• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Rotec TBI? Any first hand experience?

Some...

We ordered one for our 912 Rotax. It requires quite a bit of modification as our intent is to eliminate the dual carb setup with a single throttle body. We got the one that's made for the O320. People have had good success with this modification. Ours is at the engine shop in Mississippi getting wrung- out there on the test cell as we aren't flying over the Kansas plains here in SE AK.

The unit is very well made. The shipping was prompt and communication was good.

This is a long-term project, hopefully a complete report is not too far away.

I just visited GST today Justin.

What you mean it is not Kansas plains? I could see flats in every direction and that was all!

maybe why we filed IFR that trip?

It would be interesting to know what the results of this testing is. Trustworthy over Kansas plains and trustworthy flying around here is a bit of a different cat.

It goes against my better judgement to fool with the manufacturer's tried-and-true fuel delivery system. In this case however, we may end up with a better, read simpler, mousetrap. Or an expensive paper weight.

George, you flying for Harris these days?

Someone has to lead the charge Justin!:wink:

Yes, flying floats. Today I was the JAFO in the twin since winds kept the floats on the ground.

Some...

We ordered one for our 912 Rotax. It requires quite a bit of modification as our intent is to eliminate the dual carb setup with a single throttle body. We got the one that's made for the O320. People have had good success with this modification. Ours is at the engine shop in Mississippi getting wrung- out there on the test cell as we aren't flying over the Kansas plains here in SE AK.

The unit is very well made. The shipping was prompt and communication was good.

This is a long-term project, hopefully a complete report is not too far away.

gbflyer,

I for one am VERY interested in this mod. As you know I have had a persistent and on going roughness with my 912. Having one less thing to set/tinker with would be a very nice modification to these engines. Please keep us updated.

You bet. Ronnie has played around with a high pressure injection system that works quite well. The simplicity of this unit and the fact that it doesn't rely on high pressure like the 912 iS is intriguing. Lose battery and you're walking with that one.

Right now he's working on a clean sheet design big bore cylinder program. Our FI project is on the back burner, which is fine.

Have approx 250 hrs on a Rotec TBI on a exp. 18-95

Pros
Very smooth. can idle at 500rpm all day if you like
Not sensitive to fuel pressure (full tank or high body angle with almost no gas)
Fine power and fuel efficient.

Cons
Needs a special prime lever unless you open the cowl and prime manually if engine is cold

Any updates from users ? I saw these at Sun n Fun and have a Rotax 914. Looks interesting. The owner of Rotec said no issues using it in a blow thru (turbo) configuration.

Back