• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Usfs beaver positions

Is PL still over there? I stopped in once and he showed us around the hanger and the Beavers. I was just starting out in the airlines then, didn't have a float rating. They track wolves and count moose in the winter. Yeah, dream job is right.

Wish I had my commercial, instrument and a few more hours. That would definitely be a dream job!

If a bull frog had wings he wouldn't bump his butt across the lily pads........

Oft times government job discriptions are written for a specific person in mind. If for some reason they fail to qualify and/or someone else does, the job will be closed and position re-written. Not always but a possibility. Been on both sides of that old equation.

Jack

Last edited:
This is what I love.

[h=5]Who May Apply[/h] Current permanent Federal employees with competitive status, reinstatement eligibles, persons with disabilities, VEOA eligibles, VRA eligibles up to GS-11, certain military spouses, 30% or more disabled veterans, former Peace Corps or VISTA volunteers, CTAP/ICTAP eligibles, Farm Service Agency permanent county employees and those eligible for other Special Hiring Authorities

Disabled pilots? Probably ok depending on details?

It does remind me of a old friend at APG in the 70's. Major/army aviator. Shot down and wounded flying an O2 in VN, got well and served another tour. Was assigned to the Army BRL and got a flying job on the side to keep his flight pay . Local flight surgeon failed him for the same war injury so he appealed and went to Walter Reed and they failed him too. Wound(one of several) that caused failure was left arm, had like a 10% disability.

Well enough to fly combat but not a dream job stateside...........

Last edited:
If a bull frog had wings he wouldn't bump his butt across the lily pads........

Oft times government job discriptions are written for a specific person in mind. If for some reason they fail to qualify and/or someone else does, the job will be closed and position re-written. Not always but a possibility. Been on both sides of that old equation.

Jack

All those qualifications are standard required by OPM for all agencies to hire in the GS 2181 series.

As to disabilities, that is OPM boilerplate. I can tell you from experience that "requirement" is easily and often sidestepped. Nevertheless, there are lots of disabilities which don't preclude passing a flight physical.

These would indeed be great jobs, but bear in mind these folks probably don't fly a lot of hours per year. A lot of airline types apply for these kinds of jobs thinking they'll be flying a lot, then are disgruntled because they don't fly that much and are expexcted to perform "other duties".

Do some research before applying and ask a few questions.

MTV

Take it from a man that knows, these are not the jobs they once were...........

Mike

Nothing is. Police officer, gold miner, teacher, bus driver, construction worker, logger, farmer, big game guide, commercial pilot, restaurant owner Just about any job now is over regulated and has had some of the life squeezed out of it compared to what that job was years ago. Yep,experiencing it also.

Nothing is. Police officer, gold miner, teacher, bus driver, construction worker, logger, farmer, big game guide, commercial pilot, restaurant owner Just about any job now is over regulated and has had some of the life squeezed out of it compared to what that job was years ago. Yep,experiencing it also.

True, but nevertheless, any job is what you make of it. These jobs would still be a great way to make a living IF you go into them with the right expectations and attitude.

There are a hell of a lot worse jobs out there, for sure.

MTV

My last forest fire I was on, back in the day; I was running a chain saw and almost went to prison for not being carded to operate a Stihl 034. There is some truth how progression has crimped job satisfaction.

I was a GS-11 step 10 when I retired in 1994 and I was far from a 1%er. Was about $50K then, $62K now. Top pay for GS-12 is about $80K, hardly rich. But yea, If I were younger and had the ratings etc. it might be a nice ride

Jack

Last edited:
You can get a nice house for 70-100k. PITI in the $400/month range. A GS12 would make over twice the family median income for Ely. The winters are a bit chilly however. You could live pretty darn good up nort on that government pay is what I was getting at and the Finlanders still out number the Swedes and Norwegians. Ufda.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For those who wonder why the age 37 cutoff, these are fire jobs, and fire jobs have mandatory retirement at age 57, so 37 plus 20 (minimum years to retire) equals 57.

MTV

For those who wonder why the age 37 cutoff, these are fire jobs, and fire jobs have mandatory retirement at age 57, so 37 plus 20 (minimum years to retire) equals 57.

MTV
Well, I have my 20 already in the fire/LE gig and still have 4 years until 57. Plenty of float time, maybe it is time for a change. Hell, I am even government carded.......

In that part of the country a man with big money will own TWO used cars!!! Great people and wonderfull place to live.
DENNY

Well, I have my 20 already in the fire/LE gig and still have 4 years until 57. Plenty of float time, maybe it is time for a change. Hell, I am even government carded.......

Youd fall under one of those exemptions, Mike.

MTV

This must be a different Ely. The Ely I know and sort of love is land locked. They do have a spectacular steam railway.

The Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness, is a 1,090,000-acre wilderness area within the Superior National Forest in northeastern part of the US state of Minnesota under the administration of the U.S. Forest Service. Ely is the home base for the Boundry Waters. Putting up with all the government BS, so you could fly a beaver for a few hundred hours a year...Doesn’t fit my description of a dream job.

Hiring announcement out today for two pilot positions in Ely. Same hour requirements and age limits as last time, but they did change some of the questionnaire items which will hopefully help us get some more qualified applicants.

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/508545700

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/508547100

Little HennyCub promo video for your viewing pleasure. Sound on and 1080 for max enjoyment.

Too bad I don’t have my instrument rating yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too bad I don’t have my instrument rating yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drivers up here can make up to $500/day flying floats.

A good beaver guy can work a lodge at that for four months and have the winter off. Paperwork? We don't need no paperwork...

Me, I like to be home, so just fill in this summer. A little less than lodges, but good daily.

Low time float guys seem to start at $250/day, unless you get lucky.

Of course, in the flying world if a company is offering the 'going rate' for pilots they are behind the times. Pay is going up faster than fuel prices with the current shortage.

Tom, don't mean to get your goat- but why not? Get that stupid thing and come fly up here a few months each year!!

Can anyone dock their seaplane at the forest service dock? Or is there a public seaplane dock in Ely?
Thanks Jim

Can anyone dock their seaplane at the forest service dock? Or is there a public seaplane dock in Ely?
Thanks Jim

The Forest Service dock is not for public use. There is a city/customs dock just east of there in the same bay that I have seen folks tie up to overnight. The Grand Ely Lodge also has a dock if you are dining or staying there.

Quite the change from back in the 70's where there were numerous seaplane operators and aircraft on the lake.

Would the city/customs dock be the one with a hangar 50 yards east of the forest service dock? Wouldn't want to tie up to the wrong dock.

Thank you Henny

No, that is an old private one that shows up on Google Maps, but has fallen into such disrepair that there isn't anything left to tie up to. The customs dock is 268 yards east of the USFS dock, is L-shaped and is right in front of a big tan building that belongs to the City of Ely public works. There is a cream and blue colored Aeronca on floats tied up in the weeds just to the west of it.

Back