip for some one. Heck maybe me?��
    Looking to use this info to go from Rochester ny to Des Moines area to Trinidad Co. this year.
    Or trip from ROC to TX STOL in the fall?
    making good reads for us lower 48's.
    Doug
    Likes pzinck, 62E liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Doug, I've not, but can you find out what type of file format Garmin uses?

When you say 500 series - I assume you are referring to a aera 500? (Not the G500 unless you're flying a Mirage... )

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL. Yes an Aera 550.

Post Thanks / Like
    Back in 2011, recreational flying user said this :

Waypoints" on the Aera comprise:-

* Towns
    * Airfields (Registered)
    * Airways Intersections
    * VOR
    * NDB
    * User Waypoints (Can be entered on the GPS user interface or alternatively you can drop XML files that define one or more waypoints into the appropriate folder while the GPS filesystem is mounted on a PC).

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel sorry for you guys who need all this info before heading out on a trip. Half the fun is getting a little lost and making new friends along the way

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Likes RaisedByWolves, 40m, Willie, Speedo, scout88305 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have heard of guys grabbing the placemat from the dinner and using that to fly the Alcan!

Amazing how little one needs to know before heading somewhere, but being in a hurry requires planning. Otherwise how do you know you are lost?
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!
    Likes Colorguns, Seaworthy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skyseeker View Post
    Hi All, New to the organization and being to plan a flight for next summer from Maine to Seattle in a PA-18 on wheels. I thought it might be fun to try and use primarily grass strips and wondering of this might be possible. I imagine there is no directory of grass strips with services so I thought I would start here.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Tim
    where are you starting from? You are welcome to start here at my strip we are 15 north of Bangor unmarked grass strip fuel close by. Heck any excuse for a party

jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Tim, do you live in the Maine fun zone? we are always looking for new playmates, or just heading back to the West with your new toy?

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aktango58 View Post
    ..... Otherwise how do you know you are lost?
    I have never been lost, I always know where I am.
    "No matter where you go, there you are."
    But I have many times been temporarily unaware of the direction to my destination.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!
    Likes Farmboy, Tim, Seaworthy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cubdriver2 View Post
    I feel sorry for you guys who need all this info before heading out on a trip. Half the fun is getting a little lost and making new friends along the way

Glenn
    Just carry a gas can so you can pack a few gal to the plane if need be.
    I may be wrong but that probably won't stop me from arguing about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by S2D View Post
    Just carry a gas can so you can pack a few gal to the plane if need be.
    Or dumpster dive at the gas station for empty 1 gl windshield washer jugs

Glenn
    Likes pzinck, Colorguns, Skywalker liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nearly a year later, it looks like the trip will happen!!

Hi all,

Thank you again for all the good information that you sent my way. I have a one way ticket to the East coast on Sept 14th and I have to get myself back to work about 10 days later in Seattle. I put together a rough route from the grass field data bases that were shared with me. A couple of the legs are a little long and weather will of course play a major factor. The rough route is the following: 3B5 K23 38D 3KK KEGQ KSBU KSYN 1D8 KMBG KHEI KSPF 6S8 KBZN KMSO KMSO does not have grass and the next one I could find is Harvey Field in Monroe, WA.

I would love to hear about additional grass fields with fuel along this route that would be particularly interesting to visit, that have particularly good food, or have easy access to a good night's sleep. I hope to do a lot of camping with the plane once it is out on the West coast, but do not plan to camp on this trip. Also happy to hear about any spots that I may prefer to skip over.

Thanks again for any knowledge of your local areas.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Instead of KMSO, go to 4U7 West Fork Lodge in Montana. Grass, gas, food, and lodging. Great stop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was just looking over your route on Foreflight and also realized Kamiah Idaho S73 has fuel and is grass.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skyseeker View Post
    Hi all,

Thank you again for all the good information that you sent my way. I have a one way ticket to the East coast on Sept 14th and I have to get myself back to work about 10 days later in Seattle. I put together a rough route from the grass field data bases that were shared with me. A couple of the legs are a little long and weather will of course play a major factor. The rough route is the following: 3B5 K23 38D 3KK KEGQ KSBU KSYN 1D8 KMBG KHEI KSPF 6S8 KBZN KMSO KMSO does not have grass and the next one I could find is Harvey Field in Monroe, WA.

I would love to hear about additional grass fields with fuel along this route that would be particularly interesting to visit, that have particularly good food, or have easy access to a good night's sleep. I hope to do a lot of camping with the plane once it is out on the West coast, but do not plan to camp on this trip. Also happy to hear about any spots that I may prefer to skip over.

Thanks again for any knowledge of your local areas.

Tim
    I see your planned route takes you through Montana. There are a lot of very active fires in Montana right now. That means a lot of smoke and a maze of fire TFRs. You need something to show you where the TFRs are. My Radar is a free app that will display them. Something like 50 new starts this week in Montana. One is very close to me that started Tuesday night. Lightning strikes.
    "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." Wyatt Earp

Post Thanks / Like
    At Dekalb Illinois we have a grass runway south of 9 to 27 2500' x 100 the reason it's not listed as I believe the Fbo can't list parallel runways along side of the ils

Post Thanks / Like
    Tim I see your first stop is Cooperstown. If you need any help I'm only a couple miles over the hill. Text me and I'll meet you over there. Three 15 Two 19 Three 944

Glenn