• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Wipaire 2000 lbs gross weight increase?

Do it!
I flew 2008 from Fairbanks Alaska to New Foundland and had the 2000# grosweightincrease. I was realy happy. How offen did I fiy overgross becouse of the fuel I needed. Canadaa is huge. Same in Alaska. I flew FAI to the north east Colleen River and back. Needed because of bad weather back 10 gls more. I made it with 3-4 gls left.
C-M.

Good advice that ^^^ .

MTV

Tom, Thats the same way I do it.

I would suggest that anyone doing this to consider doing it the way shown by RaisedByWolves and Me. It's the easiest way...(Wipaire tells you to cut a giant rectangle in the wing....)

1. Mark it of with tape
  2. Sand to feather the areas you plan to put the patch.
  3. Then glue the patch on only the FWD side of the cut.
  4. Then cut the fabric being sure to remove a slot about 1.5 to 2 inches, roll it forward and tape out of the way. (The reson to cut the slot is so the patch can shrink up and retighten the fabric. We did not do it on this job but have on others - WAY EASIER!)
  5. Do the work then restitch from left to right and front to back using the original holes. Each stitch will be its own stitch, not linked to another.
  6. Glue the fabric, shrink, and finish

IMG_3482.JPG
IMG_3483.JPG
IMG_3635.JPG
IMG_3638.JPG
IMG_3659.JPG
IMG_3665.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3665.JPG
    IMG_3665.JPG
    157.6 KB · Views: 2,897
  • IMG_3659.JPG
    IMG_3659.JPG
    189.5 KB · Views: 2,874
  • IMG_3638.JPG
    IMG_3638.JPG
    201.6 KB · Views: 2,832
  • IMG_3635.JPG
    IMG_3635.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 2,818
  • IMG_3483.JPG
    IMG_3483.JPG
    152 KB · Views: 2,991
  • IMG_3482.JPG
    IMG_3482.JPG
    174.5 KB · Views: 2,808
Last edited:
I have done just one and did it in that manner. Not a big deal just think it out ahead of time and move carefully. Took a few hrs, but could be done quite a lot faster if done again. It is going to show but is worth it if you need the increase.

Does anyone have a good estimate on the labor hours for installing the WipAire 2000 lb STC components on the wings? I am going to have that done during recovering. I am just wandering what to budget for for the installation cost.

The internal wing mods don't take long if you do it during recover. Mine took about 5-6 hours for both sides (after opening the fabric). You will also need to weld in a small tube between door and front passenger seat cross tube.

Thank you bdf777. That is exactly the experienced answer I was seeking. WipAire states 30 hrs installation, but doesn’t break it down.

Any recommendations on the best Pawnee tailwheel spring to use for the 2000 lb increase? I see both 3 leaf and 4 leaf configurations. I will be installing Atlee Dodge 3” extended gear and 8.50x6 tires. I suppose the optimum is to re-camber/re-heat treat, but I am trying to obtain the best “off the shelf” Pawnee spring for the 2000 lb STC.

The internal wing mods don't take long if you do it during recover. Mine took about 5-6 hours for both sides (after opening the fabric). You will also need to weld in a small tube between door and front passenger seat cross tube.

There's a bolt on option so you don't have to do any welding on a covered airplane.

Don

Airframes Alaska 3 leaf HD Spring. Best I’ve found. Pawnee spring is just too heavy duty and stiff on a Cub.

Any recommendations on the best Pawnee tailwheel spring to use for the 2000 lb increase? I see both 3 leaf and 4 leaf configurations. I will be installing Atlee Dodge 3” extended gear and 8.50x6 tires. I suppose the optimum is to re-camber/re-heat treat, but I am trying to obtain the best “off the shelf” Pawnee spring for the 2000 lb STC.
If you are going to be using the full 2,000 lbs routinely get the 4 leaf.
DENNY

A bit of a riff on this thread - but where does the PA-12 wing fit in terms of gross weight increase? Is it stronger than the PA-18 wing, or weaker, or the same?

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Good morning Brandsman. I can't directly answer your question. I can tell you that the Roger Borer STC for gross wt. increase and upper aft baggage increases the standard gross wt.. We are doing a 12 here right now and it requires fuselage only mods, which are quite extensive on the top rear of the fuselage. Best done while covering. I would have to check, so don't quote my numbers, but I am thinking it ups the gross to 1935lbs. or some such. Does not address any wing mods for this upgrade.

PA-12 comparative wing strength

Good morning Brandsman. I can't directly answer your question. I can tell you that the Roger Borer STC for gross wt. increase and upper aft baggage increases the standard gross wt.. We are doing a 12 here right now and it requires fuselage only mods, which are quite extensive on the top rear of the fuselage. Best done while covering. I would have to check, so don't quote my numbers, but I am thinking it ups the gross to 1935lbs. or some such. Does not address any wing mods for this upgrade.

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply. I note per A-780 that the standard PA-12 has the same gross as a standard PA-18 at 1750 lbs, so it seems likely that the wings would be about the same. Your answer raises another question for me, since I have PA-12 wings attached to a J-5A fuselage, flying as an experimental. Given that the J-5A fuselage is probably inferior in terms of strength to a PA-12 one, and the PA-12 needs upgrades to the fuselage for the greater gross weight, it may be that even 1750 may be too much for mine, despite its 160 hp O-320. Fortunately it is just a fun flyer with me, so not flying very heavy at all.

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply. I note per A-780 that the standard PA-12 has the same gross as a standard PA-18 at 1750 lbs, so it seems likely that the wings would be about the same. Your answer raises another question for me, since I have PA-12 wings attached to a J-5A fuselage, flying as an experimental. Given that the J-5A fuselage is probably inferior in terms of strength to a PA-12 one, and the PA-12 needs upgrades to the fuselage for the greater gross weight, it may be that even 1750 may be too much for mine, despite its 160 hp O-320. Fortunately it is just a fun flyer with me, so not flying very heavy at all.

Landing gear has as much to do with establishing gross weight as the rest of the structure. Not sure if the J5 gear is the same as the PA-12. I know both are different from the PA-18, so thinking just the wing changes are all that is to it would be an incorrect assumption.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well yes, agreed, everything has a role to play and I am not wanting to hijack this thread - was just interested in how the 12 and 18 wing structures might differ. Briefly, though, t
he J-5A has the essentially the same gear as the J-3, the J-5C went to the same gear as was used in the PA-12 with internal bungees. I bought the heavy duty Javron gear for the 18, which fits quite well on my hybrid aircraft.

I vote the Bushwheel spring. Pawnee springs loose heir arch in the first year in my experience.

I was reading the Wipair STC and came across the following

REQUIRED ITEMS OR MODIFIED
EQUIVALENT:
• TAILWHEEL SPRING ASS’Y TO BE PAWNEE 4 LEAF,
1 HOLE, P/N PA25TWS
NOTE: THERE ARE MANY EXAMPLES OF CUSTOMERS INSTALLING TWO (2) BOLT SPRINGS AS SHOWN ABOVE AS WELL AS 3 LEAF PA25 SPRINGS. THIS IS NOT PER PRINT AND OUTSIDE OF THE WIPAIRE DRAWING

Does this mean I can use the bushwheel spring because it is “equivalent”? How do I know what equivalent options are allowed?

Legally you are required to use the Pawnee spring. The Bushwheel spring is a better spring, better arch and metallurgy that last more than a year. Sometimes common sense comes into play. Seen several accidents where a bad tail spring arch resulted in tailwheel shimmy that got out of control.

Hi, does anybody has some pictures of the „Main landing gear modification“ according to the Wipaire STC ? Just curious what has to be done …
Thank you and happy landings

Hi, does anybody has some pictures of the „Main landing gear modification“ according to the Wipaire STC ? Just curious what has to be done …

Piper had a lightweight V-shaped piece of metal to close the top of the fabric triangle of the gear legs. Wipaire provide a 3/8" or so square tube to replace this. Most PMA'd gear legs already have this installed.

Aerodon

Send an email to agesch(at)Wipaire.com and I can send you a PDF overview of the modification with photos.

—Amy

Back