• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA-12 door modification on a Dakota Airframe

1Seaplane

Naples, Maine
Has anyone changed the door on the airframe back to the original Super Cruiser style? I'm getting older (notice I didn't say old!) and find it difficult to get into mine. It's beautiful and I want to keep it, but need to get in and out faster to make it to the moving dock! I can operate much faster with the 12 door instead of the 18.

All the -12 rebuilds I'm familiar with that used Dakota Airframes have swing-up seaplane doors. Yours has a split Cub type door? It should be easy enough to replace the latter with the former but I'd guess most guys would prefer a split door given the option.

All the -12 rebuilds I'm familiar with that used Dakota Airframes have swing-up seaplane doors. Yours has a split Cub type door? It should be easy enough to replace the latter with the former but I'd guess most guys would prefer a split door given the option.

This is a new airframe, and I can't find a diagram of it without fabric. That would give me the answer as to whether there is a support there in the way that is mandatory to stay.

I'm pretty sure the main structure is the same---just missing all the channels that give the original door it's shape. The 12 I have has a seaplane kit and also a swing up door that is the original shape. I used to weld up there but did the rear section of the fuselage mostly.

Has anyone changed the door on the airframe back to the original Super Cruiser style? I'm getting older (notice I didn't say old!) and find it difficult to get into mine. It's beautiful and I want to keep it, but need to get in and out faster to make it to the moving dock! I can operate much faster with the 12 door instead of the 18.

I don't see how a door hinged in the front and will be in the way is going to make things quicker?

Glenn

I think this is what the man wants----swing up with the lower V shape instead of straight across the bottom 6 inches higher. I know I like not having to lift my foot any higher than this. I can put my right foot in the step and put my left foot on the floor behind the left rudder pedal---it's quite a stretch and reverse to get out. I still like my 180 Cessna better!!!!!!20160901_165719.jpg

Attachments

• 20160901_165719.jpg
    20160901_165719.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 140
Back