• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

McCauley brakes on a C-185

Tom3holer

Cape Cod
I am looking at a 185 to purchase and have asked a planeload of questions and have another one.

I see most brakes have been changed to Cleveland's. The plane I am looking at has the older McCauley brakes and I am wondering why most seem to upgrade to the Cleveland. Is it an issue with parts or something else?

Thanks,

Tom

Tom,

When we bought our 1976 180J it had a set of mismatched Cleveland wheels with the original McCauley brake calipers. The logs indicated that one of the McCauley wheels had developed cracks and both were replaced with Clevelands. After researching I found out there evidently was a history of the McCauley wheel failures and thus most have been replaced with Clevelands with the vast majority being changed out as a precaution from what I have gathered. Anyway with the STC'd wheel and brake pricing from Cleveland we went ahead and replaced the entire setup. By the way the McCauley calipers worked fine and were effective enough to pick the tail up if you wanted to.

Experience with the McCauley on C185 coming apart and locking wheel. The caliper basically exploded. Landing was on grass so it could have been worse. Upgrade to Cleveland before next flight. Was it a fluke or previous damage? I don't know.

Can't speak to any other experience.

Tom,
The 185 that you are looking at is of the vintage which had a bulletin to replace the wheel hubs on the McCauley wheels. Cessna supplied the parts for free. Though since "your" airplane immediately went on floats and was there for years there is no guarantee that you have the original landing gear. I think that I have one of those kits in my attic?

The normal swap is to a 199-62 Cleveland kit. Price them at Alaska Bush Wheels, and anywhere else you find them. They are all the same so price is the game. A couple of years ago I paid $1695.00 for them with ABW's.

The normal swap is to a 199-62 Cleveland kit. Price them at Alaska Bush Wheels, and anywhere else you find them. They are all the same so price is the game. A couple of years ago I paid $1695.00 for them with ABW's.

ABW 199-62A kit (6-bolt wheels): $1995
ABW 199-62 kit (3-bolt wheels): $1665

http://www.airframesalaska.com/PMA-Replacement-Cleveland-Wheels-and-Brakes-s/1513.htm

FWIW according to AA's website, the Cleveland wheels are magnesium where the ABW wheels are aluminum. Don't know the weight difference, but unless it was substantial I think I'd just as soon have aluminum.

Back