• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Need an expert on wood wings

Speedo

FOUNDER
TN
Can anyone refer me to an expert on wood wings? I need to know how to assess their condition.

Burle (sp) the Aeronca Sedan guy in Anchorage area should be really good, as they are a wood spar. Or are you talking Mooney with all wood?

Wow, my neighbor had an old one and did the big AD on it.

How about you Mike? Done much Champ/Citabria wing work?
I've looked at several Sedans with the idea of perhaps buying them and found all of them to have corroded aluminum spars. Why would a metal covered wing have wood spars?

A great point!

Now that I think a bit more about it the AD was similar to the Champ one that he had to inspect the spar, but it was for corrosion.

I am reaching that age:roll:

Thank you for the correction!

If you're just wanting to talk to someone, there's a shop in Santa Maria CA that specializes in Bellanca Airplanes. I don't know the name, but should be easy enough to find.

You guys aren't even close.

Come on Eric,…tell them what you've got !! Maybe some photos. It's really a neat plane.

Jim W
(temporarily in Indiana)

Not close guys.....keep guessing.

And Eric, Arlin has an overhauled carb for that engine as well. Yellow tagged in 1990?? But still in the bag and looks new, never run since OH. Says make him an offer.

MTV

OK Jim W and MTV, now you have made a contest about this! :p How about some clues? Do the wood wings have fabric over ribs or plywood which is covered with fabric? Are the wings two separate panels or is it a long one piece wing? High wing or low wing airplane? Biplane or monoplane? Lockheed Vega, Cabin Waco, Bellanca Pacemaker or Travelair 6000 ?

Not a Reliant, although that would be a very cool, albeit impractical, plane to own.

Why impractical? They fly great, stable, take off and land short, sound super cool, and have roll up windows!

I miss mine every day...

Bellanca? or Jenny?

:lol: Walt O'Conner operated the F24s on floats for years at his seaplane base in Agawam Mass from the 1940s through the early 1970s. He loved that airplane. It was always a treat to visit with him while looking at his collection of F24s, Taylorcraft BC12Ds, 15, 20s and misc floats. Parts were scattered everywhere in and out of trailers. One always learned something when rubbing shoulders with the old timers. And no I don't know what happened to the collection after he went west. The sea base is closed.
This is where it was: https://bit.ly/21m9LGC Looks like someone is living there now.

There was a Fairchild with floats for sale here in Mn that I was quite interested in. Brad might chime in with info or photos of it.
Unfortunately I had to talk myself out of pursuing it. I really like the look of these old planes, and appreciate the guys that maintain and fly these old birds. I realize I have way too many projects already to take on another one. These old planes (cars, motorcycles, etc.) seem to require several hours of maintenance for every hour of flight.

A friend has a Cessna C-37 that is for sale and I think it is in the same category of plane I would love to own and fly. Not a short field airplane but the specs for them seem quite efficient with the same Warner-Scarab engine as the Farichild.

Back