• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

What do I have

Doug Budd

Crawford Nebraska
Bought a champ project it came with a continental -12 engine , no data plate no logs. I'm thinking it a C model by the intake but I don't know what one , is there a way to tell with out tearing it down? I'm hoping it's a C90.

Pull one sparkplug.
Round off one end of a welding rod so you won't scratch anything.
Stick the rod in the spark plug hole and measure minimum and maximum welding rod displacement to determine the stroke.

Read the model number on the carb data plate (settings are different between 85 & 90)

Alternatively, measure the valve lift.
C85 is 0.382"
C90 is 0.410"
(I don't trust this method)

Check to see if you have two valve springs or three
(I don't trust this method either)

From what little I think I know-if it's a tapered crankshaft, it's not a C90. If the crankshaft flange is beveled on the outer edge it's probably a C75, C85, or maybe an early C90 or O200 crank. If the crankshaft flange has no bevel but is square at the outside edge, it is a later C90 or O200 crankshaft. I think you'll have to tear it down to see what camshaft is in it to really determine what it is. This picture shows the bevel of a C85 crank. jrh

Thanks , no carb so I can't check that I will have to rebuild it so I will have to tear down just wondered what I have. It is older as it has eisman mags . Flanged crank beveled on the back side I will check the stroke

Went to check stroke no Pistons guess it's getting torn down thank for all your help.

It was a very good deal gave very little for the whole project . I have a set of new lycon piston if the cylinders are any good I will use them on my cub

FWIW Eisemanns weren't legal on a C90. Still doesn't mean that it might not be a C90

A series only came in -8 and -9.

C series all have the same case and lifters <for the most part> crank,cam,and pistons determine the hp.

Yep and think of the gas it won't use &#55357;&#56876; I was going to tear it down today but ran out of time thinking its probably a C 85

Back