Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Lycon pistons

Post Thanks / Like

Lycon pistons

Has anybody had trouble with lycon pistons failing? I have a new set of 9.5-1 I was going to put in my o200 but when I talked to a engine guy he said there was problems with them

Post Thanks / Like
    Strictly second hand via rumors, I have heard of some issues with sticky rings with the Lycon pistons, but can't verify the rumor (A friend of a friend had them and ...). If I was really concerned, I'd give Lycon a call and ask them what kinds of problems have been reported with those pistons and what their recommendations are to avoid issues. They seem to be a decent company and will probably engage in a discussion. I wouldn't be afraid to run them if I wanted to go to 9.5:1 in my O-200. Usually when going to a high compression piston like that it's a good idea to also start with new cylinders.

-Cub Builder

Post Thanks / Like
    Continental makes the high compression pistons as well and they seem to need new rings in 500 hours due to blow by.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Lycon has some pretty slick high compression pistons, they are cut down on the sides and have a shorter pin held in by a snap ring. Are your piston stock or the ones Lycon makes. Give them a call, they are an easy bunch to talk with and have a wealth of info.
    Marty
    N367PS
    Psalm 36:7 "High and low among men find refuge in the shadow of His wing"
    www.marty2plus2.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Continental makes the high compression pistons as well and they seem to need new rings in 500 hours due to blow by.
    Are you referring to the 8.5:1 O-200-D pistons, or is there something else from Continental?

-Cub Builder
    Last edited by Cub Builder; 08-10-2016 at 11:46 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe those are the ones. Darin and the guys at Legend told me that.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    I've got a set in my O-200. Continental changed the top ring in that piston to a tapered ring. I had my top ring land machined square to fit the ring from the O-200-A (much less expensive and in an Experimental plane). So far, I only have 200 hrs on them and my compressions couldn't be better. We'll see how they hold up as I accumulate the hours, but I appreciate the heads up.

One minor note on compressions. I typically see better static compression in cylinders that have a bit of choke in them. The O-200 cylinders I bought from Superior for my engine have a bit of choke. I was mildly surprised to see that when I bought them as I thought all the O-200 cylinders were a straight bore.

-Cub Builder

Post Thanks / Like
    I've got several hundred hours on 9.5 Lycon pistons in an O-200-A bored 0.015" oversize. No problems with them on mogas. Were I to do it again, I would go 10.0:1.

Post Thanks / Like
    What do you have the O-200 in Jim?
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    It was in Rick's J3. We pulled it and installed a stock O-200 a couple of years ago.. Fuel burn went up from 4.3 to 4.7 gph when we went stock.

Post Thanks / Like
    Why did you pull it?
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Insurance. Lot's of folks fly in that plane, and the engine wasn't stock due to 9.5 pistons.

Post Thanks / Like
    I seem to remember a lot of problems with that engine when I was up there.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Intake elbow gasket on one cylinder missed the stud on one side. Caused it to run rough. Just needed that gasket replaced. Nothing wrong with the engine.

Post Thanks / Like
    In the spirit of full disclosure, I got a pm today from a mechanic that I admire, telling me that this particular engine has a history of problems caused by the high compression pistons. I've owned the engine since 1968/69 and have only had the one instance of roughness due to a mis-installed induction elbow gasket (not due to the pistons), so that statement surprised me a bit, particularly since he's never worked on the engine. I then contacted a friend who has flown the engine extensively since the pistons were installed (and who shared a hangar with it for the duration they were installed). He confirmed that other than the single induction gasket leak, it has been trouble free. So either the mechanic who hasn't worked on it is mistaken, or we are. I don't know which. The mechanic also pointed out that the high compression pistons are not allowed in a certified engine or on a certified plane. This is true, and as I said, we removed that engine a couple of years ago for insurance reasons after testing it rather extensively. I do not want to mislead anybody. Everyone who has actually flown this engine likes it a lot and has found it to be dependable. A mechanic I respect has said that it is not dependable and doesn't want me to mislead people. I don't want that either. For those of you who are experimental, draw your own conclusions.
    Last edited by JimC; 11-04-2016 at 10:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I already have the pistons and it is an experimental so I will get my cylinders overhauled and bored to .15 and see what happens. Anybody know on an o200 if the bore is straight or tapered?

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim, you are correct, I have never worked on the engine. My Dad has done the inspections on the airplane for the past 3 years. He would not do the inspections with that engine on the airplane. In another thread you talk about all the timing you put into this engine. I find that interesting as well. I remember all of the O-200s we found with cracked heads before AD 96-12-06 came out. Aftert that AD came out retarding the timing those issues went away and those were on engines with stock compression. Like I said before all of the people I know who have installed the high compression pistons on these small Continentals are blowing a lot of oil by 500 hours. For testing purposes I think it would be interesting to see what you found on an experimental airframe and your hot rodded O-200.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers