Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thank you all; Bought my 185 today

Post Thanks / Like
    IMHO 800's are a bit small for a Skywagon, I prefer 850's.
    Here's an approval letter which some people cite for installation approval vs purchasing an STC:

http://fadodge.com/images/pdf_files/...a_aircraft.pdf

From that letter:
    "the installation of 8.50 x 6, 4 ply tires on the original main gear wheels of Cessna 180 series, 182 series and 185 series is satisfactory".
    This approval may or may not be applicable if you use other than 4-ply tires, and/or other than original wheels,
    it's up to you & your IA to make that determination.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll second the 8.50's (just installed my third set of Good Years) and I'm about to order a bigger tail wheel myself glad you like the 10, Billy what do you have on the back?
    Remember, These are the Good old Days!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom3holer View Post
    I am in need of a new set of mains and am wondering on what brand to get. It has Condor 800-6 on now and would like to keep the same size for speed but need advice on what brand to get.

Tom
    Quote Originally Posted by little wing View Post
    I didn't see a change in cruise when I went from 8.00-8.50. Most I've spoken with have like them better, as do I. I thought they were already an approved tire, wrong, you do have to get the STC. I remember it being cheap, but can't remember how much.
    I would go with 8-50-6. The little extra diameter will roll better on your grass. And yes they are approved since all of the 180/185s which I've owned came from the factory with 8.50s.
    N1PA
    Likes little wing, mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    My 180 was delivered with "oversized" 8.00x6 tires. I've never seen any Cessna document that includes 8.50s.

This STC applies to 180s and 185s. http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Gu...&Highlight=5a6
    Thanks cubscout thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats!

sj
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Kirby, my tailwheel is the standard size but Pierce replaced the normal 4 ply with a 6 ply. Made a huge improvement in runway stability and ramp handling, the difference was night and day, I was really surprised. You probably already have the 6 ply, but wanted to emphasize for anyone replacing one on the standard 4" wheel.

Thought about BBW for when I have the 29s on but I kept remembering how much less precise my cub's ground handling felt, and the increase in turn radius, (without pivoting with the brakes). Some of the local skywagon club guys said most were getting away from the 10", so I never came to a conclusion for landing in the sand. I look forward to hearing from the guys here as to which they prefer and why.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Little Wing for the input. Most of my flying is grass or gravel strips. I am happy with the speed I am getting and do wonder how the 8.50 would not hinder the speed somewhat.

The plane came with a JPI 700 and I added the 450 FF gauge as well as Gami's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom3holer View Post
    Thank you Little Wing for the input. Most of my flying is grass or gravel strips. I am happy with the speed I am getting and do wonder how the 8.50 would not hinder the speed somewhat.

The plane came with a JPI 700 and I added the 450 FF gauge as well as Gami's.
    I run ROP down low and Peak above 9 and easily see 143 knots true on 8.50's and sometimes if I get it just right I see 147-8. The only speed mods I have installed are LoPresti hub caps and a tail pipe fairing, try 'em you won't regret it.
    Last edited by OLDCROWE; 08-18-2017 at 06:49 AM.
    Remember, These are the Good old Days!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by little wing View Post
    Kirby, my tailwheel is the standard size but Pierce replaced the normal 4 ply with a 6 ply. Made a huge improvement in runway stability and ramp handling, the difference was night and day, I was really surprised. You probably already have the 6 ply, but wanted to emphasize for anyone replacing one on the standard 4" wheel.

Thought about BBW for when I have the 29s on but I kept remembering how much less precise my cub's ground handling felt, and the increase in turn radius, (without pivoting with the brakes). Some of the local skywagon club guys said most were getting away from the 10", so I never came to a conclusion for landing in the sand. I look forward to hearing from the guys here as to which they prefer and why.
    The sand we are operating on with the 185 is such that we buried our tailwheel using the 8 and the 10" tailwheel.With the Baby bush wheel it floats on the sand and life is easy.I still don't like the heavy steering with the Baby bushwheel.My advice,get one if you need it otherwise save yourself dollars.
    Thanks little wing thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartb View Post
    My 180 was delivered with "oversized" 8.00x6 tires. I've never seen any Cessna document that includes 8.50s.

This STC applies to 180s and 185s. http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Gu...&Highlight=5a6
    Factory-equipped or not, I agree with Stewart.
    I clicked that link, it's for North Sound Aviation's 850 STC which was used on my airplane.
    FWIW North Sound Aviation (aka Jim Hayton) is notoriously hard to get in touch with.
    I've tried more than once to connect people with him to get that STC and the phone numbers/emails I have are never any good.
    I understand Kenmore Air Harbor also has an 850 STC for the Skywagons.
    I think it goes for $250, which is ridiculous, but that's aviation for you.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom,
    Jeepers, you're getting better "mileage" than my 180, and doing it faster. Nice!
    Where do you frequent for fly fishing?
    Johnny

Post Thanks / Like
    I go to Greenville as I drove my truck there for the season.
    The fly fishing has not been the best this year due to the early and heavy rain the area had.

Post Thanks / Like
    We have a camp about 1/2 mile from 3B1

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyR View Post
    Tom,
    Jeepers, you're getting better "mileage" than my 180, and doing it faster. Nice!
    Where do you frequent for fly fishing?
    Johnny
    Lots of salmon to catch here... easy fishing
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!