• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Sd air service super cub project

CDraper-SDAirService

Rutland
Hello Everyone!
My name is Cameron Draper I Work Occasionally With My Father-Scott Draper- At The Shop. We've had many projects laying around over the years and we've finally decided SUPER CUB. We got a super cub fuselage and are putting together wings now(establishing parts) and so forth. However, We would like to know what STC's and Field Mods We Should Shoot For. Our FSDO In Portland- WE ARE IN VT- Is Rather "Strict" To say The least , STC's Are Fine, Certain Field Mods May Be an Issue. ANY Suggestions Would Be Appreciated .
~C.Draper-SD Air Service

Hello Everyone!
My name is Cameron Draper I Work Occasionally With My Father-Scott Draper- At The Shop. We've had many projects laying around over the years and we've finally decided SUPER CUB. We got a super cub fuselage and are putting together wings now(establishing parts) and so forth. However, We would like to know what STC's and Field Mods We Should Shoot For. Our FSDO In Portland- WE ARE IN VT- Is Rather "Strict" To say The least , STC's Are Fine, Certain Field Mods May Be an Issue. ANY Suggestions Would Be Appreciated .
~C.Draper-SD Air Service

Build the plane to fit the mission!!! Do you need a heavy hauler that is going to rough strips cutting willows, on the way or do you need a one person weekend flyer? Do you need big tanks or will stock do. 35 inch bushwheels or Gar Arrow for thorns? Belly pod for moose and fish? How high are the strips the plane will fly out of? If you are building to sell find the buyer first!!! Lots of STC's for most any mod (except for real big flaps).
DENNY

What is your mission for the airplane? At a minimum I always install safety mods from F. Atlee Dodge, the top deck X brace and seat belts to the floor. I would spend a lot of time reading here to determine the rest. Lots written on most everything.

What is your mission for the airplane? At a minimum I always install safety mods from F. Atlee Dodge, the top deck X brace and seat belts to the floor. I would spend a lot of time reading here to determine the rest. Lots written on most everything.

Cameron,

Sadly this site isn't very responsive to inquiries like yours anymore. I'll offer a list of popular items that guys add to Cubs and you can search the site and find lots of discussion on most everything.

1- tires. pick the ones that suit you for reasons you find important. Bushwheels, AK Tundra Tires, Desser... all work
2- 3" extended HD gear. Cubcrafters, Atlee Dodge, and Airframes Alaska all make them. All work well. Especially important with long props.
3- high pressure brake boosters. North River, Dakota Cub, Steve's Aircraft all make them. All work well.
4- Atlee Dodge landing gear safety cables. In case you're going bush bouncing.
5- Borer prop. 82" Mac props in pitches from 41 to 44 for most 150-160hp Cubs.
6- lightweight battery relocated under the pilot seat. Atlee Dodge and Dan's Aircraft both have approved kits. AC43.13-2B has an alternate method of installation as well.
7- X brace. Atlee Dodge gives the approval away for free. It reinforces the top deck to keep the pilot safer if he snags a wing.
8- Seat belt attach to structure (not to seat). Atlee Dodge. Good mod. Use it with your favorite shoulder harness addition to complete the package.
9- removable rear brace. Atlee Dodge sells it. It makes loading/unloading much easier.
10- Extended baggage. Atlee Dodge. Kinda self explanatory.
11- Baggage doors- Lots of variations out there. Upper, lower, trap doors... look around and see what you like.
12- Micro Aerodynamics VGs. Very popular.
13- Improved suspensions. Burl's AOSS is still the hot one for certified airplanes. T3 tail springs may be a minor depending on the attitude of the guy signing it off. Cool stuff.

If you're planning to work this Cub? Maybe the best mod is a gross weight increase. Payload pays the bills.

There are lots of other things you can buy. Long steps, fueling steps, gap seals, lift handles, tie downs, etc. Maybe somebody else will add to the list. If you have questions please ask.

Last edited:
"Sadly this site isn't very responsive to inquiries like yours anymore."

Stop the hate. Five good responses in less than 30 weekday hours. The best being define the mission, and search this great resource.
Cameron, it will be nice to have a project close to home that I can follow. I'll stop in this fall to say hello.

Glenn 40M

Thanks Everyone, We Are In VT, Being A Maintence Shop Our Own Projects Usually Move Pretty Slowly, As Do My Responses To Forum Post I Guess.If Passing Through You Should Stop By At KRUT.
You Probably Wont Find Me At The Shop Unless Its After 3pm But My Father Is Always There.
I Will Try To Get Him To Voice An Opinion On Here Soon.
-C.Draper

Back