• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

CGR 30P install question

cubpilot2

SPONSOR
Anchorage Alaska
I am starting to install my first CGR 30P in my 18A project.
Where is the best location for the OAT probe to go?
Most easy locations may be affected by engine heat and/or potential damage.

Also are there any other "bear traps" that I should be aware of with this? It's the "basic" package.

Any ideas appreciated!

I may post some photos of this project later as it is my first attempt at creating a "glass panel" in a cub.
I never thought that I would do such a thing but with the new ADS-B rules and needing all new avionics along with some instruments anyway; it seemed like the logical path.

Im using the Garmin GTR 225 and GTX 345 ADSB in/out with GPS using the wireless link to an I-pad, centrally located in the panel. Is the I-Pad a good choice? It is the only part that Im not committed to.

I was surprised at the weight savings this will create; as I am ditching all the gyros, vacuum pump system, and several old "steam gages".

Thanks in advance

Mounted an OAT for my Scandia transponder on the bottom of the left side windshield wing fairing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's a wonderful instrument and EI customer service simply rocks!! The install guide is very thorough (i am novice at electrical and therefore was at first intimidated, but my install went great with this guide) Just call them if you have a question...they have time for you! True, saved a ton of weight in the panel
Put the brain box someplace you can get to if needed
Dont forget the rpm isolators or alt shunt
Follow fuel flow mounting instructions closely, it was a little cramped for my install. Got it nice though. Pic on request.
And when you get to calibrating said fuel flow, don't bother with auto k-factor (just telling it the actual gallons) , instead do the math ( (computed gallons * k factor) / actual gallons ) enter this new k factor. After a few fill ups this way I have errors of only a couple tenths of a gallon...very accurate. That small error probably due more to uneven ground at the pump, gas pump meter reading, etc. I Trust it well now after a couple hundred hours.
Nice purchase, you won't look back now that you're past the sticker shock

I put the OAT probe on the bottom left wing root fairing with a electrical plug on the lead. We have been making a small shelf Adel clamped to the tubing under the glare shield to mount the brain box to.

I put the OAT probe on the bottom left wing root fairing with a electrical plug on the lead. We have been making a small shelf Adel clamped to the tubing under the glare shield to mount the brain box to.

Steve: Is there any specific type of plug that you would recommend for this?

Ed,

Tried a fixed mounted iPad mini on my panel. I quickly found the sun would wash it out and had I no capability to change the angle. Went back to the adjustable Ram claw mount and cradle.

Bryan

And when you get to calibrating said fuel flow, don't bother with auto k-factor (just telling it the actual gallons) , instead do the math ( (computed gallons * k factor) / actual gallons ) enter this new k factor. After a few fill ups this way I have errors of only a couple tenths of a gallon...very accurate. That small error probably due more to uneven ground at the pump, gas pump meter reading, etc. I Trust it well now after a couple hundred hours.

I've done the K-factor calibration both ways, and using the "auto" method is dirt simple, and avoids the possibility of math errors. The manual calculation is basically done for you by the instrument, using the exact same formula, so it's not like one is going to be more accurate than the other. After two fill-ups (and auto-adjust calibrations), my CGR-30P was generally accurate within 0.1 gallons when I refueled at my home airport (always in the exact same place on the ramp). Away from home, it would be within 0.2 gallons.

As 75charlie said, this is one incredible instrument. I'm putting one in my Bearhawk Patrol experimental when the time comes. Love the readability, accuracy, and ease of use!

Back