• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

47 years ago today...

Scouter

SPONSOR
Exeter Maine
One of my lifelong heroes Neil Armstrong stepped off the lunar lander Eagle onto the surface of the moon.
I was 7 years old and watched it on a B&W tv with the guys who were painting my dads house.
What a man

image.jpeg

Born in Ohio he was the first Ohio bush pilot
jim

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    154.4 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Back then television programming in Alaska was two weeks delayed. Sports was only delayed one week. I think we got the moon broadcast live or pretty close to it. That was exciting stuff.

I was 12 and listened to it on an old philco floor model radio I had found. Kinda like when Kennedy got killed, I can always remember it.

Yep 47 years ago today I learned to water ski, then we raced home from the lake to watch the moon walk on TV!

I was 11 and remember trying to put tin foil on the rabbit ears for a better reception.

I was in college (so I'm older than OLDCROWE!) and a bunch of us watched on a TV in our apartment in Boston. Was it a Friday?

Years later I took the day off from work to go to the dedication of the Dowling College National Avaition and Transportation Center at our airport. Neil was there, which was why I went.

Rich

I was at Boy Scout summer camp, about 150 of us watched it on a snowy 13" black and white TV. Most don't know that he hand flew it to the surface with about 10 seconds of fuel left

Glenn

Boy Scout camp Napi on St Mary's lake near Glacier National park, sitting in a circle listening to it on a radio. Like it was yesterday......

The race to the moon inspired and fired up an entire generation. For many of this the fire never went out on our love of science and aviation and achieving something bigger than all of us. I hope the current generation finds something more important than a screen and a pokemon chase. The 7 year old girl at the airport tonight who wanted to sit in the Cub (and certainly did) is certainly a hope. Bet her Mom let's her go for a ride next time.

I was 13 (almost 14) and was enthralled with the whole thing. I can still remember it quite clearly. Exiting times!!

I was at a friends house having gone or getting ready to go coon hunting. His dad didn't believe it, convinced it was done on a sound stage somewhere........There were 7-8 people in the room. If you would have taken a vote on if it was real I'd say it was 50/50. My friend Hank Snow a true hillbilly from deep WV wasn't sure?

BTW, I was 100% sure it was for real. I was working for the army BRL @ APG and NASA was paying us millions of $ for ballistic testing and hypersonic wind tunnel work, none necessary for a hoax......

Jack

Last edited:
Covering the space program for Canada from Mercury nearly through Apollo, I early on "called" two of the three for the moon shot, including Armstrong. The Mercury pilots were what you'd imagine fighter pilots to be, their successors less so, more serious pilot/electrical engineers. Of them all, John Glenn and Buzz Aldrin seemed most personable to me. I once asked Glenn "what's an old, 43-year-old fighter pilot doing in space." "It's not a business of quick reflexes," he said, "it doing the right thing the first time." Gus Grissom was a sparkler. I was having dinner at home of Owen Maynard, Canadian chief engineer of the Command Module, when he got the phone call that Grissom, Chaffee and White were killed in a gantry fire at the Cape. They were all courteous and courageous and admirable men.

A couple of months ago I boarded the "aluminum tube of death" along with about 300 fellow souls and crossed the Pacific ocean at maybe 30,000 feet landing in Hawaii after a 5 hour flight. As I looked out the window I realized it was just another day. No big deal. Any society that could make that event "just another day" would have had absolutely no reason to "fake" a moon landing. Dangerous? Yes. Very difficult? Certainly. Fake? BS!

All my friends at the Flat earth society think it was staged. I tell 'em no way anybody wouldn't be able to keep a secret for 47 years.

Heck, several years ago NASA teamed up with the Italians and landed a craft on Titan, one of Saturn's moons. They figured out how to do it when a college student spoke up at a physics seminar with an idea to slingshot a spacecraft around a planet to extend it's range without burning fuel. Amazing stuff, and totally overlooked by the media and the population. The media is what's changed in our lifetimes. Success and achievement aren't newsworthy. They're too busy with the sensationalism of negativity.

I was in Arctic Village at the time flying air taxi,communications in those days was pretty poor to say the least.
I had a HF radio and an old AM radio that only worked part of the time,so the news was a bit delayed.
When we finally heard about the landing it was sure exciting.

If you took the TV we watched it on, a little 15 or 20" black and white with rabbit ears (I was eight at the time) and set it by a new ULTRA HD curved screen monster, you would not even be able to discern what was on the old B&W because quality has improved so dramatically - but to those in my family watching that flickering display, it had incredible clarity and was an incredible moment for the US.

sj

I was 12 and listened to it on an old philco floor model radio I had found. Kinda like when Kennedy got killed, I can always remember it.

I guess I was 11, and remember the day and what I was doing.
That was a major event for my formative years, and made me very proud of my country.
Another previous flight around the moon was equally memorable to me...the first manned voyage to the moon, Christmas eve, 1968.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vvNxhlP1jA

My oldest son started college at Purdue the same time they started building the new Neil Armstrong Engineering Building. It took nearly 2 years to build. Ryan lived across the street and said the day they dedicated it to Neil, there was a massive crowd in attendance. He is in the crowd here somewhere. Takes a bit to get to Neil
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byv8Dbq9uak

jim

I think it was a hoax
Grissom, white and chaffee probably are still alive and well. Imagine how those guys wives feel when people throw these conspiracy theories around. I hope u are joking uncle tim.

When my son was at the difficult age of 15 this was the thing that inspired him. He read all the books on that fantastic era. Now he's months away from completing an aeronautical engineering degree, and six months off starting military flight school. He wants to be just like all those guys. Jet fighter pilot and test pilot.

That period is the stand out, inspirational achievement of man.

When my son was at the difficult age of 15 this was the thing that inspired him. He read all the books on that fantastic era. Now he's months away from completing an aeronautical engineering degree, and six months off starting military flight school. He wants to be just like all those guys. Jet fighter pilot and test pilot.

That period is the stand out, inspirational achievement of man.

What branch?

Back