• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

J-4 project-3.14159265359

Had an interesting "moment" late yesterday. I made a bracket to hold the center rear of the floorboards to the main crosstube, the lift strut carry though. I had it jigged up and ready to tack weld in place. get the torch off the front of the welder where it hangs on a holder, pedal in place, helmet on and 1/32 filler rod in hand. Reach in to the centerline of the structure and gently squeeze on the pedal to start the arc, and bam, like a lighting strike. Good burn mark on the structure, no .040 tungsten in the torch and the cup exploded. WTF.
I start to analyze what was up,
Best I can tell, taking the coil of torch cable off the front of the welder spun the amperage control all the way up to 300 amp. Not the 50 to 60A I cap the welder at for most of this work. The start pulse must have been a good part of that 300 peak.
No measurable damage done, the tab is in place.

Since I am utilizing a fixed bench seat I am making the pedals adjustable, each side separately and the right side will easily be stowable in the forward position. This afternoons task was to get started on the threaded shafts and the support structure for the adjuster knobs. As of my end of day break I have the left side roughed out. I am happy with where I am at but it is time to sleep on it and review what I have done.
IMG_9728.JPG IMG_9732.JPG

IMG_9733.JPG IMG_9734.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9728.JPG
    IMG_9728.JPG
    205.9 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_9732.JPG
    IMG_9732.JPG
    199.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_9733.JPG
    IMG_9733.JPG
    213 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_9734.JPG
    IMG_9734.JPG
    255.7 KB · Views: 72
This is the first part of the bracket that will hold the adjuster knobs for the pedal height. I rill next work on the right side which I intend to make a quick release allowing the pedals to drop out from position. Not guaranteed I will build that though.
IMG_9736.JPG IMG_9738.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9736.JPG
    IMG_9736.JPG
    182.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_9738.JPG
    IMG_9738.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 50
I am roughing out the right side of the stand, tending to think I will not include the quick release feature, but time will tell. This structure will end up with a stay going forwards primarily to take the brake pedal loads since all pedal loads are fed back through these pedal height adjusters.
IMG_9741.JPG IMG_9743.JPG

IMG_9744.JPG IMG_9745.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9741.JPG
    IMG_9741.JPG
    179.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_9743.JPG
    IMG_9743.JPG
    162.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_9744.JPG
    IMG_9744.JPG
    157.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_9745.JPG
    IMG_9745.JPG
    182.2 KB · Views: 50
As the bracket for the pedal adjusters progresses I have the right side quick stow mechanism built, clearly I decided how I wanted to build it during my sleeping hours. And today I did so. Next task here will be the forward support for this structure.
What the pics show, pedals full aft, pull back slightly and lift the adjust shaft, let it slide free and the pedals lay down in the full forward position. In time once the brake pedals have been built there will be a travel limiter added in.
IMG_9746.JPG IMG_9747.JPG

IMG_9748.JPG IMG_9749.JPG

IMG_9750.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9746.JPG
    IMG_9746.JPG
    197.2 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_9747.JPG
    IMG_9747.JPG
    188.1 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_9748.JPG
    IMG_9748.JPG
    187.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_9749.JPG
    IMG_9749.JPG
    183.9 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_9750.JPG
    IMG_9750.JPG
    180.3 KB · Views: 55
Well...that just blows my mind. Very nice looking work.

My antique airplane has a fixed bench seat and fixed pedals. Pillows make for the adjustment. ;)

The seat and 6 point belt system I am using really will not allow for moving ones torso. The system is designed to support and retain a person through all phases of flight as well as if the flight does not end well. I have been building riding/driving and supporting race cars and bikes since I was a kid. In the early 2000s I made a mistake in car setup and went into rock ledge, initial impact on the drivers front was at 67MPH with 3 tumbles, initial end over then side rolls, came to rest on the Pax side. This was in a 1972 Dodge Colt. I had some bruised ribs that I attribute to the 5th strap not being snug enough due to me sharing my car with another driver who was to rent it for the Mount Washington hillclimb a few weeks out. Since then everything got a 6 or 7 point harness as this plane will.
As such the pedals need to move.
I yard drove the car 4 days later, when one looks at the pictures or saw the car after the crash no one would believe it.

Today I welded up a forward brace that will take the foot loads on the pedals and brakes, well it is supposed to but they need to go right up to where the adjuster shaft anchors so this tube will be changed out.
I also finish up the shots with a closeup of the quick release for the right pedals, this works slick.
IMG_9752.JPG IMG_9754.JPG

IMG_9755.JPG

IMG_9756.JPG IMG_9757.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9752.JPG
    IMG_9752.JPG
    167.4 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_9754.JPG
    IMG_9754.JPG
    162.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_9755.JPG
    IMG_9755.JPG
    182.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_9756.JPG
    IMG_9756.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_9757.JPG
    IMG_9757.JPG
    153.2 KB · Views: 57
I needed a 3/8 roundover router bit to build some tooling I need to form some half diameter tubing that will support the outer ends of the instrument panel. The cutting tool I arrived and I set it up in the milling machine and now I have the tooling I needed, guess I should have taken a few shots.
I sheared then formed a few U channels in .032 mild steel on my press, then setup the tool as a mandrel in my tube bender and formed these half round corner supports. These will have a composite overlay when done and might even be considered redundant parts in the end. But for now they are a useful tool.
IMG_9824.JPG IMG_9826.JPG

IMG_9827.JPG IMG_9828.JPG

IMG_9829.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9824.JPG
    IMG_9824.JPG
    215.5 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_9826.JPG
    IMG_9826.JPG
    220.7 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_9827.JPG
    IMG_9827.JPG
    150.4 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_9828.JPG
    IMG_9828.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_9829.JPG
    IMG_9829.JPG
    149.8 KB · Views: 65
Pedals are fully welded now, I have machined the bushings for the brakes. This is getting toe brakes be they right or wrong, but due to the fact the pedals are adjustable fore & aft by a substantial amount as well as the right set will fold into a stowed position I was just not finding a way to utilize the heel setup. Not to mention I have very little use of my right foot I doubt I can properly use heel brakes.
IMG_0241.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0241.JPG
    IMG_0241.JPG
    180 KB · Views: 58
All the pedals are reassembled and installed again. The Delrin bushings for the brake pedals are installed, did not need any second process work so that was sweet.
But today must not be the day for me to be making the pedals, lack of creativity has set in, maybe due to the shop being just 54 deg. Wish we had not shut down the wood boiler early this year.
I am almost in the mood to build hand brakes, so many fewer parts, not that I want the levers standing up near the seat.

Maybe better off building the flap torque arm and linkage from the flap handle.
If the snow had not come back I would be outside working on a boat.

They would be two vertical handles in easy reach, one would pull them back together but can also feather off on ones side as needed. I have done this i a plane in the past, more than one actually in that my Quicki has a single lever with cable actuated brakes, the cables ran forward at an angle such that you can lean sideways as pulling back and get differential braking.

I decided at this time to walk away from the pedals and start on more flap system parts.

I am going with toe brakes as I should, Clearly these are far from done.
IMG_0284.JPG IMG_0283.JPG

IMG_0280.JPG IMG_0281.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0284.JPG
    IMG_0284.JPG
    271.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0283.JPG
    IMG_0283.JPG
    273 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0280.JPG
    IMG_0280.JPG
    273.6 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0281.JPG
    IMG_0281.JPG
    231.7 KB · Views: 63
I am out here, doing well and busy as can be. Brought my fusalage over to one of my fly-ins back mid October. It was a great day.

YJnybTy.jpg

sEhC4L1.jpg

63mdfJk.jpg

I will have my plane on display this Sunday May 7th at my Spring Fling Flyin at KRUT, Rutland VT.
I now have a core engine hanging in place that I am building the oil sump, intake and EX.
Weather looks great, Grilles will be hot from 8am till 2pm. 3 chefs on with a 4th coming of for the lunch portion.

I will have my plane on display this Sunday May 7th at my Spring Fling Flyin at KRUT, Rutland VT.
I now have a core engine hanging in place that I am building the oil sump, intake and EX.
Weather looks great, Grilles will be hot from 8am till 2pm. 3 chefs on with a 4th coming of for the lunch portion.

I wish I were closer. Sounds like a fun time.

I wish I were closer. Sounds like a fun time.

We are being blessed for this event, weather looks sweet. I am doing outside now to start loading my plane to get it over there for tomorrow.
I am getting allot of feedback of interest for this.

I think I might change direction in the stream, I will possibly scrap this project.
Decision will be made in a month or two.

I think I might change direction in the stream, I will possibly scrap this project.
Decision will be made in a month or two.

Charlie,

I for one would really like to see this project get completed. Lots of out of the box ideas that have not been considered before. I think it would be a shame to scrap it at this point.

—Brian

Me too, but I am up against some odds that I do not think I can resolve.
The right side of me was injured about 20 years ago, I fell 12' slamming down very hard on my side. Being that my bones are unbreakable I live with massive ligament and tendon damage.
I did have one very good surgeon operate on my shoulder, he described bone spurs like sharks teeth. Technically an open case. That elbow and wrist are marginally usable.
Issue is my hip is bone on bone, knee has torn Medial Condrydal Ligament, my right foot is a bag of bones having been bent down about 90 deg back in the mid 70s, My Achilles tendon had been ruptured during my teens. Back then I could out run anyone 2-1 on my crutches. I was on them well over a year. Heck my crutches have retractable ice spikes.
When people see me standing now, I stand on my left leg only. Yes I wear a CTI brace, helps allot.
My neck was severely injured back in 6th grade and is not just getting worse.

This adds up that I do not think there is any way I can build the wings. There are people in my EAA chapter who say they are interested to help, but none of them have ever held any tools. I can not buy the material twice. And no longer think is is worth buying the first time.

I am building another boat, this one will be cool. I will just be comfortable running on lakes and river runs.

I will say a few days ago my wife and I went out for lunch in his Cessna U206, nice afternoon flying over the Adirondacks. We both would love to have my plane flying, I just do not see a way to achieve it.

That's rough, Charlie. But I feel for you. My project has been on hold a bit because of various infirmities, but I see myself starting up again as I have been improving. But your project had such innovation!

Do what you can. If you do decide to abandon, I hope you'll try to find someone who might follow through with your vision. BTW, nothing wrong with boat building....

It would be nice to see it finished, even nicer if I could finish and fly it.
Locally to me there is no one I am aware of willing or able, kind of hard to believe.
A few RVs get build, they are easy stuff, to me now harder that the models we grew up with, just more time consuming.
I have three planes in the yard, a few composite ones, Rutan style stuff. Nothing I would ever be in.
They are real smoky when they burn.

It would be nice to see it finished, even nicer if I could finish and fly it.
Locally to me there is no one I am aware of willing or able, kind of hard to believe.
A few RVs get build, they are easy stuff, to me now harder that the models we grew up with, just more time consuming.
I have three planes in the yard, a few composite ones, Rutan style stuff. Nothing I would ever be in.
They are real smoky when they burn.
It’s been a few months since we have heard anything from you Charlie. Hope you are doing well.

—Brian

It’s been a few months since we have heard anything from you Charlie. Hope you are doing well.

—Brian
Hi Brian, and all. I am in a rather frustrating position health wise. I have Long Covid, should not be an issue but in Vermont it is forbidden for a doctor to prescribe anything that will help or cure this. I tried asking to be medicated for Rheumatoid Arthritis since that calls for Ivermectin or Hydroxychloroquine no joy.
I am in constant pain, near brain dead, serious tinnitus. At best I sleep 3-4 Hrs a night.
My memory of technical stuff from the past is still good, I can do a fair bit of skilled work if it is something I have done for decades.
When my wife suggests a particular dinner for the night, it is like she never spoke.

So I question what my future will be, I am turning 69 in a month and doubt I will still be functional when I turn 70 in a year.

As to my build, I cry when I look at it. It is beautiful. Each time I display it at a flyin, people look at the swooping curves of the longerons, the quality of the welds and overall work, But now I cry.
With the increased material costs and two major material suppliers folding I doubt I can afford to buy the material for the wings or to cover it.
Yes even tough old men can cry, and I am now.

charlie, im thinkin about ya, and when someone is doing that, i know it helps in a good way. just appreciate the way you go at things.
It does help, Not sure it is and oddity in my body or mind but I feel Auras, energy. Both positives and negative.
Thank you.

Hang in there Charlie and get well. I'll be hoping to see more of what's going on with your project and other exploits.

Jerry

Back