• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

New Model by Zlin Aviation: SHOCK CUB

Go to ebay and type in cub in a search and 1960s Honda moterscooters will magical appear

Glenn

About a million years ago I took a business law class and this subject was discussed. The general interpretation of the law was that in order for there to be an actionable infringement, there must be a viable threat to the copyright owner. If I made a toothbrush and called it an F-150, Ford would probably have no recourse.

-- All that having been said, I realize there are other directly competitive aircraft being called "Cub". The only thing I can think of is that they are ameteur built kits and not commercially manufactured aircraft. Just thinking out loud here, I'm about the furthest thing from a lawyer you'll ever see.

Last edited:
What I've noticed over the years: round off the tail feathers and the wing tips, put CUB somewhere in the name, and ANY new design drives you guys crazy! This is not meant as criticism at all, but you fall for it every time, and it quickly reverts to "yeah but it isn't a real CUB", no kidding! I've always been proud of RANS for NOT jumping on the CUB bandwagon, (while at the same time thinking they are missing a marketing opportunity), for not whoring themselves out by hoping to link their birds to the real deal. Any new design with CUB somewhere in the descriptive, automatically makes me cringe, and my hype radar maxes out. It's like if Honda came out with a new street ride called "BADASSHARLEY". Trying just a little too hard to be like the cool guys leaves a bad smell with me.

CUB is more of subcategory of planes by now, so it doesn't bother me; just my opinion. The most important thing is the performance and of course not everyone has the same opinion as to what constitutes the best performance. I don't need to haul 50 gal drums or a moose, I'm interested in ultimate STOL as well as a few other things like ruggedness, reliability, workmanship, and of course safety.

A plane that flies this slow, lands in 15 M, has a wing that is spin resistant, a high climb rate, won't flip when you hit the brakes, etc. etc. --- all of these are very appealing safety factors as well as desirable features in themselves.

Note in this bush flying video at 8:11 how the plane almost flips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3n7i5Hrw6k

True, in part it was not the best skilled landing, but I think the OUTBACK SHOCK/SHOCK CUB would have handled it much better and even good pilots don't always make perfect landings. Damaging your plane or even flipping it would be expensive and a real disaster esp. in a remote area.

CUB is more of subcategory of planes by now, so it doesn't bother me; just my opinion. The most important thing is the performance and of course not everyone has the same opinion as to what constitutes the best performance. I don't need to haul 50 gal drums or a moose, I'm interested in ultimate STOL as well as a few other things like ruggedness, reliability, workmanship, and of course safety.

A plane that flies this slow, lands in 15 M, has a wing that is spin resistant, a high climb rate, won't flip when you hit the brakes, etc. etc. --- all of these are very appealing safety factors as well as desirable features in themselves.

Note in this bush flying video at 8:11 how the plane almost flips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3n7i5Hrw6k

True, in part it was not the best skilled landing, but I think the OUTBACK SHOCK/SHOCK CUB would have handled it much better and even good pilots don't always make perfect landings. Damaging your plane or even flipping it would be expensive and a real disaster esp. in a remote area.

Or get a drone and stay really safe watching where you flew from your living room. Some of the danger of maybe hurting yourself if I screw up is what make it interesting everytime I fly.

Glenn

Dave,

You have a plane yet? Or did you order one of these Shock Cubs? Offer still stands for you to join in on a hunting adventure up here with one of the Zlin products.

That landing you are speaking about- does not matter what plane is, if you land short/long on the wrong strip bad things happen. The placement of the touchdown was the issue on that one.

Or get a drone and stay really safe watching where you flew from your living room. Some of the danger of maybe hurting yourself if I screw up is what make it interesting everytime I fly.

Glenn

The flying I'm doing is often half way around the world from my living room, trust me (although I do fly ultralights a bit closer). I like a safety features such as STOL and a high climb rate, but if you don't that's entirely your choice. But obviously many here do, hence all the interest in cub modifications to try to achieve exactly those qualities.

Dave,

You have a plane yet? Or did you order one of these Shock Cubs? Offer still stands for you to join in on a hunting adventure up here with one of the Zlin products.

That landing you are speaking about- does not matter what plane is, if you land short/long on the wrong strip bad things happen. The placement of the touchdown was the issue on that one.

Yes, I have an ultralight in Arizona, but I do a lot of flying in Tasmania and the conditions are arguably as tough as Alaska. It's the Roaring 40's and I'm trying to get into places that have never seen a human much less a plane.

As far as that landing I believe the Shock Outback/Cub would have easily dampened the bounce and from with it's forward gear designed not to tip, the near tip over shown in the clip would never have occurred. I acknowledge it was a bad landing, but who hasn't made a bad landing due to error or other factors such as downdraft? In the case of the video, help was all around, but imagine tipping over hundreds of miles in a remote area. No plane can be entirely fool proof, but that's not what I'm talking about. Stuff happens even to the best pilots.

As far as the invite, thanks. I'd love to the pilot flying the Shock Outback at Valdez. I've been to Alaska before and have flown in SuperCubs up there already.

I'm also an expert hunter since I was a kid, which is why I'm looking for the supposed extinct Tasmanian Tiger (aka Thylacine) albeit with camera. And I think I have a chance, but these expeditions are not cheap nor for the faint hearted if you knew what the conditions are. It's like a lost world down here at least on the entire western side of Tasmania.

Oops I meant to say I'd love to be the pilot or one of the pilots competing at Valdez. I'm a very competitive person but I like to have advantages or let's say the best solution. LOL. I also believe in training, the more the better.

Skill usually avoids dangers like tipping over and "moose stalls", but even the skilled pilots can get in trouble and be killed. Being able to land with major braking and not tipping is a benefit and so is a near spin resistant wing.

I'm also an expert hunter since I was a kid, which is why I'm looking for the supposed extinct Tasmanian Tiger (aka Thylacine) albeit with camera. And I think I have a chance, but these expeditions are not cheap nor for the faint hearted if you knew what the conditions are. It's like a lost world down here at least on the entire western side of Tasmania.
I'm leery of self described experts, however, it's usually amusing to read your posts.
As you know there are 3 classes of people, those who watch things happen, those who make things happen, and, those who wonder what happened. I'll admit to being all three sometimes but mostly we're one of those people most of the time.
Thing is, the Internet can make the class of person much more obscure from the reader. Unlike your next door neighbour who you've known for a bit.
Roddy

I'm leery of self described experts, however, it's usually amusing to read your posts.
As you know there are 3 classes of people, those who watch things happen, those who make things happen, and, those who wonder what happened. I'll admit to being all three sometimes but mostly we're one of those people most of the time.
Thing is, the Internet can make the class of person much more obscure from the reader. Unlike your next door neighbour who you've known for a bit.
Roddy

We're going far afield, but the Tasmanian project is a conservation project involving difficult conditions requiring more than most planes are capable of as far as slow flight and extreme STOL. However, there is certainly a lot of interest in these qualities by many others around the world so I predict good sales for Zlin and in fact I've heard they are quickly expanding their factory.

I really didn't want to take over this thread, so apologies. It's really about the SHOCK CUB/SHOCK OUTBACK, not me. OSHKOSH is coming up and hopefully more will be known then and maybe Bill can inform us when the bigger engine performance in this plane will be available. The hp: wt ratio should be interesting as I believe weight is less than a Carbon Cub. Might be very impressive with floats.

I have no experience with the Shock Cub but if you get the tail that high (as in the video at 8:11) with any airplane and you are not a skilled pilot (know your airplane like you wear it) you are probably just as likely to go over as not especially since it was obvious this guy was out of talent at that point. I am guessing the tail in the shock cub is light if it has the basic characteristics of a cub, forward gear will help with that until you pass the point of no return and then it is either going to be a quick stab of power and release the brakes or see the dirt.

AZ Dave, your posts are interesting for a very short time.... Then they just get weird.

Just my 2 cents I think Savage Cub should be cheered for bringing this plane to market. Remember normal category aircraft are not legal to land off/airport in Europe as I understand things, only UL and LSA are legal. So what if others have gone before with these ideas. While were on the subject of Cub crafters, why haven't they or American legend done this with a cub type aircraft.

I have no experience with the Shock Cub but if you get the tail that high (as in the video at 8:11) with any airplane and you are not a skilled pilot (know your airplane like you wear it) you are probably just as likely to go over as not especially since it was obvious this guy was out of talent at that point. I am guessing the tail in the shock cub is light if it has the basic characteristics of a cub, forward gear will help with that until you pass the point of no return and then it is either going to be a quick stab of power and release the brakes or see the dirt.

I haven't flown the Shock Cub but I think the landing gear would have greatly absorbed the bounce and subsequent gyrations. Note he almost tipped the plane several times esp. at the end when he really didn't have that much remaining momentum. I wouldn't say he ran out of talent per se because even talented pilots, known experts, have flipped their planes. We all have made bad landings and having a margin of safety is cool, IMO. I guess some people will criticise it but that to me is what's weird.

Dave,

How about some pictures of this Tazmanian adventure? How about pictures of some of the flying there?

Dave,

How about some pictures of this Tazmanian adventure? How about pictures of some of the flying there?

I feel I've hijacked the thread enough, maybe later. I'll just say western Tasmania is a mysterious place, and the Tasmanian Tiger (thylacine) was a mysterious animal that may still exist. It will take a special plane to get into those areas, places no man has ever been.

Back to the Shock Cub/Shock Outback, I suspect a lot more videos and specs. will be forthcoming after Oshkosh. The plane was just revealed at AERO Friedrichshafen a few weeks ago. Zlin Aero's website and Bill Camino's site at SportAir Aero as well as You Tube will be the places to check.

Safe flying to all.

I feel I've hijacked the thread enough, maybe later. I'll just say western Tasmania is a mysterious place, and the Tasmanian Tiger (thylacine) was a mysterious animal that may still exist. It will take a special plane to get into those areas, places no man has ever been.

Back to the Shock Cub/Shock Outback, I suspect a lot more videos and specs. will be forthcoming after Oshkosh. The plane was just revealed at AERO Friedrichshafen a few weeks ago. Zlin Aero's website and Bill Camino's site at SportAir Aero as well as You Tube will be the places to check.

Safe flying to all.

Good grief.........

OK I will curtail my enthusiasm even though I think interest and enthusiasm is almost a life force and no matter what the subject, almost everything is so darn interesting to me. On this subject, man has wanted to fly like this for a long time so yeah I think it's a big deal. Others, have been close, but it's just getting better and better.

I think it was Hunter S. Thompson who said, "when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

Not weird, just an enthusiast for hyper STOL that to me = safety in situations that are inherently unsafe. I'm also enthusiastic because I'm writing a book on flight safety. Spin resistant wing, 18 mph stall...really? I say it's huuge, why not be excited. Just my .02.

I think it was Hunter S. Thompson who said, "when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

When we can discuss Hunter S. Thompson and cub flying in the same thread, interesting is an understatement!:lol:

Dave, about this book on flight safety, maybe you could open a thread and give a preview. I am always looking for new material to assist in my flying and instruction.

Some cub photos showing you demonstrating the 18 mph stall would be super cool. Would be great to see where your perspective would comes from in practice.

Not a cub , not 18 mph, and not a photo but definitely 20 mph stall: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnHbdJ5Uupc . Turns out that is to slow. In spite of the video following mine where the guy claims to fly his in "20 mph winds" you are totally at the mercy of the wind and turbulence. If you enjoy getting the snot beat out of you or only flying at 6:00 AM then yes it's safer in all other ways but to use the rest of the "safety" then when you fly is severely restricted. There are reasons the J2 and the Jenny are not popular any more.
Now having a mechanical way to take the wing from stalling at 20 to stalling at 50 would be the cool trick.

Not a cub , not 18 mph, and not a photo but definitely 20 mph stall: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnHbdJ5Uupc . Turns out that is to slow. In spite of the video following mine where the guy claims to fly his in "20 mph winds" you are totally at the mercy of the wind and turbulence. If you enjoy getting the snot beat out of you or only flying at 6:00 AM then yes it's safer in all other ways but to use the rest of the "safety" then when you fly is severely restricted. There are reasons the J2 and the Jenny are not popular any more.
Now having a mechanical way to take the wing from stalling at 20 to stalling at 50 would be the cool trick.

If you think E2,J2 and Jennys aren't popular anymore your hanging with the wrong crowd ;-)

Glenn

Don't know about the two seaters but you can buy one like I had all hopped up for 5 grand. Can you do your own maintenance on a T craft? Get low time and great condition? Valdez performance, no tax, no license (pilot or airplane)? Fly at 20? I have stopped at the beginning of the "9" and been airborne at the end of the nine. I forgot to mention I'm close to 900' at the end of the 3000' runway. I don't know how long that number is but it's not very long. I sold mine last year before getting a couple of back operations and every "perfect morning" I regret it. BUT I was pointing out the limitations of a very slow flying aircraft and after a few years just going around the local areas early in the morning gets boring. Definitely not a waste of money though IMHO.

Last edited:
Back