• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Airstrip Registration, Pros and Cons

Jacob Papp

Fort Edward, NY
Are there any benefits to registering an airstrip with the FAA? I know there would be a lot of liability associated with any public use airfield but is there really any reason to let the "MAN" know? :wink:

-Jake

Jake, you have to let the FAA know you are going to be using it as an airfield weather you put it on the charts or not. I know a guy who recently got into some heat about that, and I think there is a thread about that here.

sj

Mine is 18 years old, I had to fill a swamp in that was in the middle and one end is 20' from a state hwy. I asked the town supervisor if I should go to a town meeting to get blessed and his response was " are you crazy " . When I bent my Pa11 the FAA was at my hangar and asked if my strip was registered, when I said no he didn't seem to care, neither does Avemco

Glenn

Last edited:
I understand all that is listed in the AC. But my question is there any protection for the owner if it is registered? For instance are there federal zoning protection laws that would prevent towers and other structures to be built within a certain radius? Are there any fees that are associated with registration or requirements to maintain?

As I understand it, there is SOME protection if you are private owned public use from having cell towers and other obstructions built in the flight path.

sj

Sounds like I'm still ok after reading that, I'm I supposed to get the 20+ farmers who's hay fields I land in when it's hayed or land on skis in the winter to fill one of those out? Like I said I'm on a state hwy and the FAA drives by once in awhile when traveling. Jake might want to look into it but I would wait for them to complain first if it were me.

Glenn

Are there any benefits to registering an airstrip with the FAA? I know there would be a lot of liability associated with any public use airfield but is there really any reason to let the "MAN" know? :wink:

-Jake

Yes. If your town makes a law saying no airstrips you will be grandfathered in.

Jake, you have to let the FAA know you are going to be using it as an airfield weather you put it on the charts or not. I know a guy who recently got into some heat about that, and I think there is a thread about that here....

First time I've ever heard that.
But I do think it's a good idea to register it, my choice would be as an uncharted, privately-owned, "by invitation only" private-use airport. IMHO that way you avoid (some of) the liability of a public-use airport, while still being an "FAA-approved airport" should the locals get after you re zoning etc. Like behindpropellers says, you would be grandfathered in- that's not a slam dunk, but it should give you some arguing points if they ever want to shut you down.

You should also check with your State Aeronautics commission. Each state has their own aviation rules which in some cases have more authority than the FAA or the local town. The airspace rules generally only protect public use airports whether private or publicly owned. If your airport is for private use and your neighbor wants to erect a tall tower at the end of your runway, it's likely that the FAA will be of no help.

In this state, the state controls the privately owned airports whether private or public use. The FAA has control over the airspace.

By registering it you will save lots of headaches in the future when new neighbors move in and begin to complain about the noise.

If it is on the books already, not much can be done.

but if you don't have it listed, now you are going to have to get a "new" one approved

-Jake
we debated long and hard about the WAD. When I contacted the NHDOT Aviation the woman asked if we had local zoning which we did not.she told me to run not walk and get it registered with the FEDs. She told me I that once on the charts it was impossible to legislate it away.

Yep, it's a requirement to register it. Just go ahead and do it...it's painless. Another point that I haven't seen is one my lawyer pointed out to me....if it's registered and on the chart with a PRIVATE designation, and someone decided to land on it anyway without your permission, and bangs their plane or persons up....you're a lot more covered than you would be without that private designation, which states that they need permission to land.
Our aeronautics was a joke when I went to register mine...they had no clue that it needed registered and even argued with me until I showed him the reg.... then switched his arguement 180*...
As far as keeping things from being built in the "cone" of approach/departure, you'll need an "avigation easment" for protection there.
John

In NY the state aviation people require you file a security plan following the outline from the TSA that said not to be require to use this form, lol, there are a few step short of everything required of JFK. But they will notify the FAA for you and they are nice people in the office. Only takes a few mins to fill out, now for me over a year to mail it in,lol. Still haven't but my strip is on the charts.

As far as keeping things from being built in the "cone" of approach/departure, you'll need an "avigation easment" for protection there.
John
In Mass this "avigation easement" is covered by the FAA's and State's appropriate "cone" of approach/departure regulations. I've managed to get obstacle threats removed through this means. Basically just sic the FAA AND State on it, they love to enforce something like this. BUT ONLY IF SOMEONE BRINGS IT TO THEIR ATTENTION. The State was more help.

Many states including Massachusetts have laws which protect you if you are allowing recreational use of your property at no cost.This includes private airfields.

Bill

By registering it you will save lots of headaches in the future when new neighbors move in and begin to complain about the noise.

If it is on the books already, not much can be done.

but if you don't have it listed, now you are going to have to get a "new" one approved

We registered ours for the reasons stated above and have not regretted it. You never know when a new "neighbor" decides they don't like the noise regardless of the fact they were aware of the strip when they purchased the house at the end of your runway. I also know of a situation where the middle of an unregistered runway (been there 30 years round about) was in the path of a new proposed TVA transmission line and the property owner is in a battle to keep his runway. HAD it been registered TVA would have chosen a different route. And when you have an identifier all your friends can find you.:smile:

Many states including Massachusetts have laws which protect you if you are allowing recreational use of your property at no cost.This includes private airfields.

Bill
RUS Recreational Use Statute. Maine, New Hampshire and Mass. have it enacted. Total hold harmless if you give permission or not. The RAF has strived to get this across the united states but has been fought by the Tort Lawyers.

I registered mine for all the reasons above. Neighbors, Towers. A new tower has gone up within three miles of me in the last couple years. Another existing one just got raised.
I am also very close to the Instrument Approach to runway 13 at ABR.
They have been talking for years about expanding runways at ABR and I wanted to be on the chart if they did. My thought was, they will have to work around me.
The paperwork was not that bad and the folks I dealt with at the FAA were very nice to work with. It will take two to three years to appear on the charts though.

Good luck with your decision.

In NY the reg. Just makes it easier for the lawyers to get the information to sue you. One stop shop for them.

Mine was on the SLC sectional for a couple decades, then I moved 1.5 miles away and have been unable to get it back on. The first year I thought it would be a simple process, same length, width, hazards, just 500' lower and slightly different site. No joy, does not compute apparently, and its been 9 years! I've decided I don't care, it was just for making it easier for others to find, and for bragging rights.

If someone lands it, crashes, and sues me, without prior permission , once I stop laughing I'll move to Mexico,. That is so far down my list of things to worry about, its " off the chart." Sorry...

I registered my place back in 2012. It's not really permission as much as notification. The faa checks that there are no airspace conflicts but they really can't tell you no without a conflict with some other airport or controlled airspace. They might try to advise you, especially making sure neighbors are not going to be screaming about it. When you go through the process, you will be given the opportunity to either be placed on the charts or not. I had mine removed from the charts because it's only about 800' and I didn't want some guy in a 172 to try and see if he could do it. I tell the insurance company where my plane is based, they won't be able to deny my claim because it's off airport. Once done, you will seldom ever hear from the Feds again.

I went through the process in 2014. Local level approval is first, the FAA wouldn't even look at it until I had the special use permit to provide with my application. I doubt that its different anywhere in the US. The application is extensive from the perspective of providing all the information they require as it relates to the location of the airstrip. Schools, towers, churches plus other items all had to be located as I recall. A map locating the it on the charts, elevations,lat longs of the exact location etc. In Florida if you use your property as an airstrip without permission from the state and they catch you , The end. They told me it would make the process extremely difficult to get approved.

First it was the special use permit, then application and letter from the FAA then final application to the state which basically automatic with the first to two approvals.

The FAA is primarily concerned with airspace,

Back