• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Usfs beaver positions

Quite the change from back in the 70's where there were numerous seaplane operators and aircraft on the lake.

All of which changed when the FS convinced the powers that be to create Prohibited airspace over the Boundary Waters, which put a number of folks out of business. A travesty, to say the least, and fortunately one that hasn’t been repeated elsewhere.....so far.

MTV

All of which changed when the FS convinced the powers that be to create Prohibited airspace over the Boundary Waters, which put a number of folks out of business. A travesty, to say the least, and fortunately one that hasn’t been repeated elsewhere.....so far.

MTV

Most of them moved to AK. and became successful operators. Yes pretty sad, Ely and Shagawa lake were once the largest seaplane base in the world, now home only to Uncle Sam.

MTV

Why do they need aircraft if the airspace is 'Prohibited?' Oh, only for citizens.

I parked there once on floats and got a very curt reception. Good way to see our taxpayers hardware up close with a prompt agency response.

My dad an myself stopped in there one day (by car) as my dad wanted to introduce me to one of the pilots he knew. We got a full tour of the operation and planes! Great bunch of pilots and first class operation.

My dad an myself stopped in there one day (by car) as my dad wanted to introduce me to one of the pilots he knew. We got a full tour of the operation and planes! Great bunch of pilots and first class operation.

We are here year round and give lots of tours to folks who call and schedule as well as folks who just drop by. If anybody wants to fly in on floats for a tour, I guarantee you can park at our dock while you are here and nobody will give you any grief. Or come on skis in the winter and land on the groomed runway. We've got enough historical stuff here to qualify for museum status...

The no fly ban over the bwca (boundary waters canoe area) went into effect in 1949. 4000 feet above msl, about 2000 agl. In 1978 they added more lakes and land to the bwca. In 1949 Shagawa lake said to be the largest seaplane base in the world with 350 seaplanes. My Grandfather was flying out of there in the 40s. My aunt in the 50s. Many GIs got their ppl on the GI bill in Ely. Seaplanes were a good way to get around and make money from tourist. The flying ban put an end to seaplanes and their businesses.

Below a link to a good video on the forest service seaplane base. It was done by David Quam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwF8o5sbGDU

The Beaver has a 125gal water tank hanging between the floats that can be refilled from lakes on the go, they talk about it more in depth in the video. It doesn't sound like much water and it's not but my friend has a wilderness cabin (no road in) north of Trout lake and got to experience a couple water drops first hand. He said lightening started a fire near the cabin and it was getting out of hand when the Beaver appeared and made a drop, he said the instant humidity and moisture was enough to knock down the fire to where they could get in and tamp it down with shovels. The Ely operation really is a great benefit the USFS has done right thanks to all the great people involved with it. I make several trips a year into the area and hope to hear the Beavers for many years to come.

It's funny that I got a Supercub.org update with this post, as a few days ago I tried to Weasel my way into a job flying the FS Beaver. Alas, I'm too old! No age discrimination with the us.gov. Guess you have to be 37 years of younger (for some reason classified as a Fire Fighting job and not a pilot). Sounds like if you have military time, they may pro-rate that.

A hundred years ago, this was a highly sought after job that was hard to get. I know, I tried. I really enjoyed talking to Henny, and would like to pass along that if you can get past all the red tape, this may really be worth checking out.

What does it pay, just out of curiosity?

It's funny that I got a Supercub.org update with this post, as a few days ago I tried to Weasel my way into a job flying the FS Beaver. Alas, I'm too old! No age discrimination with the us.gov. Guess you have to be 37 years of younger (for some reason classified as a Fire Fighting job and not a pilot). Sounds like if you have military time, they may pro-rate that.

A hundred years ago, this was a highly sought after job that was hard to get. I know, I tried. I really enjoyed talking to Henny, and would like to pass along that if you can get past all the red tape, this may really be worth checking out.

There’s still time for me to get qualified! (Not in this hiring round but next one perhaps...)

Well Amy, unless the USFS raises the minimum age to at least 45, or gives up and sells the airplanes and contract out the flying, I bet that job will be there for you!

Hiring announcement out again today for two USFS Beaver pilots in Ely, MN. Application window closes on 03 Dec 2019. Same qualifications and age limits, supposedly easier application process. We will see...

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/552015200

Fire away or PM me with any questions.

Henny
cee6e539096284e3858d21b6.jpg

eb25e5560150c7b5bbfd873c.jpg

Attachments

• Beaver and Water Tower.jpeg
    Beaver and Water Tower.jpeg
    188 KB · Views: 222
  • Drop.jpg
    Drop.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 235
  • cee6e539096284e3858d21b6.jpg
    cee6e539096284e3858d21b6.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
Henny if I get a fake ID that says I am 39 do you think they will buy it? :p

sj

Were am I wrong the FS dock is on public waters and isn’t it a federal offense to tamper with an aircraft? What could they do claim you are interfering with their operation when they are hardly flying any more compared to a few years ago

Henry,

I’ve watched this thread with some interest for a while. Back many years ago, P.L. was my tailwheel flight instructor. If memory serves, I think he had gotten out of the Army a year or two before I got out of the Navy. Haven’t spoken to him in years but I still think he was one of the best instructors to come out of St. Cloud State. Super good guy. I was very jealous of of that job when I was laid off multiple times from the airlines and still in the right seat after 10 years making no money. Times have really, really changed in the past 10 years.

My son is just finishing his CFI and I asked if this would be something he would like. He said maybe but how can I afford it? $70k to start and top out around $97 with nearly $100 k in student loans? To us older guys it sounds great but how do they expect to compete when the airlines are offering $20 sign on bonuses and 5 years to a Boeing where you make 300k as a Captain? I think the government needs to have a more realistic salary to attract the talent they need. Just my 2 cents.

On on a lighter note, I just watched the video on YouTube about the Forest Service operation in Ely. What an awesome facility!! It’s a great video. They were showing some pictures from the early days in Ely which was really fantastic. I screen shot this:

F9EF2A50-C6D0-49A4-A60C-B316CCFE6B94.png

Do do you any idea who the man is in the picture? It must be on the wall up there. The reason I ask is I’m 90% sure that’s my airplane. The N number has been changed but it was delivered to Ely in 1947 direct from Lockhaven as a factory float plane. I’ll have to look in the paperwork but I’m pretty sure that’s it. NC2420M?

Attachments

• F9EF2A50-C6D0-49A4-A60C-B316CCFE6B94.png
    F9EF2A50-C6D0-49A4-A60C-B316CCFE6B94.png
    396.2 KB · Views: 250
Being a Govt pilot for 26 years..... I wonder why they can not keep pilots?

The Ely program has actually never had a problem keeping pilots. I believe that in the last 30 years or so, only 1 pilot hasn't stayed until retirement. Dean Lee backs this up in the SPA video linked in a previous post.

The problem lately has been getting qualified applicants with the experience required, who don't want to go to the airlines, are willing to move to Ely, and not come close to making what the airlines pay...

Not just the Forest Service. Anyone looking for round engine, web footed pilots right now is having a struggle.

We missed an entire generation of recruiting, those that came to aviation are all airline bound with easy paths- not a glut of military guys coming out of war now, and lots of seats to fill.

Many of those qualified now are mostly old, broken bodies and cantankerous. Great pilots, but fewer every day.

At one time, every pilot had to work at a 135 mill, or military training. Most tried like heck to get out of the Cherokees and sleds- so floats were a way out. Now? Heck, right seat in a 208 or Navajo right out of flight school, left seat in 208 at 500-1,000 hours, left seat in Navajo at about 2,000.

Oh well, my value keeps rising!

Henry,

I’ve watched this thread with some interest for a while. Back many years ago, P.L. was my tailwheel flight instructor. If memory serves, I think he had gotten out of the Army a year or two before I got out of the Navy. Haven’t spoken to him in years but I still think he was one of the best instructors to come out of St. Cloud State. Super good guy. I was very jealous of of that job when I was laid off multiple times from the airlines and still in the right seat after 10 years making no money. Times have really, really changed in the past 10 years.

My son is just finishing his CFI and I asked if this would be something he would like. He said maybe but how can I afford it? $70k to start and top out around $97 with nearly $100 k in student loans? To us older guys it sounds great but how do they expect to compete when the airlines are offering $20 sign on bonuses and 5 years to a Boeing where you make 300k as a Captain? I think the government needs to have a more realistic salary to attract the talent they need. Just my 2 cents.

On on a lighter note, I just watched the video on YouTube about the Forest Service operation in Ely. What an awesome facility!! It’s a great video. They were showing some pictures from the early days in Ely which was really fantastic. I screen shot this:

View attachment 45736

Do do you any idea who the man is in the picture? It must be on the wall up there. The reason I ask is I’m 90% sure that’s my airplane. The N number has been changed but it was delivered to Ely in 1947 direct from Lockhaven as a factory float plane. I’ll have to look in the paperwork but I’m pretty sure that’s it. NC2420M?

Yep, PL is a pretty good instructor. He and I overlapped for about a year and he got me spooled up on all the missions that we fly. I rarely see him anymore since he retired, even though he lives less than a half mile down the road from us.

Couldn't agree more with you about government pay for pilots. There is actually a push from several government agencies to raise the pilot pay in an attempt to try and hire and retain quality folks. USFS is a little late in getting its ducks in a row with requesting it, but I believe that NASA and one other agency (maybe CBP) got it approved and received something like a 25% base pay raises across the board for all pilots. Still doesn't compare to airline pay, but at least it is a start. We look for folks with the required hours, preferred float plane experience, who don't want to go to the airlines, are willing to live year-round in Northern Minnesota and fly 60-plus year old airplanes, and do it for a decent salary (especially for the Ely area.) Oh yeah, and you have to be hired before you turn 37. Makes for a pretty small pool of folks considering the current opportunities for pilots. And don't get me started on the USFS HR department and numerous qualified pilots not getting through the initial look to make it to an interview...

We offered a position to a gentlemen earlier this year, but he was already working for a regional and decided to stick with the airline route.

I don't know the gentleman's name in the photo off the top of my head but I believe he was a local DNR game warden. I won't be back in Ely until right before Christmas, but I picked PL's brain before he left and I got details from him about every photo in the building with names and dates. I will take a look at it when I get back and let you know who he is.

Last edited:
Henry,

View attachment 45736

My Grandfather was from Ely. He had a Stinson that he metalized and painted blue. He moved to the Clear Lake area in the late 60s and kept his plane with Bob at Clear Lake. It was damaged in a wind storm in the mid 70s at the Clear Lake airport. Instead of fixing it he gave the Stinson to Bob. Yours is a Piper 12?

Last edited:
I don't know the gentleman's name in the photo off the top of my head but I believe he was a local DNR game warden. I won't be back in Ely until right before Christmas, but I picked PL's brain before he left and I got details from him about every photo in the building with names and dates. I will take a look at it when I get back and let you know who he is.

Is the name you are looking "Bob Hodge"? There is a picture of Bob Hodge in Bob Carys book "Bush Pilots" with a Piper? But it has a different paint scheme than the plane in the picture. The paint scheme on the plane in the book looks similar to the plane in KJCs avatar.

Last edited:
Is the name you are looking "Bob Hodge"? There is a picture of Bob Hodge in Bob Carys book "Bush Pilots" with a Piper? But it has a different paint scheme.

That names sounds familiar. I think you may be correct. I will have to verify next month when I am back there.

That age limit kinda sucks. Sounds like it cuts out MANY qualified applicants. Airlines don’t seem to have a problem with hiring older pilots wonder why the government does. A 50 yr old pilot still has a sh#$ load of flying to be done, even as a new hire.

Back