• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Champ 7AC on floats?

As long as it's light it would be a fun airplane. I had a C90-8 Champ on EDO 1400 as my first floatplane and had 100+ hrs of fun on floats with it. I know of a 0235 Champ on PK floats for sale out by Syracuse.

Glenn

Last edited:
pb,
The PK float is a 1500 I believe but essentially a clone to the Edo 1400. The only C85 on floats I flew was on 1320's and it did ok but was feeling under floated with 2 adults in it. The 1500's would be better. I have hundreds of hours in Champs including 65,75, 85, 90, 0200, and Lycoming 0235 powered variants. I feel the C90 pulls the hardest and offers the most performance for what my needs were. There is a fair amount of difference between the 85 and 90 power plant. On paper it looks minimal but work the plane and there is a big difference. With some judgment my 7CCM with non electric C90 took me all over the place and did more work than I expected of it. Not a Cub by any means but It worked for me and I flew some good loads as far north as the Arctic. The 85HP 7BCM or 7DC will be just fine on floats and and be a real fun experience. On hot days with glassy water and 2 adults it will not do what the 90 can do. It might even require some real skill to get off the water. Some 85's are stroked or have the 0200 cylinders or modified someway like Dons Dream Machine shop does that tweaks the small Continentals. My Champ hours were my most enjoyable hours in my log books. I like how they fly over everything else I have steered in the sky.

Last edited:
champ.jpg

705U1896copy.jpg

IMG_8752.jpg

Float_flying_and_visitors_at_strip_.jpg

IMG_0112-1.jpg

Attachments

• champ.jpg
    champ.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 217
  • 705U1896copy.jpg
    705U1896copy.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 307
  • IMG_8752.jpg
    IMG_8752.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 246
  • Float_flying_and_visitors_at_strip_.jpg
    Float_flying_and_visitors_at_strip_.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_0112-1.jpg
    IMG_0112-1.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 352
Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I'd like a bit power more on floats, but it's s bit of a fleeting thought since straight floats wouldn't be the right setup all the time unless it was a second airplane. ��
Swapping skis and wheels is one thing, but on/off floats shouldn't be more than twice a year. A Champ for me is probably best left on wheels. There's also some plain Citabrias around that might be better suited for a short term wheel/ski machine. And actually a Champ with a Dons Dream Machine too, but a little high in price.

pb

Thanks for the replies. I'd like a bit power more on floats, but it's s bit of a fleeting thought since straight floats wouldn't be the right setup all the time unless it was a second airplane. ��
Swapping skis and wheels is one thing, but on/off floats shouldn't be more than twice a year. A Champ for me is probably best left on wheels. There's also some plain Citabrias around that might be better suited for a short term wheel/ski machine. And actually a Champ with a Dons Dream Machine too, but a little high in price.

pb

Champ is WAAAAY better on skis than Citabria, even given the Citab has more power.

Angle of attack, angle of incidence make a big difference. Floats to wheels 2 guys 3.5 hours, so changing is not that big of a deal.

Champ is WAAAAY better on skis than Citabria, even given the Citab has more power.
Angle of attack, angle of incidence make a big difference. Floats to wheels 2 guys 3.5 hours, so changing is not that big of a deal.
That doesn't surprise me as the Citabria probably needs the Scout gear to get the AOA up, and maybe gear and some 26" wheels. Problem is I'm trying to decide if I'm looking for an interim plane for just fun, or more purposeful. As always I'd like to put 5 lbs in a 1 lb bucket. Cost vs mission vs fun factor vs value.

But I appreciate the help.

Pb

Champ is great on skis, its lite, it's got bump sucking oleo gear and bigger inside when your wearing bulky clothing.

Bill Rusk wisdom, buy a plane for 90% of your flying, not the 10% you think you'll do.

Glenn

Scout gear on a Citabria; any 7 series looks good to the eye but not the weight and balance. I believe Scout gear weigh #66. Look at any 7 series Citabria on 8GCBC gear and do the math based on a legal and accurate weight and balance per 337. The numbers are not very attractive despite any gain in angle of attack. Every Citabria I have seen on Scout gear is a one passenger airplane.

Got any pictures.
As long as it's light it would be a fun airplane. I had a C90-8 Champ on EDO 1400 as my first floatplane and had 100+ hrs of fun on floats with it. I know of a 0235 Champ on PK floats for sale out by Syracuse.

Glenn

Owned a 7DC with 85 HP for one year in 1975. Flew it on floats,wheels, and skis,with a pretty flat prop and had a lot of fun with it. It taught me a lot as I flew it 300 hrs. in one year. Most I ever flew any plane in one yr. and I was working 50 yrs. a week to boot. Ahh, youth is great!

Bill Rusk wisdom, buy a plane for 90% of your flying, not the 10% you think you'll do.

Glenn

Don't say that, I can't afford a plane for the 90% of flying that fits the best mission, so I'm trying to find one to fit the 10%! Lol.
"GA airplanes are emotional purchases, don't try to justify it"... unknown grass dragger.

pb :)

40m, if you don't need the 0235, this one on Barnstormers is available up in Maine, with floats, skis and gear. Not a bad deal for the whole kit.

.watermarked_cca966f1d38033bb1f0d2a1250bd0ea4.jpg

Attachments

• .watermarked_cca966f1d38033bb1f0d2a1250bd0ea4.jpg
    .watermarked_cca966f1d38033bb1f0d2a1250bd0ea4.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 391
Back in 2005 a member posted the following on this site :

"I just purchased a 7AC Champ with a 115HP 0-235 in good shape with lots of extras for about that price and it only had around 400hrs on the engine. This Champ was a total rebuild about ten years ago. I think that is a little high by the way you discribe it. There was a 90HP in Brainerd,MN for 22K this summer and it only had about 80 hours SMOH. The plane was in excellent condition. Don't know if it still for sale though. Only reason I didn't get it was the one I bought had floats with it. The one in Brainerd was a nicer aircraft though.

I wished I had flown the 90HP model. The 115HP has a lot of weight on the nose and with full up-nose trim it takes quite a bit of pressure on the stick to keep the nose up on landing. It flies good with about 50lbs in the baggage compartment. It also is easier with a butt in the back seat. I don't have a lot of hours in it yet so my preception may change after I have flown it more."

Anyone have the same experience with the 115hp being nose heavy?
pb

Good buy IMO for that green Champ on Barnstormers. Floats look awful nice, I sold my PK's for $9500 and they were not that nice. Need more power at some point you can tweak the 85.

Last edited:
Ha, that's funny. Never ceases to amaze me how small the internet has made the world. Owner's name is Brian D?

pb
Yes his plane is in hangar. Seems like a nice plane. believe ed peck put all new skins on floats. I haven't seen a nicer set of pk,s. Had not known about him listing it on Barnstormers. IF u want to look at it 90ME airport.

Last edited:
Farmboy,
That old post was mine. I was just beginning my SES endorsement and had bought the Champ described. I quickly got use to the nose-heavy feeling, and in hindsight, it really wasn't as big of deal as I made it sound. While I owned and flew it, it was a blast, and some of my most memorable flying was done with it. Champs are great little planes! As has been mentioned, they have more useful load than the typical 7gcbc when on floats.
The one I owned is the white/orange one on Bushwheels in scouts pictures.

...The 115HP has a lot of weight on the nose and with full up-nose trim it takes quite a bit of pressure on the stick to keep the nose up on landing. It flies good with about 50lbs in the baggage compartment. It also is easier with a butt in the back seat. I don't have a lot of hours in it yet so my preception may change after I have flown it more."

Anyone have the same experience with the 115hp being nose heavy?
pb

Farmboy,
That old post was mine. I was just beginning my SES endorsement and had bought the Champ described. I quickly got use to the nose-heavy feeling, and in hindsight, it really wasn't as big of deal as I made it sound. While I owned and flew it, it was a blast, and some of my most memorable flying was done with it. Champs are great little planes!..
The 0-320 powered 7GCB which I had was also nose heavy on floats. It would run out of up elevator on landing unless it was landed very tail low and with a touch of power. Most of the time touching down a bit nose high it was impossible to keep the nose up as the step drag on touch down would overpower the up elevator. This problem was solved by cutting off the stabilizer just outboard of the outboard elevator hinge. This piece was then welded onto the elevator making the whole assembly the same as the later Citabrias. This mod increased the amount of elevator area increasing it's authority. Nose heavy problem solved, gone.

I also had to add the seaplane fins. Without the fins when the rudder was pushed and the plane skidded, it would remain flying sideways until the pilot corrected it.

The 0-320 powered 7GCB which I had was also nose heavy on floats. It would run out of up elevator on landing unless it was landed very tail low and with a touch of power. Most of the time touching down a bit nose high it was impossible to keep the nose up as the step drag on touch down would overpower the up elevator. This problem was solved by cutting off the stabilizer just outboard of the outboard elevator hinge. This piece was then welded onto the elevator making the whole assembly the same as the later Citabrias. This mod increased the amount of elevator area increasing it's authority. Nose heavy problem solved, gone.

I also had to add the seaplane fins. Without the fins when the rudder was pushed and the plane skidded, it would remain flying sideways until the pilot corrected it.

Very nice. Valuable information. Thanks Skywagon!
edit : sounds like it could have used a larger tail... again a'la Citabria.

Back