• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Looking Back From the News Miner

mit greb

FRIEND
Fairbanks Alaska
50 YEARS AGO

Aug. 8, 1966 — The mystery of Fairbanks’ missing “walk-away” pilot Jules Thibedeau has apparently been solved.

The wreckage of a Piper Comanche aircraft, flown out of Fairbanks en route to Barrow by Thibedeau on Dec. 23, was spotted by a Humble Oil helicopter Saturday.

State Police are investigating the crash scene this morning. There are no definite reports as to whether or not the bodies of Thibedeau and his passenger Ronald Edwardsen of Barrow are inside the plane.

The 42-year-old Thibedeau had become a legend among bush pilots of the north and earned the nickname “Old Walk-Away” because of his luck in walking away from unplanned landings in remote areas.

I just showed that to my step dad "windy" he's 90
he says they found it because they were flying along and started seeing cases of pop on the ground in a row, they figured the electric propeller had issue and they were throwing the cases of pop out to try to lighten it up.........

Jules Thibedeau

"Does any one know if Jules was in the Comanche. was there ever a NTSB report on the accident."

QUOTE=mike mcs repair;666192]I just showed that to my step dad "windy" he's 90
he says they found it because they were flying along and started seeing cases of pop on the ground in a row, they figured the electric propeller had issue and they were throwing the cases of pop out to try to lighten it up.........[/QUOTE]

" Is your step Dad Windy Wendell who hunted polar out of Barrow with Bill Ellis Im doing research on my book and would like to talk to him if i could find him. I can be reached at ronhayes475@gmail.com

Ron, Mike quit this website.

maybe one of his closer acquaintances will get ahold of him for you.

Mike, did not realize you have left the site. Sadly, you will be missed as you are a wealth of information. Greg

Back