• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Transponder woes...

Taledrger

SPONSOR
SW Michigan
It appears the second digit on my transponder is stuck on "2". Number changes on the face but not internally. It's an old AT-50a Narco and probably seen its better days. Just wonder if any one has seen this before?
My sons PPL check ride is coming up and need a transponder check, this obviously won't pass...

There is a fix for that. It involves taking a boat off shore about a mile or so. Salt water is better than fresh water. Take that transponder in your dominant hand and attempt to throw it back onto the beach. Then go to town and get a new transponder.

If you want to put the new transponder in the same location, I'd recommend something like a KT-76A with a Trans-Cal, Nano encoder. If you want to save space look into a Sandia STX-165 as it has a smaller faceplate and built in encoder.

Web

Classic!

SJ, I hereby nominate the above response for the category of best advice and responses to be printed on the Calendar...

Last edited:
There is a fix for that. It involves taking a boat off shore about a mile or so. Salt water is better than fresh water. Take that transponder in your dominant hand and attempt to throw it back onto the beach. Then go to town and get a new transponder.

Web

Now that is FUNNY!!:smile:

I've had Narco AT-50 or -150 series transponders in two different airplanes,
and they worked just fine the whole time I owned them.
The one in my current mount has been in there for 24 years, and still works great.
A new brand means installing a new tray & probably a new harness.
Maybe you can buy a good used Narco txp from someone who's upgraded to a digital model--
then it's just a plug-and-play job.

AT-50 was never a good unit to begin with. Along with that, Narco has been out of business for three years or so. If you get another AT-50, you get another problem you're waiting to fail on you. Just get rid of it now and get something that's supported.

Web

I have a spare Narco AT150 that was serviceable when removed from my SuperCub when we started the rebuild. Not needed so you are welcome to it if it will do the job and hopefully it might slot right in. I am in the UK which is a bit more of an issue. I cannot promise anything but may be able to get it to either JFK, BOS, ORD or YYZ and ship it from there if it is of interest. The Super Cub is on a UK Certificate of Airworthiness so I can supply paperwork to the effect that it was removed serviceable from that aircraft.

IMG_0012.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0012.jpg
    IMG_0012.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 187
I had a 25+ year old Narco transponder that we found some problems with during the 2-year static/pitot tests. I bought a new Narco AT-165 that slipped into the old tray. No new installation costs. About 6 months later Narco went belly up. It has been working fine - just had it checked last week.

The only reason I'd hesitate to do this again at this point in time is it would make much more sense to get an ADS-B transponder.

It appears the second digit on my transponder is stuck on "2". Number changes on the face but not internally. It's an old AT-50a Narco and probably seen its better days. Just wonder if any one has seen this before?
My sons PPL check ride is coming up and need a transponder check, this obviously won't pass...

Do you "have to" have the transponder for the checkride...?

If so can you get a loaner from someone local...?

Don't want to delay the pending check ride..!

Took the face plate off and the plastic knob shaft was broken... a little bit of "Last Glue You Ever Need" and back in business!!! I think...

Last Glue You Ever Need

Never really had much luck with wonder products like "Last Glue You Ever Need" but it might just be me.

I know someone going out to SEA on Sat 3rd Sep who will happily carry the AT150 with them and I could package it for UPS collection at the hotel.

Might be good to know that if the super glue lets go then you have another option in your locker without too much hassle.

Plan to replace the Narco kit when we reach that stage in the rebuild with the Trig TY91 radio and TT21 transponder which are really neat.

If you plan to add on a WAAS GPS for ADS-B out, you will need the TT22.

Never really had much luck with wonder products like "Last Glue You Ever Need" but it might just be me.

I know someone going out to SEA on Sat 3rd Sep who will happily carry the AT150 with them and I could package it for UPS collection at the hotel.

Might be good to know that if the super glue lets go then you have another option in your locker without too much hassle.

Plan to replace the Narco kit when we reach that stage in the rebuild with the Trig TY91 radio and TT21 transponder which are really neat.

TT 21 and TT 22 are identical except for power out. Both can be used for ADS-B and both wire identical.

Web

TT 21 and TT 22 are identical except for power out. Both can be used for ADS-B and both wire identical.

Web

Web, sometimes I think that you think I just make this up.

From the Trig website:

You may wish to consider our TN70 product line, this contains all the main components to provide an ADS-B Out solution in one box and can be specified with a TT21. Customers in the U.S. should be aware that FAA, Federal Aviation Regulations (FAR) 91.227 requires that a compliant ADS-B Out solution uses a Class 1 transponder. The TT22 is a Class 1 device and meets this requirement. The TT21 is a Class 2 device and does not meet this regulation.

This came to light when I was buying mine and confirmed by SP.

Last edited:
From the Trig installation manual:

The TT21/TT22 Mode S transponder system is an ED-73C compliant Mode Slevel 2els datalink transponder, with support for ADS-B extended squitter,elementary surveillance and SI codes, which also meets the relevantenvironmental requirements of ED-14F. The TT21 has a nominal poweroutput of 125 Watts, and meets the power output requirements for Class 2.The TT22 has a nominal power output of 250 watts, and meets the poweroutput requirements for Class 1. The ADS-B function meets DO-260B classB0 for the TT21 and class B1S for the TT22. The TT21/TT22 is certified toETSO 2C112b and ETSO C166a, and to FAA TSO C112c and C166b.

You are correct so far as the power out requirements. I was looking at it from an installation point of view.

Web

My original post was correct. FAR 91.227 requires a Class 1 transponder. I am correct as to legality if that is important to you. The installation is identical with excellent instructions.

Even I, non A&P, ATP, Chemical engineer could do it.

The TY91 is more dfficult.

Last edited:
I worked very hard for both of those, Web. This enlisted, officer thing wears thin after awhile.

How about fellow Cub drivers?

Web and Eddie, many thanks for the above.

We had quick look at it when we were weighing up some options and the summary was that in the UK we could fit a Class 2 (TT21) and be compliant for ADS-B if we were not going to exceed 175kts and 15000ft. The TT21 and TT22 are almost identical and both are compliant for ADS-B but the TT22 punches out over 250 watts and meets the Class 1 requirements. The FAA seem to have blanket bombed the issue by simply specifying Class 1 for compliance for ADS-B. We will probably push the boat out and get the TT22, in the words of my son "if you are going to get a bear, get a grizzly"

Bit of a step up from the AT50/150 but I agree with the ambitious objectives, upgrading to the new kit when your old kit fails is the way to go but the cost is significant. On the plus side, in time the NATS system in the UK will have the computing power to effectively predict and alert pilots to potential collisions as in the US, that is if we get all airborne craft fitted for ADS-B. The chaps in Alaska/N Canada will probably not want their flight paths tracked to within 10ft at times but this kit is wired through a circuit breaker.

Might be wrong but I think Mr Pierce might have an agency for Trig kit in the US.

I worked very hard for both of those, Web. This enlisted, officer thing wears thin after awhile.

How about fellow Cub drivers?
Yes, it does.

I initially enlisted in the Army (for the GI Bill benefits to use for flight school), worked my way up to NCO ranks, then was accepted to flight school and graduated as a Warrant Officer. Spent a good many years as line pilot and instructor, working pretty closely with ALL ranks.

I find most of the "officer/enlisted" crap comes from people who didn't serve, but see it in the movies and TV shows. The Army officers I knew had nothing but respect and admiration for the NCOs, who were the backbone of the Army. Likewise, the NCOs I worked with respected the officers (OK - with the occasional exception of a brand-new West Point graduate Lieutenant who "knew everything"). The enlisted guys took their cues from the ranks above them. When treated with respect, they returned the respect. And vice-versa.

You would be blind not to see it that way, Jim. I didn't serve but reported on wars for Canada in distant places involving US, British, Commonwealth, Pakistani and Indian forces among others. NCO's ran the military and respect was mutual. My last hour-long TV documentary for the national network involved a jump without any training from a military aircraft with a stick of paratroopers. The base commander colonel refused permission initially so I forwarded my request to the chief of staff of our armed forces and defence minister. Calling in a lot of favours, I got their permission but discovered final authority rested on a paratroop-training corporal's assessment of my physical fitness.

The one that fries my Butt is "Dont call me sir, I work for a living." In the USAF, the officers get 99% of the combat time.

This is asinine.

I apologize for any perceived slights to any and all who may have been offended. As a combat arms NCO, nearly every single person I encountered engaged in nearly continuous back and forth, verbal jabs. These usually centered around such items as branch of service, rank, age, gender, religion, and ethnic back ground. Almost any subject was fair game, only the timing or surroundings would dictate what subject would be avoided. Subjects brought up by an individual were considered 'targets of opportunity'. Apparently I misjudged my surroundings. But rest assured that if any of my comments were meant to do harm, there would be no question in the minds of any readers

Web

Back