Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stiff throttle on 185

Post Thanks / Like
    For the tail boom by the Jack screw Cessna had a SB I believe that let you add a inspection plate there. Up under the floor it's pure magic-lights and mirrors the smoke comes from dropping a wrench ten times and cutting your hand. Kinda just gotta get at it and it'll work out.
    The motor mount tips forward on a 185 and may help your IA get at the throtle cable. Make sure you use a good engine crane and go slow lots of stuff to bend and break= money.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a access plate STC for jackscrew area that is on mine and it does make access easier.

Didn't realize that the throttle was such a big job. Well it goes in Thursday and we ill see whats involved.

Post Thanks / Like
    Update,

The elevator has developed a bit more slop so I took the seats out and center console cover off and we had a look.
    It seems the fwd bellcrank 0510159 pivot bushing\s have come loose from the bellcrank and that is where the play is.
    You can see the bell crank moves up and down somewhat when with pushrod action.
    My IA is going to take it out today.
    I cannot find a new one available on the common Cessna part houses. They all have no listing for that PN.
    The PN may be superseded but doesn't that normally come up when you put in an old number?
    They are available on Ebay used but I would rather find a new one.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom3holer View Post
    ....The throttle, although gets the most use, seems worn with numerous scratches on the knob.
    The other two are covered in a colored sheath while the throttles spiral rap is exposed so it may be original....
    Responding to an older post on this thread....
    my mechanic uses Kroil, which is a penetrating oil (I think they make a special aviation version).
    He sprays it on the outside of the spiral cable housing and it penetrates through that to the inner cable.
    I used it on my carb heat cable, with (limited) success.
    Obviously this wouldn't do much for the newer teflon-lined cable housings.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

Post Thanks / Like
    In New Zealand we have to replace all engine control cables at engine overhaul.
    Quote Originally Posted by skywagon8a View Post
    Do all three and be done with it. Is there any reason to believe that these are not the originals?

Post Thanks / Like
    It was interesting that both cowl flap, mixture and prop were new with the engine but the throttle wasn't so I replaced it with a new McFarland.
    Unfortunately I have a Seaplanes West mount which is non tilting but my IA got the job done no problem.