• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

alaska aircraft auction

duckhunter10

Trying to find the auction of the custom sq2 that was confiscated last year in case I wanted to bid on it, any information out there?

I recall a news report that an SQ-4 would be confiscated but that's not always correct info. And that case was federal if memory serves.

I recall one of my best friends back in 1966, older fellow I coon hunted and rode motorcycles with. He had recently purchased a new PU truck, the first new truck he had in his 50+ years.

Loaned it to his son who decided to point a rifle and light out the window, he lost his truck to the game wardens. It was two days old.

Both state and federal litigation involved in this case. Could be years before it comes up for auction.

There is no litigation in this case. It was an uncontested forfeiture from actions on a federal preserve thus the State of Alaska has no interest in this matter. The FWS is in possession of the SQ4, it's in Alaska, and they want to put it up for sale ASAP. The timeline is delayed because the aircraft is Experimental and their internal policy needs to be amended to accommodate the sale of an Experimental Airplane.

They have no estimate of the timeline of the sale.

Jerry

Didn't see it in the article but I thought commercial use wasn't allowed for Experimental Aircraft?

Commercial use of Experimental aircraft is not legal. The way many guides and many lodges operate in Alaska is that they sell you a "Package Hunt". That includes the guide fees, food in camp, camp accommodations, and oftentimes, transportation to and from the camp. In those cases, the transportation to and from the camp (and during the hunt) is generally considered "incidental" to the purpose of the hunt. The hunter is purchasing a hunt, not a flight. The flight is incidental to the hunt.

Look at aerial photography. Same rule applies. The FAA says that the use of the aircraft is incidental to the primary activity, which is taking pictures. So, no commercial certificate is required of the pilot, no FAA operating certificate is required, and as far as I know, there's no restriction on using an Experimental category aircraft.

Ten or twelve years ago, the FAA decided that they needed to require all guides and lodges to hold an FAA Operating Certificate (essentially a 135 certificate). They held a couple public meetings on the subject. Their stated reason for wanting to change this policy was to "improve the safety and accident record of the guiding industry in Alaska". At the meeting I attended, about the third gent who stood up to make a verbal comment asked the question: "If your purpose is to improve the aviation safety and reduce aviation accidents involving the Alaska guiding industry, why are you proposing to place us under the same rules as the Alaska air taxi operators, who happen to have a far worse accident record than we do, and who in fact have one of the worst accident records in all of aviation?". That kinda ended that meeting.

Anyone considering a hunt in Alaska that will include flights should ask a few questions about who is flying the planes, etc before spending big bucks. That said, the guide industry really doesn't have a bad accident record in Alaska, but due diligence is always a good idea.

MTV

Back