• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

AzDave pictures of flying in Tazmania

Ive got pics of the vicious, and secretive Texas Tasmanian Tiger (methacine) . Resides in the ugliest places in the US,,, very inaccessible, except maybe by a very experienced pilot. Ive been there and have pics if I can find them.

Ive got pics of the vicious, and secretive Texas Tasmanian Tiger (methacine) . Resides in the ugliest places in the US,,, very inaccessible, except maybe by a very experienced pilot. Ive been there and have pics if I can find them.

Did Timmy fly you in?

Glenn

Mrs. Eaton in her garden?

Lol. Ur up sh$t creek if I tell her. Send me 10# king crabs and I'll keep my mouth shut.

Sorry man, boxes only come in 25#!

If I had your address I could send some, but you would need to share with local Crowes and Hired Guns.

The Hunter: youtube.com/watch?v=qmBJefhcbR4

A really good film, which you can rent/download from Netflix, iTunes, etc. Dafoe is a fine actor but the entire cast was outstanding. The scene above is partly a spoiler, but the film is much more than that.

Here's a pic I took over "Tiger Country" in western Tasmania. Lot of rough country but also some remote plains farther west. Much of this country never sees human intrusion.

Attachments

• TasmaniaAerial.jpg
    TasmaniaAerial.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 276
View of Hobart, Tasmania's capital. South of this, next stop is Antartica.

Attachments

• Hobart3.jpg
    Hobart3.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 222
Another view of Hobart...just click on any of these to expand the thumbnails.

Attachments

• Hobart2JPG.jpg
    Hobart2JPG.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 249
Beginning my float plane training in Tassie (aka Tasmania). Eugene Reid chief instructor, 22,000 hrs. Small plane is "Lightning, made in Australia.

Attachments

• DavidAlford4.jpg
    DavidAlford4.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 319
Flew in to a remote and abandoned mining airstrip hardly anyone knows about but in the middle of Tiger country.

Attachments

• DavidAlford6.jpg
    DavidAlford6.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 278
Camp. Other than occasional flocks of parrots, the silence was so intense it almost hurt the ears.

Attachments

• DavidAlford7.jpg
    DavidAlford7.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 228
Tiger country near camp. But much more remote areas of Tasmania exist far from any air strips, where no man has been. It is here where the Tasmanian Tiger may still be and indeed even thrive.

I'll try to find some more aerials tomorrow.

Attachments

• DavidAlford8.jpg
    DavidAlford8.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 241
Dave heres why ive taken an interest in your tiger.https://robertlindsay.wordpress.com/2016/04/28/wolverine-killed-in-north-dakota/ About 10 years ago i was going to spray a field in early morning. Looked ahead and i thought what the heck is that, looked like a baby black bear cub running in the field up ahead so i went a little faster and it wanted to cross the road in front of me and i got it where it was about 50ft in front of the tractor. Wolverine. I just watched and away it went down a fencline and over the hill. Heres the catch, if you tell the game and fish they laugh at you, they think your on some of that Oklahoma weed. So all and all unless you shoot the thing no ones going to believe you anyway, thats the only way theres a confirmed sighting. So taking your pictures unless its for yourself, which is a GREAT incentive, people will just go, ya right. And if there is a reward, like Turner had, people will be pissed because, like him he put a price on its head, and nobody wants them gone, like in the movie clip, my guess is he got a lot of grief for that. And with electronic stuff whos going to believe a video or picture. Live trap would be the only way but that could take 10 lifetimes to find that needle in the haystack. My thinking is you probably have one out there but, Good Luck.

Last edited:
Followed one of your links on another thread, "tiger" is misleading.
Other than stripes, has more of a doggish look although a marsupial.
For those who didn't follow up, think about a cross between a kangaroo and a coyote.

It's also been called the Tasmanian hyena, Tasmanian Wolf, and others, but for a hundred years Tasmanian Tiger and Thylacine are the two that have stuck. Thylacine is a bit more technical/accurate. Yes, it is a marsupial and it preys upon other marsupials. Some of the animals were fairly large, I think one was recorded that was about ten feet from nose to tail end, although of course the tail was pretty long. If you go to the movie link preview I gave above, there is rare actual footage.

Tempdoug, c'mon man anyone can make up a b.s. story like that, we weren't born yesterday!

Just kidding...you're quite right the government gives little credibility after all this time. It is also correct Ted Turner may have pulled his reward offer fearing the result would be a dead Thylacine and then he would be villainized. However, I disagree a dead Thylacine is necessary for proof. A good photograph and esp. a good video would be sufficient. There have been a couple of fake photos over the years, but they didn't fool many. In the case of a single photo, it also depends frankly in part on the reputation of the photographer. None of the scammers in the past were forthright, willing to meet with experts, offer to take a lie detector test, etc. But a good clear video - that would certainly do it as long as it was made available for expert analysis.

While the government officially lists the Thylacine as extinct, I believe anyone who would watch and listen to my video interviews of people who have seen the Thylacine would be convinced that the persons did indeed see a Thylacine. Some of these sightings are extremely strong such as two people familiar with Tasmanian wildlife observing two Thylacines at close range for a period of several minutes. This one and most of the others were never reported to authorities and I only found out about them by chance or maybe some perseverance in following up on leads. These people weren't looking for any publicity at all.

The most recent sighting was last year by a minister who did not want to be recorded on video and insisted his name be held in confidence. I visited the sighting location and really it wasn't anything special, just thick bush in a rural farm/broken woodland area. Apparently, he was in the right place at the right time. About this time a farmer less than a mile away had found a strange kill of one of his sheep. The animal had been opened up and only the lungs and heart eaten plus the nasa structure. The Thylacine was known to have vampirish tastes...

About helicopter use, the main problem is for a big search over several months or several years you are talking mega bucks. I know of two uses of helicopters to get into remote areas and set up cameras, but IMO the tiger hunters weren't experts and only stayed a short while. I've logged about 200 hrs. flying over Tasmania which is a lot. Eight years of flying. But the planes were not STOL and the effort was basically to reconnoitre Tasmania. It is a difficult situation for many reasons. But I have a solid plan and I believe a real chance.

I've had one documentary company from England that wanted me to participate in their project, but I'm not interested in being an actor. I'm interested in actually finding the Thylacine. Animal Planet was down in Tasmania recently making another documentary and that should be out fair soon as in a few weeks. Hopefully, it's better than their Big Foot TV stuff. I know they did interview a few people I know who had credible sightings and I give them some credit for finding those witnesses.

The Tasmanian Tiger/Thylacine has pretty lofty status in Australia as well as Tasmania. It's on license plates, the State Seal, you have many businesses named after the animal, used on beer logos, football teams and even oil reservoirs in the ocean are named after it and numerous business. Pretty much equivalent to the Bald Eagle for Americans. Except it went extinct. Or didn't...

Thylacine bronze statue in Launceston, Tasmania. Unfortunately, the artist was unable to duplicate the stripes and I'm afraid it looks just like a bunch of dogs, instead of the most unusual animal it really is/was.

I was delighted to find someone had even painted Tiger tracks on a sidewalk not far away...I followed them into an enclave between two buildings. There, another artist had taken the time to recreate a Tasmanian landscape replete with a Tiger lurking. I should have taken a picture of that, but it is just another example of the Thylacine haunting the Tasmanian psyche and frequently a symbol of lost paradise...and the every diminishing native habitats even in this beautiful State.

Attachments

• DavidAlford11.jpg
    DavidAlford11.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 212
Thruster ultralight...made in Australia & it was often said if you can fly a Thruster you can fly any tail dragger. Limited range, used the Rotax 582 two stroke. Not my preferred choice for flying over remote Tasmania. However, it was OK for poking around close to the home field and building up tail dragger hours.

More aerial pics coming...

Attachments

• DavidAlford10.jpg
    DavidAlford10.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 222
Good on you Azdave. Nice pics. And everyone has there Igikpak(mountain in Alaska that kicked my piss poor piloting for almost 20 years).

And I apologize for the smarties that called you out. You win.

Mike

I wrote "The Tasmanian Tiger/Thylacine has pretty lofty status in Australia as well as Tasmania." I meant to say across Australia as Tasmania is a state of Australia. Originally, the species distribution was from Papua New Guinea (where there are still sightings) throughout much of mainland Australia and down to Tasmania. The mainland population is presumed to have gone extinct approx. 2000 yrs. ago.

But maybe not. There literally hundreds of sightings in mainland Australia esp. in the SouthWest and SouthEast. I have interviewed on camera an elderly couple who had a very strong sighting in Western Australia back in the mid 70s. IMO, very little chance they are lying. That's decades ago, but if true the Thylacine was able to hang on in certain areas. There have been sightings in recent years, but so far no photos or other proof.

I know some here were sure I way lying about all of this, but I've always told the truth. No worries. Skepticism is pretty normal.

Fly long enough and you'll get your arse kicked by weather, mechanical, or your own mistakes. Here's the result of a prop strike after I tried to save a bounce landing. Fortunately, the engine was ok and the prop wasn't too expensive. A great lesson, I'm actually glad it happened because now I don't think it will EVER happen again esp. in a remote area where it could be more serious or a really major hassle...

Attachments

• DavidAlford12b.jpg
    DavidAlford12b.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 223
Thruster ultralight...made in Australia & it was often said if you can fly a Thruster you can fly any tail dragger. Limited range, used the Rotax 582 two stroke. Not my preferred choice for flying over remote Tasmania. However, it was OK for poking around close to the home field and building up tail dragger hours.

More aerial pics coming...

These are great pictures Dave, I like the look of this machine, (for very light winds) because the prop is high enough to prevent strikes.

Does Tazmania get any/much snow so you could track these animals after a snow? Seems for arial spotting it is much better to look for tracks and go from there.

Loving the pictures!!!

Back