• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Metal cub bow.

califlyboi

Anchorage, AK
Has anyone worked with a metal bow on cub wing? It would appear the J4 I'm flying has a metal bow? Seems rare.

seen it... bad idea... wood bow is a "consumable" part..... metal one might allow same boo boo to bend? spar...

39 J4A. Definitely some different stuff on wing going on. Looks like the metal bow is just attached to spar and no other braces. Might eventually replace if I can find a bow.

I saw they have a selection, I've read that J4 wing may be different? I can't imagine it could be that different (hell, it's a piece of galvanized pipe in there now...)

Conduit. Replace it with ash - see Mike's post. Some folks think that metal is better - it is if you drill holes in the ash and allow water to get in there. We are always banging wingtips on hangar doors - ash just shrugs.

(hell, it's a piece of galvanized pipe in there now...)
At some point in time someone has replaced the original wing bow with a non-aircraft part. Wood is more durable than metal in this application and should not be difficult to make if you can't find a replacement part.

Clyde Smith is a source for wooden wingtip bows. He does really nice work. I seem to have misplaced his contact info, but surely someone on the site has it.

On a different note, the emerald ash borer is wiping out all the ash trees in America. I'm sure there is still plenty of milled ash available for making wingtip bows, but eventually it's going to be hard to source.

If I remember correctly (I could be wrong) Cub Crafters had an STC metal bow for the wing. I have seen them made out of conduit.
DENNY

Univair sells the tip bows. They are made by the Amish. Problem is they get shipped via a round tube and they straighten out. I use to put them in a jig to reshape but ended up buying the bows from the Amish as well. You have to buy 50-100. They are a pain to package in their correct shaped and expensive.

It seems to me that it would be relatively simple to make a tip bow by laminating a half a dozen strips of 1/8" +/- wood over a simple form. Anyone can mix glue and clamp or tie the strips together. Then just shape with a plane, belt sander, jack knife, whatever.

$34.72 from Univair plus shipping. 6 plus inches wide strips of 1/8" glued together to shape in the same amount of time as 1" strips. Cut off on table saw one bow at a time. Presto $210 worth of bows. These could be made rather cheaply even when you consider the cost of your time. I do understand your point Steve. What is the total cost of shipping?

It seems to me that it would be relatively simple to make a tip bow by laminating a half a dozen strips of 1/8" +/- wood over a simple form. Anyone can mix glue and clamp or tie the strips together. Then just shape with a plane, belt sander, jack knife, whatever.

This is what my former A&I (Mr. John Hatz of Hatz bi-plane fame) said should be done. He recommended fir strips over a plywood form with old inner tube strips to hold in place. Works great--strong and will not warp with age as Ash tips do. John was a talented, highly respected rag wing man. Really does not take a lot of time and I believe is well worth it. However MY time is not real valuable:-? Yes, I HAVE seen many older ash tips with UGLY warpage.

After Piper started using 4 channel braces between the front and rear spars and the tip bow I have not seen much warpage other than the flat spots between all the support points in very old nitrate/butyrate dope covered wings. Have seen some very nice laminated tip bows. Too easy for me to grab one out of the rack, varnish and install. ;)

Back