Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: J-4 project-3.14159265359

Post Thanks / Like
    Stringer standoffs.
    Where the stringer is distanced from the structure I am making up some pretty simple standoffs. I have both a first and second generation to show here. At first I formed this two piece part.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6014.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	220.6 KB 
ID:	49825 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6015.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	190.1 KB 
ID:	49826
    This is a weldment of a saddle on a pedestal. This has been in place a year or so.

Recently I have formed what to me are much simpler standoffs.

Name:	IMG_6016.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	219.4 KB 
ID:	49827 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6019.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	246.2 KB 
ID:	49828
    These are formed from some very light mild steel rectangle tube. I have had some of this tube in short lengths for a few decades. I have used it sparingly since I had no viable source for it.
    But now I have hundreds of feet of this tube available. For going on five years I have been President of an EAA chapter. Good workers are very hard to come by here. With the many events I host a year I came to realize not many people have a clue how to tie down a canopy. No you do not tie it mid way along a side. And no you do not peg down the bottom of the legs.
    So I have been buying two to three canopies a year. Now I know where this thin wall tube is sourced, it is a 10mm X 20MM by about a half mm wall tube. That works out to about 3/8 X 3/4- .020 wall. Now I have an endless supply of light structural support tubing.
    One trait I like about these standoffs is you can form them to mechanically grip the round tube. These will work fine for either Aluminum or composite stringer tubes. Once they are painted and the tube bonded in place there should be little chance of electrolysis.

One other tidbit, I will be running my wires to the tail within the conduit. Heck that is what it was made for.
    Regards, Charlie
    Super Coupe E-AB build in process
    Likes stknrddr liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Humm, been awhile since posting here, I have done a fair bit of work but the posting of such might appear repetitive, might as well put something up though.
    I have the front and lower port side D window mounting strips in place. These are made from stainless to reduce the chance of damage from water collection, might reduce how well the fabric adheres as well?
    I am using a CNC cut Masonite template to represent the Polycarbonate window. The D windows are curved as are the door windows so the forming of the windows and retainers are a bit more labor intensive. This will be worth it in the end.

Name:	IMG_6088.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	248.9 KB 
ID:	50129 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6089.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	233.8 KB 
ID:	50130

Name:	IMG_6090.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	266.5 KB 
ID:	50131 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6092.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	241.7 KB 
ID:	50132
    Regards, Charlie
    Likes stknrddr liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    whats happening charlie?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tempdoug View Post
    whats happening charlie?
    Sad to say my project has been sitting, still in the shop but the past few months I have been flat out on other things. Such as today or tomorrow weather permitting I will be pumping 4800 gallons of water from our pond back into my heating system after some restoration work to the transfer coils. It will be nice to get our heat system fired up again, would be kind of nice to have heat a few of the mornings recently.
    But then the sad thing is I need that shop space for a road vehicle project for a few months, as such the fuselage will be going down to the garage for awhile. Sad part is this vehicle has eaten into the wing material funds which might be an issue for the short term.
    Regards, Charlie

Post Thanks / Like
    whew i was worried i was missing something. can tell its fall, over here the highway construction cones are gradually disappearing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieN View Post
    Sad to say my project has been sitting, still in the shop but the past few months I have been flat out on other things. Such as today or tomorrow weather permitting I will be pumping 4800 gallons of water from our pond back into my heating system after some restoration work to the transfer coils. It will be nice to get our heat system fired up again, would be kind of nice to have heat a few of the mornings recently.
    But then the sad thing is I need that shop space for a road vehicle project for a few months, as such the fuselage will be going down to the garage for awhile. Sad part is this vehicle has eaten into the wing material funds which might be an issue for the short term.
    everything you just listed as sad seems to be a part in almost everyone's build, same thing happened to me I went from decent progress every week to not 1 hour of progress in my build log book from may 11 to sept 27, luckily I'm back at it now after a summer of also being flat out at other things. and I hope to see you back at it soon to charlie, your build has been an inspiration for me building my pa14 so you being ahead lets me copy some ideas haha.
    Likes RVBottomly liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by labrador_cub View Post
    everything you just listed as sad seems to be a part in almost everyone's build, same thing happened to me I went from decent progress every week to not 1 hour of progress in my build log book from may 11 to sept 27, luckily I'm back at it now after a summer of also being flat out at other things. and I hope to see you back at it soon to charlie, your build has been an inspiration for me building my pa14 so you being ahead lets me copy some ideas haha.
    Same here. Weird year for sure. I've been busier than ever despite to supposed slow-down.

I've learned a lot from CharlieN.
    Likes labrador_cub liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I at least have our heat system for the house ready. We ran the boiler for a few days and are shut down waiting for the cold. Yesterday we confirmed the French made temp sensors are quite inaccurate which explains why I have had two overheats of the system not to mention time needed to research what tie wraps to use in hot water. I sure hope these $110 a bundle ones will hold up.

I got a small bit of customer work done, dredged the well, our well is knee deep and over the past decade silt migrated in. New top cover is in process. Allot of needed work on road vehicles. Heck I am putting up a 30 foot tall pole with a windsock on it, Next week.

But I am in the middle of a driveline swap in a road vehicle. At this time I am 200 hrs into a 350+ hour wire harness. I hope in a week or so to start fitting the driveline into the chassis but I do have two or 3 months of work till it can be test driven. It will be nice to have a tow vehicle again. I have not gotten the fuselage out of the shop, I just might get something done before it goes into another building for storage.
    Then with these projects behind and nothing around here breaks and if there is not an unseen honey do list I can play with the plane again.
    Regards, Charlie

Post Thanks / Like
    As I am packing my bags days ahead of traveling to Oshkosh for a long week I truly wish I could have allot more done with my plane. Late last year I expected I would be starting the wings by now but another project that has turned out to be immense has dug into my time and resources. Best I can tell that one may just be a few months more work, granted it might take 4-5 months to achieve that goal.
    Regards, Charlie
    Thanks Southern Aero thanked for this post
    Likes Colorado-Cub liked this post