• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Spinner for a Aeromatic Propeller

TEVogt

FRIEND
Wisconsin
Do any of you fellow flyers know a model number or have experience with spinner setup for a PA12 with a 0235C1 and aeromatic F200 propeller. I've talked with Kent but I'm having some difficulties matching his specs with Hartzell tech.

I could use some insight!

Tom

Hi Tom,
I have a Aeromatic prop also, I need a spinner for mine. If you find one can you send me a email i need ASAP.

Thanks Sam
530-624-0072

Hi Sam,
I'll let you know what I come up with. I'd like to talk to you about the aromatic when you have a moment.

Hi Sam,
I'll let you know what I come up with. I'd like to talk to you about the aromatic when you have a moment.
I have heard that Univair made some when they had the TC. I think a guy would have to be persistent to get them to look for one. Could you guys with Aeromatic props post performance data ?

I think I'd look for a metal spinner and have them make one to Tarver's specs.
John
That is the best solution. I know that Kent Tarver was looking for a source himself a few years ago. When installing a spinner on the Aeromatic it is necessary to replace the p/n 2879 synchronizer cover plate with one which has an extended post in the center to hold the center of the spinner. Sort of like the skull cap on Cub round air filters.

There is a company in Utah? which makes carbon spinners of various sizes and shapes.

I found a spinner that might work. My understanding is that the aeromatic has a 8 x 8 cylinder space that the spinner would have to cover. ACS makes a spinner called BN–1 bullet nose spinner. The kit includes 8 inch diameter by 12 inches long spinner dome. It does have two aluminum bulkheads, so that could be an issue. But it is certified for pa12 and other Pipers. I left a message with Tarver to see what the options are. ACS also makes other spinners but they would need field approvals, which the company said that wouldn't be a problem since they're all made the same.

I think that you will need a different model or a variation of this one. You need 8" where this spinner only has 3.625". With a little imagination you could modify the front bulkhead to provide clearance for the counter weights and attachment to the p/n 2879 synchronizer cover plate. Perhaps ACS can easily make a 4.375" plug for the tooling to build you what you need. Then you will be in business.

http://acsproducts.co/?page_id=284 bn1-300x229.gif
You're on the right track.

Attachments

• bn1-300x229.gif
    bn1-300x229.gif
    10.7 KB · Views: 1,062
Yeah I see what you're saying. Yesterday I called aircraft Spruce and they pulled a BN-1 bullet nose spinner from inventory, and measured from the base to where it started to taper and that was approximately 6.25 inches. I see that ACS has a number for custom manufacturing, maybe they still could do a minor modification without majorly changing the FAA approval or increasing cost out of sight.

Well I'm happy to say I was able to hang a spinner on my Aeromatic prop last weekend. It took some research and scrounging but what I did was to buy a good used S-1B swift spinner and a new unfinished back plate from Univar. It all fit together well and after 1 flight seems to be true. Spinner.JPG

Attachments

• Spinner.JPG
    Spinner.JPG
    924.5 KB · Views: 318
One other thing I need to find out.... Does any one happen to know or know where I could find the component part numbers or drawings to the S-1B spinner assembly. There are 3 main parts 1) the front (mushroom looking) bulk head 2)back mounting plate 3)spinner 4)fasteners. I would like the component numbers and procedure for a log book entry.

Thanks,

Tom

So far I haven't been able to locate the part numbers, but I don't give up easily. I do have the Swift Museum and other leads through them looking for me too. To bad Univair wasn't been able to give me the numbers,especially since they used to manufacture the parts. Does anyone have a Univair catalog they have been holding on to for 20 or more years? Maybe I'll try them again if all I find are dead ends.

I'm sure the answers are out there somewhere, I just need to turn over the right rock!

Thanks for the information...... that's certainly helpful about the prop, but is there any further information about the spinners that were designed for the aeromatic?

Thanks for the information...... that's certainly helpful about the prop, but is there any further information about the spinners that were designed for the aeromatic?

That was from a 91 Univair catalog. I looked but that was it

Glenn

Well I'm happy to say I was able to hang a spinner on my Aeromatic prop last weekend. It took some research and scrounging but what I did was to buy a good used S-1B swift spinner and a new unfinished back plate from Univar. It all fit together well and after 1 flight seems to be true. View attachment 30395
Looks good! How's it fly?

Thanks for checking Glen! Could you check to see if there are any references to the spinner they made for Swifts...S-1B Spinner Assembly.

Previously I had a MCCAULEY 1C90LM7246 prop that is/was a good all around puller, but after buying skis and getting into more off airport fun I had the need for more Getty up. Top end improved about 5%, but the major difference is turning 700 more RPM when you first push in full throttle. Static run up RPM went from 2100 to 2800(about). So for a 0235c1 that's a gain of 50 ponies. I'm guessing the paddles aren't quite as efficient as today's blades but there is a real noticeable difference with how I can plow through snow/mud and get her into the air. I haven't actually put a ruler to it because of all the variable conditions but flying off a private grass strip in Wisconsin provides you with a lot of different looks. Another advantage I have is taking off at 1,000 ft MSL or less-the Aeromatics get a little more complicated if they are being operated at high and low altitudes in the same flight. The bottom line is that it is preforming like I needed it to do.

I keeping thinking ..... OK I'm now set, but that never seems to happen! Kinda makes you wonder there it will all end!

Pardon my ignorance, but are they still producing the Aeromatic Propeller. I have a PA 12 and just moved to Idaho and think that it would be perfect for my situation.

Chris

The Tarvers (father & son) are rebuilding hubs and manufacturing props, but at this time only for the experimental market. Apparently they got into a disagreement with the FAA, and neither group is giving in.

So I guess time will only answer that question.

Back